Is anyone getting over $2000 off a new 2021 SL/SV plus in dealer discount?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc500

Is anyone getting over $2000 off a new 2021 SL/SV plus in dealer discount (excluding rebates?)

Best is coming up $150 under invoice with VPP. Is that all I can get? It's roughly $2000-2200 off MSRP

Supply of most new cars is super tight these days. I’d say that’s a great deal in this market. Don’t see it getting better for a while.

It depends on your shopping location and program.

Here in the New England area, you can shop via the Green Energy Consumers Alliance with a few participating dealers and get about $9000 off MSRP (Drive Green discount) for an SV+ or SL+ Leaf.

:cry:
pc500 said:
No special programs are available other than a sales tax waiver.

Looking at Nissan web site for Leaf offers it shows $7,500 cash back if financed with NMAC or $6,000 plus 0% financing

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/electric-cars/leaf/deals-incentives-offers.html

Local dealers are advertising discounts of $2,200 but then they add up to $999 for dealer fees.

Gw5qFK9l.jpg

Yeah I'm still eligible for all rebates I'm just curious about the dealer discount.

Are you willing to look at remaining 2020 stock? Not sure about your area but when we were shopping back in March there was still a bunch of 2020 stock. We got a solid deal. Worth looking into.

I will poke around Do you remember what the dealer discount was separate from rebates?

If you're getting a VPP deal, that is basically the floor, traditionally speaking. If there were tons of inventory just sitting you could do better, but now is not that time. It seemed to be a buyers market at the end of 2020, now the situation is flipped, hopefully temporarily.

Yup, I got $5200 dealer discount in April 2020. I suspect it was a covid discount.

Local dealer agreed to the $7500 discount, then later upped it to the same as the "lease" discount of $10,000. They then added over $1000 in "dealer prep" items. I actually needed a $350 dealer prep item (all glass tinting) and they cut the remaining in half. So the final discount showed up as $10,489. I traded in my 2012 Leaf with 53,000 miles for $4000. I was OK with that to reduce tha sales tax and not having to fool with the selling stuff. I hope to get the $7,500 tax credit on 2021 taxes - we'll see how that all goes with the current push for EV sales - could it even get better? (I doubt it).

Very good datapoint. The lease discount technically isn't really valid, because that assumes Nissan keeps the tax credit money. I suspect Nissan is keeping this artificially low to avoid "cheapening" the car too much with lease payments, there's no reason it shouldn't be $15,000.

In your case, it sounds like you actually received a $2500 dealer discount (which is good, BTW). Trade offer wasn't bad either.

Almost certainly yours numbers include the $7500 cash rebate (if you buy without Nissan financing).

pc500 said:
Yup, I got $5200 dealer discount in April 2020. I suspect it was a covid discount.

In addition to the $5,200 dealer discount did you also get the $7,500 rebate and were you also eligible for the $7,500 tax credit? That would put you $20,200 under MSRP.

When I bought our 2020 back in November 2020 the negotiated dealer discount for my SL Plus was $4,732 off the $45,395 MSRP then they added $1,000 in misc BS dealer fees so real discount was only $3,732. On the contract they then applied the $6,500 rebate as down payment which makes the rebate taxable where dealer discount isn’t taxable. I was also eligible fir full $7,500 tax credit and got my $7000+ tax refund check instead of owing the IRS $500 last month.

Here’s the contract.

MSRP was $45,395 on the window sticker.

NoaJMzdl.jpg

pc500 said:
Very good datapoint. The lease discount technically isn't really valid, because that assumes Nissan keeps the tax credit money. I suspect Nissan is keeping this artificially low to avoid "cheapening" the car too much with lease payments, there's no reason it shouldn't be $15,000.

In your case, it sounds like you actually received a $2500 dealer discount (which is good, BTW). Trade offer wasn't bad either.

Almost certainly yours numbers include the $7500 cash rebate (if you buy without Nissan financing).

The discounts ($10,489) where dealer discounts and cash rebate. Should be eligible for any Federal tax credits in 2021 (hopefully).
(Note - edited after reading your post more carefully :shock: )

Marktm said:
I hope to get the $7,500 tax credit on 2021 taxes - we'll see how that all goes with the current push for EV sales - could it even get better? (I doubt it).

I originally read this as, with more EVs being sold the Nissan credit will start phasing out like Tesla and GM. But no you are good there since when you bought it the credit was in effect. Re-reading it seems like you meant they might increase the tax credit..... those aren't usually done retroactively but you never know. As it stands now just make sure you have 7500 in taxes owed before OTHER credits (including INCREASED child credits) since at least up to 2020 tax year, the EV credit was NOT refundable. So if you had 5000 in tax liability, your credit is $5000 not 7500. If you need to you can convert IRA or 401k to Roth, and "pay the taxes" just so that you get to use the full credit if you need to.

gillmj24 said:
I originally read this as, with more EVs being sold the Nissan credit will start phasing out like Tesla and GM. But no you are good there since when you bought it the credit was in effect. Re-reading it seems like you meant they might increase the tax credit..... those aren't usually done retroactively but you never know. As it stands now just make sure you have 7500 in taxes owed before OTHER credits (including INCREASED child credits) since at least up to 2020 tax year, the EV credit was NOT refundable. So if you had 5000 in tax liability, your credit is $5000 not 7500. If you need to you can convert IRA or 401k to Roth, and "pay the taxes" just so that you get to use the full credit if you need to.

The tax credits - according to the internet :shock: start reducing at a certain number of EVs sold by the entire corporation. My uncertainty is when does Nissan's number reach that (200,000?) number and did I squeak under (I do believe so). Will the Feds increase these credits and could it be for the entire 2021 year? Like you, I'm very doubtful, but since I can use the entire credit this year, I'll be satisfied with the $7500 for sure. I'm also interested in the Texas rebate of $2500, but that has to be renewed each year and has not yet been. Also, not sure if it would be for any 2021 purchase or after the program restarts (if it does).

Marktm said:
My uncertainty is when does Nissan's number reach that (200,000?) number and did I squeak under (I do believe so).
You are fine.

The phase-out of the federal tax credit starts one quarter after the quarter in which the manufacturer sold its 200kth EV in the USA. So e.g,, if the trigger sale occurred anywhere between Jan 1 and March 30th, the tax credit would decrease as of July 1st. Back in the day, Tesla gamed this rule and delayed deliveries to the start of a quarter so that the full tax credit would continue for almost 6 months longer.

---
As the green bill is currently written, it will only apply to EVs bought after the bill is passed. I don't expect that to change since the bill is mostly a small rewrite of the bill already in effect.

pc500 said:
Is anyone getting over $2000 off a new 2021 SL/SV plus in dealer discount (excluding rebates?)

Best is coming up $150 under invoice with VPP. Is that all I can get? It's roughly $2000-2200 off MSRP

We got ours recently and they knocked off like $2500 + 7500

I got mine in early May for $3000 + $7500 below MSRP. The $3000 came from the dealer and the $7500 from Nissan. Some of the dealer discount was from a promotion by our local utility company (Xcel).

Back