Common electrical/mechanical faults - aftermarket parts supplier here!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel270766

Good morning all,

Just as an introduction, I work for a company that currently manufacture aftermarket automotive parts (currently we make but are not limited to EGR valves, MAP sensors, DPF sensors, Air mass flow sensors, crank and cam sensors, coolant sensors, distributor caps, EGR coolers). We have full in house electrical manufacturing capability.

We are looking to branch out into the EV market and looking to supply hard to get hold of parts so that users of vehicles aren't strictly limited to going to dealers and paying dealership prices/waiting dealership lead times.

I am currently carrying out some research into common faults on Nissan Leaf and I understand that the best source of information is directly from the users of them!

Aim
My goal is to gain an understanding of what parts are commonly failing on Leafs with the intention of creating aftermarket, therefore cheaper, solutions for customers. As Leaf's are naturally coming out of their warranty periods the benefit is there for you to go directly online for parts rather than the dealer.

Benefits
There are loads of benefits to this such as cheaper parts, owners will end up with cheaper labour costs as they won't be going directly to dealers and paying dealer prices and standard garages will gain more of an understanding of EV's and repairs reducing the current fear of working on the "unknown". I see the last point being incredibly important as customers won't have to wait for weeks on end waiting for the vehicle to be looked at by the dealer.

Area of work
The parts in question where we would be able to help would be mainly electrical / mechanical-electrical aimed specifically at EV's (PTC, heat pumps, coolant pumps, sensors) or anything specific that an EV would use. As you can imagine we want to be prepared for when parts inevitably begin failing across the EV industry.

Research
I would really appreciate it if people could post what common electrical /mechanical parts seem to fail on the Nissan Leaf's. I've had a good look in the faults area of the forum but as you can imagine there are loads of threads people have made but nothing directly that states how common certain failures are, having that information is key to push forward and start supplying parts.

If you could let me know what parts people really wish they could get hold of cheaper online without having to go directly to Nissan that would be great. (the things that we don't do are bushes, tyres, suspension components etc)

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you very much!
Daniel

The occupant sensor in the front seats has a tendency to fail in older Leafs. As it stands now, the options are to either replace the whole seat, or defeat the sensor with a bypass. A replacement sensor would save a lot of money. Also, we had a member who made heater On/Off switches with wiring pigtails for the 2011/2012 Leaf, which lacks them. If I remember correctly they are no longer being made. Hopefully someone will post a link to that.

LeftieBiker said:
The occupant sensor in the front seats has a tendency to fail in older Leafs. As it stands now, the options are to either replace the whole seat, or defeat the sensor with a bypass. A replacement sensor would save a lot of money. Also, we had a member who made heater On/Off switches with wiring pigtails for the 2011/2012 Leaf, which lacks them. If I remember correctly they are no longer being made. Hopefully someone will post a link to that.

Hi Leftiebiker,

Perfect, thank you for the information i'll do some digging on this today.

Thanks

We have 2018 Leaf

It’s been fine other than an intermittent issue with then back up camera display not working. Just shows a black screen. Took it in once and it was working so nothing done.

We just bought out the lease and they tried to sell an extended warranty for 3,069 and that included a 1,300 discount! No thanks

Back