mweston
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2154

Re: EV Reserved Parking Spots violators

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:02 am

mweston wrote:
Lanzer wrote:I experienced the same thing at the EV charging stations in the San Jose convention center.

Problem with what I saw was that there were no signs saying that the spots were reserved for EV's only. (Even though it's pretty obvious to us all)

I doubt that the city will move quick enough to have a law similar to the $240 violation on handicapped parking violation. Probably the most practical approach would be to have private towing companies to act as the penalty for violation. If only Column can add a "violator will be towed" message with each installation...

As long as we can't guarantee ourselves a charging spot we can never drive more than 50 miles to anywhere.
I went to the San Jose Convention Center lot for the first time yesterday, intending to try out the charging station. Both spots were occupied by ICEs. I did call a number for the parking company to complain, but the best they would promise was to put out warnings on the cars. But thinking back on it, it's really the garage that is at fault since as you say, the spots are not signed to preclude non-EVs.

So I wrote a negative review of the garage on Yelp. Since then a friend gave me the name and number of someone to call, and I'll update back here if that is productive.
I talked to someone in the transportation department of San Jose yesterday. She was nice, and said that lots more charging options are coming to downtown San Jose later this year. She wasn't really the best person there to talk to, though, so hopefully I'll get a call from that person soon.
Reserved 4/20/2010
Ordered silver SL+QC 9/28/2010
EVSE installed 1/6/2011 (AV cash & carry)
Pending>April (2/8)>Pending (4/4)>May 2 (4/8)>May 6 (4/12)>May 12 (4/27)>May 10 (5/1)>May 6 (5/3)>Delivered May 6
Solar 36x170W

ElectricVehicle
Delivery Date: 18 Jul 2011

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 am

charlie1300 wrote:I would encourage you to copy that post to Tripadvisor.com
Many hotels monitor the site, you might even get a response. We had a problem with a lodging vendor, got no response to multiple direct e-mails to the vendor. Posted a negative review on Trip Advisor, and got an immediate response from Vendor.
Ooooh, excellent tip! Yelp carries a little weight, but putting the review on sites that the hotel cares about and impacts it's business - positively or negatively - like Tripadvisor.com brings the issue home to something this greedy manager is going to care about! You can also look in the reviews and see if the hotel responds to the reviews as some indication that the site carries more weight with the hotel. I'm not sure about hotels.com, Yahoo travel, Captain Kirk's Priceline, or other sites. If you see that hotel has deals with a certain site, also the site you booked the hotel with if you used one, any high visibility site the hotel cares about epecially if people will see the review during their selection / purchase process. I know if I saw such a review, I would book another hotel!

Who knows, maybe somebody just needs to offer this guy an EV test drive, and let him experience the "EV Grin", he'll mend his ways, and we'll have to post positive reviews!
Blue Nissan Leaf SL+QC rsrvd 4/21/10 order 11/24/10 delivered 5/29/11 (Apr May Jun Jul Jun May Jun) Polar Bear Hug 12/11/2010
1999 Green GM EV1, 7.2kW Solar Electric (PV); 2002 RAV4 EV; Carbon Neutral since 2010
It's time to LEAF! LEAF Oil behind!

ElectricVehicle
Delivery Date: 18 Jul 2011

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:20 am

mweston wrote:
mweston wrote:
Lanzer wrote:I experienced the same thing at the EV charging stations in the San Jose convention center.

Problem with what I saw was that there were no signs saying that the spots were reserved for EV's only. (Even though it's pretty obvious to us all)

I doubt that the city will move quick enough to have a law similar to the $240 violation on handicapped parking violation. Probably the most practical approach would be to have private towing companies to act as the penalty for violation. If only Column can add a "violator will be towed" message with each installation...

As long as we can't guarantee ourselves a charging spot we can never drive more than 50 miles to anywhere.
I went to the San Jose Convention Center lot for the first time yesterday, intending to try out the charging station. Both spots were occupied by ICEs. I did call a number for the parking company to complain, but the best they would promise was to put out warnings on the cars. But thinking back on it, it's really the garage that is at fault since as you say, the spots are not signed to preclude non-EVs.

So I wrote a negative review of the garage on Yelp. Since then a friend gave me the name and number of someone to call, and I'll update back here if that is productive.
I talked to someone in the transportation department of San Jose yesterday. She was nice, and said that lots more charging options are coming to downtown San Jose later this year. She wasn't really the best person there to talk to, though, so hopefully I'll get a call from that person soon.
You can bet they do more to a car illegally parked in an ADA space! They have wide latitude in how they set their policies and they can put up enforceable signage with towing provisions to enforce that policy, it's not that they can't enforce, it is that they WILLINGLY have a POLICY TO NOT ENFORCE IT! Or haven't bothered to add a policy enforcing it, but as a garage operator, they know everyday that if they don't enforce and tow cars parked in no park zones, like yellow striped areas, a few people will always be parked there. They know form experience that they have to enforce parking restrictions or they are relatively meaningless. Guaranteed a car parked blocking the main aisle or one of the ticket entrances will get towed within the hour!! I'm sure they wouldn't leave it there and just put a Warning on it!!! :o :shock:
Blue Nissan Leaf SL+QC rsrvd 4/21/10 order 11/24/10 delivered 5/29/11 (Apr May Jun Jul Jun May Jun) Polar Bear Hug 12/11/2010
1999 Green GM EV1, 7.2kW Solar Electric (PV); 2002 RAV4 EV; Carbon Neutral since 2010
It's time to LEAF! LEAF Oil behind!

