Yodrak
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402954

Re: Stoaty's Guide to Energy Efficient Driving of the Leaf

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:22 am

+1 Correct usage - what a pleasure!
PaulScott wrote:If we can affect a tiny % of these drivers, we can save lots of energy.

We hope to make them funny so they'll have better effect, but we'll see.
Khun Yodrak
2013 SL

GreenFoot

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:24 am

Is there any value in shifting between D and Eco. Certainly, in D you can coast much further than when in Eco mode. I haven't done a real test yet, but I think this way of driving may work.

shay
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3285

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:36 am

GreenFoot wrote:Is there any value in shifting between D and Eco. Certainly, in D you can coast much further than when in Eco mode. I haven't done a real test yet, but I think this way of driving may work.
The regen increases in eco and the climate control gets dialed down some are the big changes in efficiency. Of course the throttle travel changes as well.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:32 am

GreenFoot wrote:Is there any value in shifting between D and Eco. Certainly, in D you can coast much further than when in Eco mode. I haven't done a real test yet, but I think this way of driving may work.

no. shift to eco and stay that way. reasons why i do it

D: can coast farther, but around here, traffic means i usually have no room to coast even a little. besides, in eco, a light pressure on the pedal applying no power does the same thing.

also, with traffic frequent braking is needed but at different rates. many times, coasting in eco provides me enough to slow down to compensate for traffic with ZERO RISK OF ENGAGING FRICTION BRAKES. i can coast from 40 mph to 10 mph in a few blocks. drive mode means moving my foot to the brake. ok, ya so i am lazy but i have actually driven all the way to work without touching the brake one single time except to park. try that in drive.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:27 am

Yodrak wrote:+1 Correct usage - what a pleasure!
PaulScott wrote:If we can affect a tiny % of these drivers, we can save lots of energy.
Be careful Yodrak, some people don't like to know (want to remain usage illiterate) that they have used incorrect usage and they will flame you with their impolite rhetoric. One such impolite poster (won't mention his name) even told me to leave the forum and he wasn't even the one I was trying to help! Unbelievable! I really appreciated when a poster corrected my 'kW h' because electrical jargon isn't my forte. I was writing Kwh. They gave me a Wiki and now I use the correct or preferred abbrev.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:33 am

Absolutely stay in ECO if you want the most efficient m/kW h. If you want to coast a long distance, just put it in 'N' with a quick flick to 'R'. I really appreciate the poster that told me this shortcut to 'N'. If you hold it to the left for maybe 3 secs, it will shift to 'N'. :mrgreen:
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

Essiemme
Delivery Date: 29 Sep 2011

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:43 am

Stoaty wrote:...

Any other eco-obsessive drivers out there? 8-)
YES! Indeed!

I even brake my CI vehicle using the AC... :shock:

Is this some kind of "paranoia" ???

:lol:

(...for the record, I don't have my Leaf yet...)
Essiemme
Portugal /Europe

Yodrak
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402954

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:58 am

I'm not sure I understand - I was praising correct usage, not correcting incorrect usage. (Although I have been known to do the latter from time to time. :D )

Anyway, IEEE/ASTM recommended standard abbreviation for kilowatthour is kWh.
http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/ias/pub-dep ... iation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe the SI standard accepts either kW h or kW.h (the dot should be mid height, but I don't know how to raise it off the floor).

Carry on.
LEAFfan wrote:Be careful Yodrak, some people don't like to know (want to remain usage illiterate) that they have used incorrect usage and they will flame you with their impolite rhetoric. One such impolite poster (won't mention his name) even told me to leave the forum and he wasn't even the one I was trying to help! Unbelievable! I really appreciated when a poster corrected my 'kW h' because electrical jargon isn't my forte. I was writing Kwh. They gave me a Wiki and now I use the correct or preferred abbrev.
Yodrak wrote:+1 Correct usage - what a pleasure!
Be careful Yodrak, some people don't like to know (want to remain usage illiterate) that they have used incorrect usage and they will flame you with their impolite rhetoric. One such impolite poster (won't mention his name) even told me to leave the forum and he wasn't even the one I was trying to help! Unbelievable! I really appreciated when a poster corrected my 'kW h' because electrical jargon isn't my forte. I was writing Kwh. They gave me a Wiki and now I use the correct or preferred abbrev.
Khun Yodrak
2013 SL

CWO4Mann
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 1567

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:33 am

Herm wrote:
abasile wrote: But I'm not convinced that impeding the flow of traffic is worthwhile just for the sake of saving some kWh. I'm not just saying this because of "haters" out there. At this point, we are the ambassadors for a new way of driving, using electricity. Some of us, like my family with our Christian-themed license plate frames, use our cars to promote other causes as well.
You could impede traffic and use reverse psychology, put on some atheist bumper stickers or perhaps pro Obama propaganda.. save the Planet and America at the same time!

If you go to any large truck stop on the interstate, you will find all kinds, I say again, ALL kinds of bumper stickers. Some of which would get you charged with a hate crime out in the West Coast area. My opinion about bumper stickers is that I don't do them. At all. No matter WHAT you put on your vehicle, there will be someone who will be offended, angry, crazed, etc., by your sticker. For instance, I used to get really torqued by those Christian Fish symbol magnets that had been modified with little feet. Took me asking a guy in a parking lot one time what they meant (a pean to Darwin and/or evolution). I think it is a good idea to not give any wackos out there any possible excuse to do what ever their fevered minds are concocting.

As far as hypermiling, I am like that other OP and just drive the Leaf as I would any other car and in my style of driving that is pedal to the metal most of the time. I bet I am one of the few Leafs with a Valentine Radar detector.

Anyway, happy trails to you -- I haven't bought any gasoline since December 5th of last year and that's good enuff for me.

Dave
Ira est potens et pertinax.
Study History - Know the Future
CWO4 US Army (Ret.)
N4CVX; ex-VP2EHF; ex-DA1BB; ex-KR6DEM
2012 SL Glacier Pearl VIN: 1567 Delivered 12-11-2011
Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:37 am

i folo the stoaty rules, especially not exceeding 60-65 on freeways except for safety/passing situations. I do not cruise ever above 65, regardless of the speed of traffic.
I use eco mostly, but do coast in Neutral and D.
I am in platinum all 10 months but one in gold.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”