Nissan Dealer not honoring battery capacity warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitrals

I own a 2016 Nissan Leaf SV with 66K miles and 8 bars. The BMS update has been made and it is a 30kWH battery. Leafspy is at 60.1% SOH. I took it to the dealer for battery capacity warranty and the dealer claims the battery is within parameters.

I showed them this in the warranty book "LITHIUM-ION BATTERY CAPACITY COVERAGE In addition to the lithium-ion Battery Coverage for defects in materials or workmanship, the lithium-ion battery is also warranted against capacity loss below nine bars of capacity as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for a period of 60 months or 60,000 miles, for vehicles equipped with the 24 kWh battery or 96 months or100,000 miles for vehicles equipped with the 30kWh battery, whichever comes first."

They claim this section of page 9 "The lithium-ion battery (EV battery), like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under this warranty beyond the terms and limits specified in the LITHIUM-ION BATTERY CAPACITY COVERAGE above. See your OWNER’S MANUAL for important tips on how to maximize the life and capacity of the “Lithium-ion battery."

I explained the word beyond and they just do not seem to understand. The dealer said I should call Nissan to start a warranty clain. I called Nissan consumer affairs and they assigned a case and someone from "Out of warranty Goodwill" will call. This is the lamest thing I have heard since the car is still under capacity warranty. While I wait for Nissan to come back is there anything I can do?

I told the service manager that it is on the dealership to do warranty claims and not me. This is a leaf certified dealer. They said the tech will call Nissan today. I cannot believe I am getting this run around. I think one option is to pick up the car from them and take it to another certified dealer but I will have to pay $138 diag fees at the first dealer.

mitrals said:
I told the service manager that it is on the dealership to do warranty claims and not me. This is a leaf certified dealer. They said the tech will call Nissan today.
Where do you read in the warranty that this is true? It's up to you to file a claim.

The dealer doesn't decide, it is the corporate level that decides, supplies and pays for the replacement pack and repair work. The dealer gets reimbursed from corporate for doing the work.

You already contacted corporate, and now the dealer said the tech would call them. So you have 2 separate claim activities pursuing the same pack--now what do you want to start a third?

They aren't going to be in any hurry since it comes out of their pocket. Eventually someone at corporate will realize that even though it is a 2016, that it has the 96 month/100k battery.

Where do you read in the warranty that this is true? It's up to you to file a claim.

Why do you say this...? It's up to the customer/owner/lessee to report an issue. It is then up to the dealership to handle it from there. Having to twist a dealer's arm to get them to do their job doesn't mean that you were obligated by the warranty to do so.

nlspace said:
mitrals said:
I told the service manager that it is on the dealership to do warranty claims and not me. This is a leaf certified dealer. They said the tech will call Nissan today.

The dealer doesn't decide, it is the corporate level that decides, supplies and pays for the replacement pack and repair work. The dealer gets reimbursed from corporate for doing the work.

You already contacted corporate, and now the dealer said the tech would call them. So you have 2 separate claim activities pursuing the same pack--now what do you want to start a third?

They aren't going to be in any hurry since it comes out of their pocket. Eventually someone at corporate will realize that even though it is a 2016, that it has the 96 month/100k battery.

You have explained a PERFECT example of why the dealership model is working so poorly. A good dealership would have taken the extra steps to verify and address the customer concern. This dealership failed to do that ON EVERY LEVEL.

If I would have gone to corporate first, they simply would have sent me to the dealer. It IS the dealer's job to vet customer concerns then escalate to corporate as needed provided the customer has a valid claim;

does he have 4 bars missing on the dash? YES\
Did he do the LBC update? YES
Is he within the 8 year time limit? YES
Is he within the 100,000 mile limitation? YES

The dealership rates a ONE only because ZERO isn't an option.

