Page 4 of 5

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/ pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:13 pm
by rickbecker
Thank you for sharing the ride in video format!

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/ pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:38 pm
by kieodadie
Nader you're featured in allcarselectric.com check it out. Great job!!!!

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/106 ... seca-video

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/ pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:13 pm
by ht2
mwalsh wrote:
tps wrote:This backs up what I've thought and what Nissan has been saying all along. The lack of an active thermal management system in the LEAF's traction pack does not make it an infereor vehicle. Instead, this shows that the LEAF is traction pack is superior because it does not need active thermal management.
+1! :)
+2. :roll:

http://gigaom.com/cleantech/tesla-ceo-n ... primitive/
Musk commented that the LEAF battery pack uses a “much more primitive level of technology” compared with the sophistication of even Tesla’s first prototype.
This comes down mainly to the thermal management system, or the technology used to keep the battery within a healthy temperature range. Tesla uses what Musk described as active liquid thermal control, while the LEAF pack uses an air cooling system. As a result, the LEAF pack will have temperatures “all over the place,” causing it to suffer “huge degradation” in cold environments and basically “shut off” in hot environments, claimed Musk.

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/ pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:51 pm
by mwalsh
ht2 wrote:Musk commented that the LEAF battery pack uses a “much more primitive level of technology” compared with the sophistication of even Tesla’s first prototype.
Humph, that guy. :? But then, you know how I feel about that guy.

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/ pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:12 pm
by nader
EricH wrote:PS: Do you know when the next Refuel is scheduled?
One year from now I believe.

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/ pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:16 pm
by nader
kieodadie wrote:Nader you're featured in allcarselectric.com check it out. Great job!!!!

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/106 ... seca-video
Someone just emailed me this coverage:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1062 ... seca-video

Hopefully this type of coverage will draw some attention from parts manufacturers.

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/pics & video)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm
by nader
Added links to in-car footage during the warm up session to the first post. The forum won't let me embed Vimeo files unfortunately so you'll have to click the link.

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/ pics)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:52 pm
by evnow
tps wrote:This backs up what I've thought and what Nissan has been saying all along. The lack of an active thermal management system in the LEAF's traction pack does not make it an infereor vehicle. Instead, this shows that the LEAF is traction pack is superior because it does not need active thermal management.
This is something I've always said. Ford & GM have inferior batteries that need cooling.

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/pics & video)

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:54 pm
by KeiJidosha
nader wrote:Added links to in-car footage during the warm up session to the first post. The forum won't let me embed Vimeo files unfortunately so you'll have to click the link.
What’s not on the video is during nader’s time trial run, all the course workers flaging drivers onto the track at turn 10, turned to watch him come down from the corkscrew through turn 9, 10, then onto the front stretch, tires at full howl. When he disappeared behind the pit row garages, they were all looking at each other in disbelief. And a group of spectators argued that “It can’t be an electric car”.

An impressive bit of driving!

Re: ReFuel 2011 at Laguna Seca in the Leaf (w/ pics)

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:23 pm
by LEAFguy
nader wrote:
gasmiser1 wrote:Nice :-) Looks like you guys had fun 8-)

Did the Leaf beat the Volt's time on the track?
Nope. Whoever was driving was pretty good behind the wheel. The Volt is a much sportier ride too.
Nader - thanks ever so much for posting the write-up and the video. It looks like you had a blast too! (From the looks of things, you've been around the track a time or two yourself. I was watching your hands - I'd say that you're "pretty good behind the wheel" yourself. ;) )