EVDrive
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 776

Re: larger solar panel/solar roof on Leaf thread

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Must people degrade this thread into a ra ra sesion for more nukes. My friends and family suffering in Japan will slap you silly for pretending nuclear power is clean and safe. Go visit the meltdown in Japan if you are still confused and or ignorant. Maybe someday nuclear power will be truly safe and waste free but we are not there yet.

JRP3 wrote:
abasile wrote:
GaslessInSeattle wrote:Without careful thought, electric cars may very well spur the next nuclear energy revolution if they become widely adopted, at least some will argue that, even though EV's stand to reduce baseload waste.
I would like to see another nuclear energy revolution, using the latest, safest, most efficient technology, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_flu ... um_reactor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. While I am also in favor of renewables, I feel that we need to keep nuclear on the table if we are to rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve our long-term energy security.
I agree fully on LFTR's. I'm not sure how we can increase clean, reliable baseload without them.
- SF Bay Area
- 2011 Leaf traded in at 46,000 miles, 3 years, lost 1 bar
- Upgraded to 2014 Rav4EV with Quickchargepower.com CHAdeMO port, 53,000 miles
- Tesla Model 3 reserved

EVDrive
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 776

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:14 pm

I like the idea of Nissan partnering with sun power to sell solar carports like Ford has planned for focus EV buyers.

I do however like the idea of a big solar array on the car but I'm not sure I would buy that option to run the fan. I would rather put the money into a solar carport, a bigger battery or a bigger on board charger (6.6 or 10 kwh). These additions would improve my experience with the Leaf.

A big panel on top would up the Leafs cool factor/trendy appeal. This is low on my list of adds for the Leaf but still on the list and worth consideration.
- SF Bay Area
- 2011 Leaf traded in at 46,000 miles, 3 years, lost 1 bar
- Upgraded to 2014 Rav4EV with Quickchargepower.com CHAdeMO port, 53,000 miles
- Tesla Model 3 reserved

GaslessInSeattle
Delivery Date: 29 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 850

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:40 pm

davewill wrote:
GaslessInSeattle wrote:...
Um, the Leaf actually works as a usable car, adding solar panels wouldn't change that. ...
But it doesn't work as a solar panel powered car, which it's purporting to be.[/quote]

That's news to me, who is purporting it to be a solar panel powered car?

At the auto show today I saw a nice example of a sexy full roof solar panel on the Fisker Karma, large enough to supplement CC and add a little, probably tiny, bit of range:
http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtests/ ... rma_video/
Gasless: Silver 2012 SL, traded in for Lease on 1/13
Tesla S P85, Gray, pano, carbon fiber, took delivery: 2-9-13... LOVE this car!
9.8 kW PV Solar installed 9/12, http://www.westseattlenaturalenergy.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:18 am

EVDrive wrote:Must people degrade this thread into a ra ra sesion for more nukes. My friends and family suffering in Japan will slap you silly for pretending nuclear power is clean and safe. Go visit the meltdown in Japan if you are still confused and or ignorant. Maybe someday nuclear power will be truly safe and waste free but we are not there yet.
Did the nuke incident kill anyone?..nope. And it was as bad as it could get, a core meltdown!. Meanwhile Japan is buying lots and lots of NG to power their industry. How long can we keep that up?

The Fukijama plant was poorly planned, but you can be sure every other nuke in the world is carefully being looked over.. and many will be shut down as a result.

Look at the latest energy supply worries:

http://t.co/l4Ev96dS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The world’s vast undersea energy infrastructure—oil and gas platforms, wellheads, pipelines and pumps—is now vulnerable to attack by cheap submarines and unmanned vehicles."

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:54 am

Herm wrote:
EVDrive wrote:Must people degrade this thread into a ra ra sesion for more nukes. My friends and family suffering in Japan will slap you silly for pretending nuclear power is clean and safe. Go visit the meltdown in Japan if you are still confused and or ignorant. Maybe someday nuclear power will be truly safe and waste free but we are not there yet.
Did the nuke incident kill anyone?..nope. And it was as bad as it could get, a core meltdown!.
At least three Fukushima workers died after the incident. Many areas are now uninhabitable and for awhile, some rice from that prefecture tested high for radiation. I'm sure there are far more other consequences than I've listed.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:26 am

cwerdna wrote: I'm sure there are far more other consequences than I've listed.
Probably not, or the media would be all over it, they exaggerate enough as it is.. did those 3 workers die of radiation exposure?

JRP3
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:44 am

davewill wrote:
JRP3 wrote:Care to debate that with facts? ...
No, because your statement wasn't a factual statement. The idea that the most cost effective form of home solar somehow isn't solar is just dumb.
I'm not sure what that sentence was supposed to mean, but I never said home solar wasn't the most cost effective use of solar. I'm merely pointing out the fact that adding some solar capacity to the grid is not the same thing as running an EV on solar. If you had a battery bank to store your solar instead of grid tie then it would be running on solar, though not as cost effective, or as efficient.

JRP3

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:47 am

If you are going to talk about ignorance you should first educate yourself on the topic at hand. LFTR's are a completely different type of nuclear power that cannot melt down and do not produce large volumes of radioactive by products.
If you wish to learn instead of just react you can start here: http://ephase.blogspot.com/2011/03/plug ... orium.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JRP3 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JRP3

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:51 am

Quite correct, and I never said an EV was stressing the grid capacity. Just pointing out that grid tied solar is really not the same thing as solar directly charging a car, either if car mounted or off grid with battery bank. I'm not trying to discourage grid tie solar at all, just pointing out the realities.
planet4ever wrote:

However, I don't claim that my car is solar powered, because overall I pull more power out of the grid than I put in. Perhaps that's what you meant to say, that if I didn't have the LEAF I would be buying less power from the utility. That is true, but my LEAF is not stressing the grid's capacity.

Ray

JRP3

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:57 am

Ingineer wrote: Actually, if you AREN'T using gas in your car, the Electricity saved from just Petroleum Refining and Distribution operations will power your EV and then some. The Largest single consumer of electricity California are Petroleum operations. Assuming you replace a gas car with an EV, and charge off-peak, we end up with a more stable grid, and a little less electricity use.

-Phil
Somewhat true. Much refinery electricity is generated on site from petroleum and petroleum by products, a smaller percentage comes from the grid. From what I've researched by not refining oil we make up for some of the power drawn from the grid by an EV but not all. Also oil is refined into other products besides transportation fuels so not all refinery electricity goes into gasoline production. Because of that my statements remain accurate regarding grid tie solar.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”