Pay the $138 diagnostic fee; just make sure they give you the results. Then continue to pursue with Nissan and once they approve of the warranty claim, take it to some other Nissan repair facility. If the first dealership were assholes about your warranty, they will likely be assholes about the repair. If Nissan does not approve warranty service within a reasonable timeframe, get legal assistance.

I spoke to the service advisor again today and he said the tech ran the capacity numbers and is talking to nissan. I am expecting to hear back tomorrow.

Spoke to the service manager today and he said Nissan has approved repairs but the parts will be here in 4 to 6 weeks. I will go pick up the car and verify what he means by parts. I am hoping it is a new 40kWh battery. Fingers crossed.

mitrals said:
Spoke to the service manager today and he said Nissan has approved repairs but the parts will be here in 4 to 6 weeks. I will go pick up the car and verify what he means by parts. I am hoping it is a new 40kWh battery. Fingers crossed.

I would say congrats but it was the only possible conclusion. FYI; the "4 to 6 weeks" statement is standard and real life says it will be anywhere from a week to 2 months but most seem to be well within 2 weeks. All depends on how you hit their cycle.

On the 40 kwh pack. Nissan "officially" announced well over a year ago that they were no longer using 30 kwh packs.

DaveinOlyWA said:
On the 40 kwh pack. Nissan "officially" announced well over a year ago that they were no longer using 30 kwh packs.
Yeah, see https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=583638#p583638.

I doubt that there's been any change to the above given Nissan AFAIK doesn't sell 30 kWh Leafs any longer by still sells 40 kWh ones.

I got the car back today and the work order says battery needs replacement and is on backorder. One step closer to a new battery.

mitrals said:
I got the car back today and the work order says battery needs replacement and is on backorder. One step closer to a new battery.

Now start praying that your nimcompoop dealership does not install the battery upside down.

SageBrush said:
mitrals said:

Now start praying that your nimcompoop dealership does not install the battery upside down.

If that happens, Mitrals would just need to push the shifter forward to go forward and back for reverse.**

**This was a joke--do not take seriously!

GerryAZ said:
SageBrush said:
mitrals said:

If that happens, Mitrals would just need to push the shifter forward to go forward and back for reverse.**

That should have been the case when they built the shifter! Front should have been forward and not vice versa :) Now it is just wait for 6 weeks or so for a replacement battery. Right now the range works but when I go back to work in September my range will not be enough. Hoping it shows up sooner than later!

nlspace said:
mitrals said:

I just followed what the dealer asked me to do. In the past whenever there has been an issue with any car I would take it to the dealer, they would address the concern and if it was under warranty they would reach out to the manufacturer. I have never had to file a warranty claim myself.

mitrals said:
GerryAZ said:
SageBrush said:

That should have been the case when they built the shifter! Front should have been forward and not vice versa :) Now it is just wait for 6 weeks or so for a replacement battery. Right now the range works but when I go back to work in September my range will not be enough. Hoping it shows up sooner than later!

Why do you prefer D being forward? To me that is against my momentum when slowing to change directions which "is" a thing since coming to a full stop is not required.

DaveinOlyWA said:
mitrals said:
GerryAZ said:

Why do you prefer D being forward? To me that is against my momentum when slowing to change directions which "is" a thing since coming to a full stop is not required.

Maybe it might be intuitive. Move the shifter forward to go forward and back to move in reverse :)

mitrals said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
mitrals said:

Maybe it might be intuitive. Move the shifter forward to go forward and back to move in reverse :)

"intuitive" is a word created by programmers in an effort to be socially acceptable when saying "its my way or the highway" :lol:

Seems like there needs to be an edit to the Title Subject of this thread, no need to throw dealers under the bus.

nlspace said:
Seems like there needs to be an edit to the Title Subject of this thread, no need to throw dealers under the bus.

Opinion noted. I, however feel the dealer in question deserves it. I also don't remember anyone mentioning the actual dealer in question but I could be wrong. I actually got involved in this conversation on Facebook and kinda migrated here

Back