50,000 work to be done at Stealers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWO4Mann

Leaf Supporting Member
My 2012 Leaf just went over 50,000 miles. Aside from new tires and a new 12v battery, all is good -- except that the brakes "grab" even with the ABS turned off. Anyway, I really need your advice on what I should tell the Stealers to do when I take it in for the 50K service. If it need brakes, I can do those myself, but everything else I'll leave it up to them. I have copies of all the tech bulletins and recalls (or what ever they call them). No work done on the car since I bought it except for one new coolant pump a few years ago.

Thanks in advance for the advice and guidance.

Happy New Year too!

Dave

It might be with searching this forum for an old factory service bulletin about grabby brakes. I recall the dealers updating software on my '14 relatively early in it's life that involved smoothing out brake grabbiness.

I think that the brake grabbing issue may be for the 2013+ Leafs, but I'm not sure.Anyway, one temp fix is to press the brake pedal HARD to the floor for 30 seconds. I think you turn the Traction Control off first, then back on afterward.

LeftieBiker said:
I think that the brake grabbing issue may be for the 2013+ Leafs, but I'm not sure.Anyway, one temp fix is to press the brake pedal HARD to the floor for 30 seconds. I think you turn the Traction Control off first, then back on afterward.

I had to do this "recalibration" routine occasionally with our 2012. It helped quite a bit.

LeftieBiker said:

Thank you for that advice. I've read about that here a couple of years ago and done that brake "reset" action several times. Now I automatically turn off the ABS when starting the car and that solves the problem. I thought about pulling the fuse for the ABS but I might need it in snow or ice, maybe. I go through a standard procedure when I start the car, so switching off the ABS is now automatic for me like shifting always to the ECO mode, etc...

Thanks again,
Dave

Back