Fog Lights without Headlights??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryleaf

Does anyone know how to turn on the fog lights without having the headlights on? I would like to be able to run with the fog lights on alone during the day.

Thanks.

David

Just tell them they are DRLs. That IS legal.

planet4ever said:
countryleaf said:
I would like to be able to run with the fog lights on alone during the day.
I don't know about Washington State, but that's illegal in California:
24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.
Ray

I read the linked thread above. Wow, some of you are making significant mods to these cars. I kind of like the idea of adding the LED DRL's in the grill, but still think that just using the fog lights (that really aren't fog lights anyway) as DRL's. Has anyone done a mod to turn them on by themselves?

Thanks for the comments.

My father had a classic (1950's) British car where the fog lamps acted independently from the headlights. As anybody who drives often in the fog knows, headlights make visibility worse, good amber fog lamps low to the ground with no headlights provides the best forward visibility. Unfortunately just about every state in the US requires that the fog lamps only function when the headlights are active (stupid).

My Dad's Jag had no defroster and crappy windshield wipers, but with a rag for the windshield you could see the road a whole lot better than any of our modern cars. Double clutching with a pedal that had about 100lbs of resistance was a different story...

padamson1 said:
... As anybody who drives often in the fog knows, headlights make visibility worse, good amber fog lamps low to the ground with no headlights provides the best forward visibility. Unfortunately just about every state in the US requires that the fog lamps only function when the headlights are active (stupid). ...
That's because the headlamps provide the best way for others to see YOU, and that's their primary function.

Polarized light amber sunglasses and amber fog lights is a great combination.. usually found as shooter glasses since the tinting is very light. The polarized lens just makes your windshield disappear.

davewill said:
padamson1 said:
... As anybody who drives often in the fog knows, headlights make visibility worse, good amber fog lamps low to the ground with no headlights provides the best forward visibility. Unfortunately just about every state in the US requires that the fog lamps only function when the headlights are active (stupid). ...
That's because the headlamps provide the best way for others to see YOU, and that's their primary function.
Good Point. Although I personally don't think the the primary function of headlights is for others to see me :D Maybe when it is foggy, headlights end up serving that purpose as it is more difficult to pick up other vehicles approaching with the reduced visibility. However amber fog lamps doesn't exactly make a vehicle invisible, the question is do they make it too hard to see oncoming vehicles in the fog?

Obviously the DOT in most states believe that it does, especially when they have to take into consideration many people have the bad habit of driving with their windows fogged up when its foggy outside and fail to slow down even when they can't see clearly. I have observed that headlights are a hindrence for navigation from the driver's perspective, so I continue to believe that when driving in the fog, it's better to use fog lights with no headlights. Unfortunately that's illegal, so I have to be nearly blind when driving in serious fog in order to drive legally.

padamson1 said:
davewill said:
padamson1 said:
Good Point. Although I personally don't think the the primary function of headlights is for others to see me :D Maybe when it is foggy, headlights end up serving that purpose as it is more difficult to pick up other vehicles approaching with the reduced visibility. However amber fog lamps doesn't exactly make a vehicle invisible, the question is do they make it too hard to see oncoming vehicles in the fog?

Obviously the DOT in most states believe that it does, especially when they have to take into consideration many people have the bad habit of driving with their windows fogged up when its foggy outside and fail to slow down even when they can't see clearly. I have observed that headlights are a hindrence for navigation from the driver's perspective, so I continue to believe that when driving in the fog, it's better to use fog lights with no headlights. Unfortunately that's illegal, so I have to be nearly blind when driving in serious fog in order to drive legally.

I've done that in blinding snowstorms as well. As long as you leave the parking lights on, and especially on divided lane highways, it's better to see than just to be seen more easily... Anyway, has anyone found a decent, inexpensive set of aftermarket amber fog lights that can be mounted on the 2013 SV without damaging the (leased) bumper? Extra points if they are LEDS.

planet4ever said:
countryleaf said:
24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.
Ray

I don't know that this is a correct interpretation of the California law. The statute that is quoted regarding fog lamps uses the words, "substitution of headlamps."

There is no law requiring the use of headlamps in the day, therefor, the use of fog lamps during the day would not be considered substituting headlamps. My interpretation is that the use of fog lamps only are not prohibited during daytime use in California.

I too would like to be able to turn just the fog lamps on for day use.

KellyROlsen said:
planet4ever said:
countryleaf said:
Ray

I don't know that this is a correct interpretation of the California law. The statute that is quoted regarding fog lamps uses the words, "substitution of headlamps."

There is no law requiring the use of headlamps in the day, therefor, the use of fog lamps during the day would not be considered substituting headlamps. My interpretation is that the use of fog lamps only are not prohibited during daytime use in California.

I too would like to be able to turn just the fog lamps on for day use.

Are you doing this for looks, or because it's actually foggy? If it's the latter, and visibility is less than 1,000 feet, and/or it's so misty or rainy or snowy that you need to have your windshield wipers in "continuous" use, you are required to have your headlights on even during the daytime. California Vehicle Code sections 24400 (c) (1) and (c) (2).

Depending on the search for your query i found somewhere in the forum that on wiring your fogs "power" input to your "status" lights and turning them on, they will feed power to the fog switch which will allow the fogs to turn on once u hit the switch. Hope it will work.

How to convert 2011/12 fog lights to DRLs.
Remove the Power Distribution Module, move F10 to F20 position.
Solder a wire from F10 to F20 as in picture below.
10517499_10152531418783704_6116780679353830470_n.jpg

Now the fog lights are on anytime the car is on.

rawhog said:
Soldering a wire between these two points is easy enough. But what do you mean by "move F10 to F20"?
The fuse in position F10 on the Power Distribution Module, is moved to the unused position F20.

pchilds said:
rawhog said:
Soldering a wire between these two points is easy enough. But what do you mean by "move F10 to F20"?
The fuse in position F10 on the Power Distribution Module, is moved to the unused position F20.

Nice. What mode would turn them on--accessory, on or ready to drive? Has anyone tried this on a 2013? I've been wanting to make my LED fog lights my DRLs.

pchilds said:
How to convert 2011/12 fog lights to DRLs.
Remove the Power Distribution Module, move F10 to F20 position.
Solder a wire from F10 to F20 as in picture below.
10517499_10152531418783704_6116780679353830470_n.jpg

Now the fog lights are on anytime the car is on.

thanks, that worked for my 2011 too, misunderstood your step about moving the connector from F10 to F20, thought that was the same as the wiring step after

2014-11-19%2010.49.56.jpg

However amber fog lamps doesn't exactly make a vehicle invisible, the question is do they make it too hard to see oncoming vehicles in the fog?

In Europe they allowed (required?) switched red rear fog lights to make cars more visible in fog to those behind them. That was later changed to a single red rear light to avoid confusion with the brake lights, but it's clear enough that they believe that lights of this sort make the car visible to others.

Back