2020 Nissan Leaf, How to enable V2G?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneygumble

This is just a stupid question: I want make sure that my Nissan Leaf has really a working V2G function over the CHAdeMO connector. I studied the CHAdeMO standard and figured out that not the charging station but the car has to decide whether it wants to be charged or discharged. For this reason there should be a menu point. But neither in the cars manual nor in the EV charging settings I found that V2G option. The Nissan Leaf is from 09/2020. Does anybody know how I can enable the V2G function. Or is the V2G option not visible as long I am not really connected to a V2G station?

Any Leaf 2014 or newer supports V2G out of the box. There's no settings in the car. The car allows discharge down to a certain SOC (I believe 20%). There is not a "wants to be charged or discharged" with CHAdeMO V2G, there are limits that the car lets the station know about, and the station can draw as much as it wants within those limits.

Also do keep in mind that V2G is not exactly kosher with the Leaf battery warranty, at least in the US. You're not suppose to be using the car as energy storage, although the car will let you assuming a V2G CHAdeMO station. I am not sure if this discharge is recorded at all by the cars BMS. Try this at your own risk.

Your car supports it. no setting, no option, no upgrade needed.

I can tell you it is supported by warranty in many countries. Around much of Europe for example.

Typically the pull from the battery is on the order of up to 7kw so even though it is using the DC connection you are not heating the battery any more than an AC charge. You are not dumping power at 50kw or 100kw here.

The box you need for your home is quite expensive typically as much as a powerwall or a bit more and it has no storage of its own. You also need electrician installation this is not just plugging into an outlet like your EVSE on AC as it will power your house. Not so different from a powerwall install.

If you are in the UK there is a program where you may be able to get one in your home with cooperation of an organization to help balance the power grid on the cheap. In some parts of Europe there are commercial stations where you plug in and they pull or push power to the car and pay you for the privilege, this does not help your house if you are thinking of V2H it is truly V2G.

If you are in the US there is no box for sale yet. https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar-dc-charger is the one that was supposed to come but they keep delaying it. With CHAdeMO appearing to be on the way out in the US I would not be surprised if they dump it. I understand they are looking at a CCS version once CCS gets the capability straightened out.

These bidirectional chargers for your home also charge your car DC at around 7kw so little more than your AC EVSE.

Did you understand the equipment and installation you needed at your home and the cost involved?

Assuming you may be in the US I went ahead and reached out to to wallbox to see how they are doing. They are targetting 2022 at this point. They are hoping to make something work with CCS by then as well. No guarantees on price, they are targetting $4000 which is way way cheaper than units I have seen in the past which typically went for close to $15000. They are "working with US utilities" not quite sure what that means probably about how to do the cutoff etc. which I asked about so that may be the answer to that. This is assuming you are serious about V2H

Back