Questions regarding upgrade to 22 SV+

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt84vhf

Currently own a ‘16 SV, and I have a hold on a ‘22 SV+ that is in transit to the dealer. I realize there are a lot of similarities (which was part of my decision calculus) but there are a few minor detail items that I can’t immediate seem to nail down.

Are the floor mats the same? If I have all weather or weather tech mats in the 16, will they fit in the new car?

Is the Nissan telematics / Carwings experience any better in the new cars? I gave up on mine in the 16 a long time ago. Way too slow to even spend time on.

Not a comparison question, but curious if anyone has details on why the range for the SV/SL Plus models is lower than the S Plus. Is it simply the difference between steel and alloy wheels?

Thanks

I just purchased a 2020 SV (at salvage) for the battery pack, so I have some perspective on a Gen2 vs Gen1 Leaf.

rt84vhf said:
Are the floor mats the same? If I have all weather or weather tech mats in the 16, will they fit in the new car?
The "standard" floor mats from the new car fit in my car; don't know if they are "all weather" or not...but they fit in the same spot/space.

rt84vhf said:
Is the Nissan telematics / Carwings experience any better in the new cars? I gave up on mine in the 16 a long time ago. Way too slow to even spend time on.
From a user perspective, the telematics experience is about the same (although I don't share your negative view). However, the most important part is: the Gen1 Leaf only has a 3G modem (and will not work when they shut the 3G network down in early 2022), and the Gen2 Leaf has a 4G modem (so it will continue to work).

The all-weather floor mats i took from my 2011 SL and placed in my 2018 SL fit pretty good, not a perfect fit, but for practical use they were fine. The 2018 and 2022 have the same floor pan.

We drove a 2013 SV and now drive a pair.of 2019 Pluses (S+ and SV+ ..with aftermarket Leather). Basically, my wife gets the SV+ and me and the kids drive the S+.

I agree telematics is similar, except the 2019.can do additional things like lock/unlock the doors and a better car find feature if you forget where to park.

In terms of range and driving dynamics, the S+ "feels" lighter and more responsive to drive. I made a few crappy videos to talk about it, as none of the car vblogs test the S+, only the SL+.

On an average warmish day, at 70mph, our SV+ will average 3.4-3.5 miles/kWh. The S+ does 4.1-4.2 . I have replaced the factory rims with EV01s, and now regularly see 4.3-4.4. The difference is enough that we generally only take the S+ for long trips. The efficiency differences are due to 1. Smaller/lighter rims, 2. lower ride height, 3. narrower tires, 4. fewer electronic systems, 5. lighter over mass of vehicle.

https://youtu.be/V3Ylj_Z7CFY

Thanks for the detailed response. I didn’t expect so much difference between the two. Curb weight difference is just over 60 pounds, based on the ‘22 spec sheet.

I’m curious why there is a ride height difference. You see that in the spec sheet as well. Maybe has to do with Propilot performance? Total speculation.

Given the efficiency difference, I may have chosen an S+ if one had been available, but I did want ProPilot so it would have only made the decision more complicated.

And maybe I’ll give the telematics another shot. I don’t know if it was just my 3G coverage in my area, but it was incredibly slow when I used it on my ‘16. Maybe 4G will make things work better.

DougWantsALeaf said:
We drove a 2013 SV and now drive a pair.of 2019 Pluses (S+ and SV+ ..with aftermarket Leather). Basically, my wife gets the SV+ and me and the kids drive the S+.

I agree telematics is similar, except the 2019.can do additional things like lock/unlock the doors and a better car find feature if you forget where to park.

In terms of range and driving dynamics, the S+ "feels" lighter and more responsive to drive. I made a few crappy videos to talk about it, as none of the car vblogs test the S+, only the SL+.

On an average warmish day, at 70mph, our SV+ will average 3.4-3.5 miles/kWh. The S+ does 4.1-4.2 . I have replaced the factory rims with EV01s, and now regularly see 4.3-4.4. The difference is enough that we generally only take the S+ for long trips. The efficiency differences are due to 1. Smaller/lighter rims, 2. lower ride height, 3. narrower tires, 4. fewer electronic systems, 5. lighter over mass of vehicle.

https://youtu.be/V3Ylj_Z7CFY

I believe height difference (and ground clearance difference) is due to the tires (maybe a smidge on the suspension as well).

We like our SV+ plenty, and pro pilot is nice for highway driving. It is a bit more erratic on the throttle than stupid cruise control (which you activate by holding down the blue button for 4 seconds). We do many round trips between Chicago and Milwaukee in both cars.

That is incredible miles per kWh on the guage cluster

Do you get out and push from a red light? JK

My fully loaded but stock (it's a lease) SV non-plus is also typically in the high 3s if highway driving and 4.3 or so is the best I get gping 40mph or less. Running AC most of the time it's in the 90s here in Philadelphia area.

The S+ has a funny AC. The thermostat doesn't really work, and even when you set it to 88F (assuming it's warmer than that outside) it's freezing cold. When running AC , you should drive faster to reduce the per mile overhead. :)

The heavy 17" alloy wheels on the SV/SL do impact range, efficiency, and battery temp.

gillmj24 said:
That is incredible miles per kWh on the guage cluster

Do you get out and push from a red light? JK

My fully loaded but stock (it's a lease) SV non-plus is also typically in the high 3s if highway driving and 4.3 or so is the best I get gping 40mph or less. Running AC most of the time it's in the 90s here in Philadelphia area.
Then this should make you jealous: I am getting ~4.5 m/kWh on my 2011 (AC may knock of a couple tenths)...with the 40 kWhr battery pack (I did an upgrade). Caveat: I think Dala's CAN bridge (different programming) has helped improve my efficiency as well.

Back