Adrian
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Done. Thanks for the tip.
I would encourage you to copy that post to Tripadvisor.com
Many hotels monitor the site, you might even get a response. We had a problem with a lodging vendor, got no response to multiple direct e-mails to the vendor. Posted a negative review on Trip Advisor, and got an immediate response from Vendor.
2013 grey Chevy Volt
2011 Red Leaf
Lease returned early due to battery capacity loss

TonyWilliams

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Ok, here's my edits of the previous posted "ticket":

Courtesy Notice - Parking Violation

This vehicle is parked blocking an Electric Vehicle Recharging Station.

This parking space is designated for Electric Vehicles Only.

This is not a regular parking space for the convenience of all vehicle drivers -- it is an Electric Vehicle Recharging Station. Parking in a way that prevents use of the Recharging Station is not only illegal, it can leave an Electric Vehicle driver stranded. I'm sure you enjoy not finding gasoline refueling stations blocked with non-gasoline powered cars, either !!!

Under California Vehicle Code section 22511, vehicles parked in spaces reserved for electric vehicles are subject to fines up to $100 (I couldn't find this in the code) and may be towed away at the owner's expense. We prefer to avoid taking such action unless absolutely necessary.

Notifying the police or sheriff's department may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated for electric vehicles to the nearest impound garage if a valid Electric Vehicle "Zero Emission Vehicle" decal identification issued pursuant to DMV rules is not displayed on the vehicle.

Per DMV rules, "zero-emission vehicle" means any car, truck, or any other vehicle that produces no tailpipe or evaporative emissions.

EricH
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0664

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 pm

GaslessInSeattle wrote: I wish I had a business card size notice or something like what you guys can use for CA to let folks know they did inconvenience someone and that they can be towed.
How about:

"You are parked in a refueling space for Electric Vehicles. In the interest of fairness, please let me know where you gas up your car, so that I may park my auto in front of your gas pump and leave it there the next time you need gas."
Blue SL with QC
A/V Charger
Delivery: 3/26/11

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Just call the tow truck already. I just call it the city valet service ;)
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Call a tow truck and support an American worker. These guys will thank you for the heads up.
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

JPWhite
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:17 am

SteveInSeattle wrote:It needs to be reported-- the parkign areas that have installed the expensive infrastructure for charging need to take action to see that the investmetn isn't wasted.
I say pee in their fuel tank, and stick a potato up their exhaust :-)

Seriously though, enforcement should be the same as with disabled parking spots.
--
JP White
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com
2011 Blue SL-e, 132,400 Miles.
Lost 5 Capacity bars
7/18/13 (29,206), 8/25/14 (51,728), 7/12/15 (71.108), 5/12/16 (88,362), 10/17/16 (96,532)
New Battery 12/3/16 (98,956)
2018 Model 3 20,000 Miles.

Packet
Delivery Date: 02 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5017

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:53 am

JPWhite wrote:Seriously though, enforcement should be the same as with disabled parking spots.
Then arguably we need a specific parking pass, like with disabled/handicapped parking permits. It's not really fair to require those who manage parking lots to be familiar with what every single EV out there is.

If there's a Mini Cooper parked in an EV space, is that really a car ICE'ing it, or is that an electric conversion of a Cooper? Do you rely on the car saying 'Electric' somewhere on it? (Then LEAF owners have to be sure to buy and add 'Electric' to their car!) Do you just rely on 'does the car have a tailpipe' as your determining factor? Then does a Volt qualify? They /can/ charge, after all. And what about PHEVs, like the Prius plug-in hybrid? And in any of those cases, if you guess wrong someone is going to complain! Either you wrongly towed their car, or you didn't enforce the parking, and either way they're all angry now.

With handicapped parking, requiring the individual to go through the process of getting a handicapped license plate or placard makes life easier for enforcement. They don't have to go look for hints that a given car is a handicapped one, just look at the license plate or look for the placard hanging off the rear view mirror. If we want EV parking to be enforced the same way, we'll need to have a similar process for people to go through in order to get an EV plate or whatever.

(Mind you, I'm in favor of EV plates ANYWAY. People complain that we're not paying towards road upkeep through gas taxes even though we drive on the road, and they have something of a valid point. Having an EV-specific plate would allow states to draw money from us in one big 'chunk' to help pay for road upkeep whenever we renew the tabs for that plate, AND would provide an easy way to enforce EV-only parking spots just like handicapped parking.)
Reserved: 05/06/2011
RAQ: 05/06/2011
Ordered: 05/06/2011 (Black SL with Quick Charge)
Delivery: 07/02/2011 (took delivery of identical orphaned order!)
Ecotality: 06/09/2011 acceptance, 08/22/2011 install

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”