Did Carwings (or Consult III+) "rat out" my Battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Posting for the owner of the LEAF named "StanLeaf Steamer":

This LEAF was in for the 1st-year Battery Pack checkup last week,
and got 5-stars in all 4 categories. No mention of anything unusual.

Today that Dealer calls and says that Nissan has made a request
to examine this LEAF, wanting the LEAF for "some" days.
Apparently, they will provide a (non-LEAF) loaner for the duration.

The Dealer says that Carwings has told somebody (at Nissan?)
that there is a (possible/impending?) problem with the car's battery.

Until now, I had not heard that the LEAF was sending any "pending
problem" type information to Carwings (and Nissan).

The dealer said that a warning light may/might/should come on soon.

Has anybody heard of any diagnostic or car status information
being sent by Carwings to Nissan?

Perhaps it was the annual battery pack checkup that actually "sent"
cell-pair voltage (or other) data to Nissan, perhaps sending it
via Carwings, that triggered this request?

Or, maybe the Consult III+ sent the info, perhaps via the car's Carwings connection?

Anybody else experience anything similar to this?

I doubt it had anything to do with Carwings but rather was something sent in the data from the battery report. We know that Nissan gets much more data from the battery report than we are given and I suspect it was something that they saw in this data that caused them to want to take a closer look...

garygid said:
Posting for the owner of the LEAF named "StanLeaf Steamer"

The Dealer says that Carwings has told somebody (at Nissan?)
that there is a (possible/impending?) problem with the car's battery.

i wish Carwings did do EXACTLY that. i do not want to be in the middle of my commute that normally uses 60% of my current range capacity and find myself DOA on the highway one day.

i have to say, its rather pathetic software Nissan is running that would not have flagged the problem at the dealership, so i vote Carwings

Very interesting. Yeah, I too hope Carwings did/does this. Let us know what they find, you've got my curiosity up now.

I don't think that Nissan uses the Carwings data at all for service related activities. I just got the "You have 15,000 miles on your Leaf, time for your complementary battery check" email, howeve we are only just now turning over 9000 on our Leaf. Carwings clearly shows the mileage data, yet they don't use it for these mailings.

TurboFroggy said:
I don't think that Nissan uses the Carwings data at all for service related activities. I just got the "You have 15,000 miles on your Leaf, time for your complementary battery check" email, howeve we are only just now turning over 9000 on our Leaf. Carwings clearly shows the mileage data, yet they don't use it for these mailings.

i dont think i would equate Nissan's automated service emails with this. Most people were offered $10 coupons for oil changes for their Leafs

TurboFroggy said:

i dont think i would equate Nissan's automated service emails with this. Most people were offered $10 coupons for oil changes for their Leafs

When I went in for my software upgrade two months back, the guy handling my service paperwork mentioned something like this. That some Leaf owner had been asked to bring his car in to get something fixed ( before the car stopped working) based on a report by Carwings - sounded like a nice feature to me!

Well, one way to find out is if we ever find one of the guys who refuses to OK Carwings with a dead car alongside the road... :lol:

lkkms2 said:
When I went in for my software upgrade two months back, the guy handling my service paperwork mentioned something like this. That some Leaf owner had been asked to bring his car in to get something fixed ( before the car stopped working) based on a report by Carwings - sounded like a nice feature to me!

Ever since my battery got checked (2,000 miles ago) - upon start up, Carwings tells me, "there is no such blah blah .... there is no blah blah available ...." can't remember exactly, but something like that ... and the folks at my local shop don't know how to stop it. It used to happen EVERY SINGLE start-up cycle ... now it's only ever 5th or 6th start-up cycle (shaking head). One of these days I'll have to take it in to a shop that knows what the heck is going on. It took a year of whining just to get the on board charger replaced ... and that energy loss drained me ... otherwise I'd have already been more proactive, in stead of tolerating this for about 2 months now.

lkkms2 said:

Glad to see there is a proactive feature in place. However, so much for "five stars"... :?

lkkms2 said:

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that this was just Carwings reading the voluntary service/recall to the owner, not an actual problem. And of course things got lost in translation.

hill said:
Ever since my battery got checked (2,000 miles ago) - upon start up, Carwings tells me, "there is no such blah blah .... there is no blah blah available ...." can't remember exactly, but something like that ... and the folks at my local shop don't know how to stop it. ...
Maybe it's trying to download a non-existent RSS feed?

DaveinOlyWA said:

I still get emails and calls from the local Nissan dealership every 3 months saying I have missed my regular maintenance (oil change).

davewill said:
hill said:
Ever since my battery got checked (2,000 miles ago) - upon start up, Carwings tells me, "there is no such blah blah .... there is no blah blah available ...." can't remember exactly, but something like that ... and the folks at my local shop don't know how to stop it. ...
Maybe it's trying to download a non-existent RSS feed?
That was my 1st guess. I've erased everything. Bizaro But it began right after the battery check. They did the software update (extra door dinging sounds) at the same time they did the battery check, so it's gotta be one or the other.

Gary, the last two times I QCd, when I went to start the car, the 'car with the !' (just to the right of the green car) came on and stayed on. I turned off the car and restarted, and then that icon went out. It sounds just like what Nissan was talking about with his car. My battery pack check is the beginning of June.

Update on the "Rat Out" Battery Pack Situation:

The StanLeafSteamer whent to the dealer yesterday morning
and they found a "defective" cell-pair (number 69 of 96).

Unknown how the "Defective-Cell" is detected, but
presumably the all-cells voltage measurement, and the LEAF's
own cell-pair internal-resistance estimates (made when under
load) are the only "external" diagnostice available.

So, they have ordered a part, presumably a new module
that will replace two cell-pairs. Unknown delivery date.

So, whatever did the "Rat-Out" did a good job.
I suspect a "hidden" diagnostic that is included in
the annual inspection, but ... maybe the LEAF was
smart enough to "Confess"?

Side note: The last several "100% charges" achieved only
99%, 98%, and then 97% (decreasing GIDs) on the SOC-Meter.

Back