Possible for dealer to cause an error remotely

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electryic

My older model leaf is in mint condition and gets *extremely* light usage. No freeway, very low miles, always garaged and only used for a few small trips per week.

After 4 years of never having an issue I contacted the local Nissan dealer to inquire about the battery warranty. My vehicle was in their system because I needed a spare key when I first purchased the car. A few days after contacting the dealer, an error mysteriously appeared saying "visit dealer" and it has to do with the parking brake.

Could the dealer have caused this error to come up using Leaf connect (i.e. when it connects to the network etc) and is there anyway to see where that error originated from, i.e. possibly using Leaf Spy or something similar?

I am getting the feeling that the dealer was trying to hash up business and can possibly access my Leaf's computer system remotely. Any opinions or information would be helpful.

Fortunately, no, because the 2G radios in them went offline when 2G service was shutdown by phone carriers years ago (unless you got the 3G radio upgrade?) Even if you did have the 3G radio, they can't mess with the vehicle like that remotely as far as all the hackers know. :mrgreen:

The brake actuator is likely overheating, but another possibility is that it's full of water:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17757&start=20#p538806

If you are handy, you could take it apart, clean it up with solvent, lubricate any friction points, and see if that resolves the issue.

LEAFSpy would give you the error code(s) and let you clear them too.

If the car was sitting idle for a long time, there might have been some rust, causing the actuator to stick. So, after clearing codes, it might not come back

Back