cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Purchasing a 12V battery? Advice...

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:45 am
I might need another 12 volt battery... Sigh. The first one that came w/my used 5/2013 built Leaf bit the dust in Oct 2015, IIRC. Dealer replaced it for free under warranty. Replacement is a Nissan "84 month" flooded battery.

I drove my Leaf before I went on vacation, probably on Oct 26. Let's just say, when I returned home I've tried charging it w/my Optimate 4 it for (originally) good measure and stopped before I went to work, surprised that it wasn't finished. I returned home from work and measured the voltage. It was reading about 10.5 volts. Ugh. I checked that it isn't low on water so it's charging once again. I expect it won't finish or won't hold a charge.

When I try searching Pep Boys for a '13 Leaf battery, it only comes up with https://www.pepboys.com/optima-yellowto ... quantity=1 (Part#: YELD51R | SKU: 313430): $238 installed. I tried digging a bit for a Bosch 51R battery on Pep Boy's site to no avail. I tried a few other locations nearby.

(In Dec 2018, from Pep Boys, I did get a Bosch group 51 non-R AGM battery to replace the old Optima Yellow Top in my former 06 Prius...)

Given Nissan's pro-rated replacement 12 volt warranty, I'd have to pay 50% of the battery cost + labor... or get a battery myself and DIY.

I tried Costco's site and it sends me to a special Costco section of Interstate Battery's site. It comes up with a item number 852210 51R for $77 but doesn't tell me if my or any Costco's have it in stock.
Charging the 12 volt over the weekend didn't help. Even after over 24 hours of charging, it would only get up to ~11.5 volts. Within short order (<24 hours, maybe even <12 hours), it'd be back down to about 10.5 volts.

I got a quote from my local dealer (same one that replaced the original 12 volt for free under the 3 year/36K warranty) and they claimed that even with the 50% part coverage, it would be w/labor (which isn't covered) ~$150 (or was it $159?) for them to change the battery. No thanks. If it were not too expensive, I would've had them do that + the bonding plate "service campaign".

I went to Costco to get the Interstate 852210 51R for $77 + $1 CA battery fee. Costco also charges at $15 core fee which they'll refund when you bring back your used 12 volt. I'll be installing it tonight/this weekend. I like how Costco/Interstate puts stickers on top w/the manufacture month. I was easily able to pick out one that was made Oct 2019.

From looking at the shape, shape of the vent lids, shapes around the lids, location of markings, ridges in the casing, it looks like the Nissan "84 month" 51R battery is probably made by the same company as the Costco Interstate 51R battery. Will take some pics of both for my own reference when I finally get around to swapping.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Re: Purchasing a 12V battery? Advice...

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 am

cwerdna wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 pm
From looking at the shape, shape of the vent lids, shapes around the lids, location of markings, ridges in the casing, it looks like the Nissan "84 month" 51R battery is probably made by the same company as the Costco Interstate 51R battery.
Odds are good. I think there are only 2 companies that make nearly all US 12V auto batteries, including AGM. Johnson Controls and Exide.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”