Trying to determine market value of current 24kw 76% SOH battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medtech1

I've decided to upgrade the 24kw battery on my 2013 Leaf. It has an SOH of just over 76% (guess-oh-meter consistently shows +/- 110km range), and I have an opportunity to upgrade to one that has over 94% SOH for about $6300 CDN with a place in Langley, BC.

I can't seem to find any examples of people selling used batteries to determine what my current battery is worth.

Putting ads online (not here) have resulted in some people telling me my 76% SOH battery isn't worth more than $800. CDN. yet I see the battery modules going for $80 and up USD.

Anyone know what is a reasonable price to ask for a 2013 76% 24kw SOH battery?

Thanks!

You'll certainly get much more money for it by opening the case and selling the modules individually. That isn't a trivial thing to do since a mistake could be fatal. If you don't want to do that, your second best option is to sell it to someone who would do that. I doubt anyone will put the battery into a Leaf or EV conversion. It's only real value at this point IMO is as modules for solar or other hobby uses.

That's what I was thinking of doing is pulling the modules out.

If the value isn't worth more than $1000 or $1500 as a battery pack, I'd rather keep the modules for our own solar project.

The battery would still be desirable as a storage unit for a home power system. (Think Powerwall.) I suggest you look in home power publications and websites. You may find someone looking for a used Leaf pack, or other people selling them. My own wild guess at the market value would be $2k.

2013 LEAF pack modules go for about $125 CAD on eBay. So, with 48 modules in a 24 kWh pack, that's roughly $2000.

Obviously though, you'd have to pay someone to disassemble the pack first - probably 6 hours of work anyways and at least $500 (likely more).

You mentioned:

I have an opportunity to upgrade to one that has over 94% SOH for about $6300 CDN

I sure hope you aren't spending that kind of money on a 24 kWh pack or even on a 30 kWh pack. $6300 CAD for a 40 kWh pack would be a much better deal.

$6300 CAD would be a good deal on a genuinely good 30kwh pack in a cool climate. I agree about the 24kwh pack, unless it will serve the needs of the buyer for ~10 years.

How could any 24kwh pack still be sitting around at over 94% SOH? Just the age factor would cause it to degrade more than that.

i'm guessing that someone has reset the control unit for an artificial reading. i sure wouldn't want to pay for it without additional independent testing such as a discharge capacity test.

LeftieBiker said:
$6300 CAD would be a good deal on a genuinely good 30kwh pack in a cool climate. I agree about the 24kwh pack, unless it will serve the needs of the buyer for ~10 years.

The OPs current 24 kWh pack is paid for already and there's likely 17 kWh of useable capacity. A 30 kWh pack, with 85% SOH, might have 25 kWh of useable capacity.

Assuming the 24 kWh pack is worth $1300, in essence the OP is spending $5k ($6300 - $1300) to gain 8 kWh of capacity - more than $600 / kWh.

nlspace said:
How could any 24kwh pack still be sitting around at over 94% SOH? Just the age factor would cause it to degrade more than that.

i'm guessing that someone has reset the control unit for an artificial reading. i sure wouldn't want to pay for it without additional independent testing such as a discharge capacity test.

This is my thought too.
Beware, OP

medtech1 said:
I have an opportunity to upgrade to one that has over 94% SOH for about $6300 CDN with a place in Langley, BC.
If the replacement is a 24 kWh battery it is a terrible deal, made worse by the likelihood the '94% SOH' is not real

coleafrado2 said:
There are three-year Bolt leases out there with total cost close to $6k.
Yeah, see https://electrek.co/best-electric-vehicle-leases/. There are also some cheap Leaf leases in there.

Unfortunately, OP is in Canada.

LeftieBiker said:
Nissan batteries are rarely a bargain. My point is that a good 30kwh pack is a better deal than a good 24kwh pack for the same price - nothing more.

Agreed, but I do think the marginal cost increase isn't worth the price of admission unless you can double the capacity. So, personally I wouldn't even consider a battery pack replacement for anything less than a 40 kWh pack.

DavidFilmer said:
May I inquire how many miles you have on that battery pack?

You certainly may, but of all the typical factors in determining the value of used cars and their parts, odometer mileage - at least until you reach 100k miles or so and excepting suspension and steering parts - is one of the least useful when applied to EVs. In the case of battery packs, the main determining factors are capacity, chemistry and, in some cases, whether or not the pack is thermally managed. (Although I don't yet know of any cases in which a thermally managed pack is being used for purposes like solar PV energy storage. Are Tesla Power Walls thermally managed...?) A LeafSpy Pro report on a used pack is worth much more than knowing the odometer mileage.

Back