Clueless and just put a deposit on a Nissan Leaf...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenLeaf21

What should I check in the next 3 days before I pick it up/pay for it?

It was a mad rush of blood to the head and now I'm having a mild panic and lost in the alphabet soup of battery life/recharge jargon.. SOH/SOC etc. I can't see anything on the dashboard with 12 bars.

It's a 2018 40kWh N-Connecta, 30-40k milage. £200 deposit so could still walk away. Will finance with deposit and personal loan.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome.

Read the owner's manual - as much as you can. The capacity gauge is on one of the numerous screens on the left side of the dash display - it looks like a cell phone battery icon. Hopefully someone can give you a shortcut to it. Anyway, so far the gen II Leaf battery is holding up well. I'd be surprised if yours has lost a capacity bar, given your likely cool climate. There have been a few with defective battery cells, though. You need to get LeafSpy Pro to check for that issue. It also manifests as a sudden drop in range while driving, or by the car abruptly acting like the battery is empty, and slowing or stopping.

Thank you all. I've just ordered an ODB2 diagnostic tool.... What should I look out for / what would be a red flag??

GreenLeaf21 said:
What should I check in the next 3 days before I pick it up/pay for it?

It was a mad rush of blood to the head and now I'm having a mild panic and lost in the alphabet soup of battery life/recharge jargon.. SOH/SOC etc. I can't see anything on the dashboard with 12 bars.

It's a 2018 40kWh N-Connecta, 30-40k milage. £200 deposit so could still walk away. Will finance with deposit and personal loan.

Thank you in advance.
My own experience living with a 40KWh LEAF has been fine, and would have kept my previous '14 LEAF if it had this battery. However, this 40KWh pack capacity works for my situation, it might be too small for others that make frequent road trips, or venture into areas without charging access, or are dependent on public charging vs. private charging at home.

I would be most concerned about getting the creature comforts that will enhance your ownership experience. Look for options such as heated seats & steering wheel, ProPilot assists, and efficiency upgrades such as the heat pump HVAC. That along with enough pack capacity to handle your driving cycle & charging situation. Enjoy your LEAF.

GreenLeaf21 said:
Thank you all. I've just ordered an ODB2 diagnostic tool.... What should I look out for / what would be a red flag??

A large difference in cell voltages. The biggest difference, which LeafSpy will show, should be no more than 50mv or so. Bad cells will also usually show as much, much lower, red lines on the graph (histogram) that LeafSpy Pro also provides. (Not all red lines are bad - usually they are just cells that were charging at the time.) Also check for error codes ("DTCs") that the car has stored, again via LeafSpy Pro.

Back