Leaf dead - no power of any kind

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
donaldus said:
knightmb...since the Leaf doesn’t use the 12v battery to “crank”, what lithium ion, lithium iron phosphate battery would be a candidate to replace a 2018 SV’s 12v?

A 12 volt AGM battery would work about as well, for half the cost or less.

The Gen 2 haven't been around long enough yet for me to say "no more changing the battery every 3 years because the Leaf doesn't charge it properly" Of course, it's only because I haven't read anything about how the Gen 2 keeps the health of the Lead compared to the Gen 1. I'll look around since I am curious now...

knightmb said:
alozzy said:
Unless you are having a problem with your 12V supply, why change to a much more expensive lithium battery right now? Low voltage issues occur mostly with older LEAFs, it's unlikely that a 2018 like yours would have a worn out 12v lead acid battery already.

It might be fixed in the Gen 2 models, but after having the reliable Lithium all those years and all the single digit temperatures it has worked through, why fix what isn't broken? :D
It's cleaner, no acid, smaller, lighter, etc. I leave my Bluetooth dongle plugged in 24/7/365 and never had a depleted battery in any cold morning. It has worked so well that I've changed most of my friends and relatives with Gen 1 to this battery (or one like it) if they wanted to front the cost and not worry about the Lead they have dying in a few years on a cold morning.

I don't have to deal with super cold winters, so you've got a good point with that. If a lithium based battery, like the one you purchased, costs only $125 then that's comparable to the price of an AGM. One differentiator to consider is for those who use their LEAF as a backup power source via a 120V inverter. I would think that an AGM would be better for that.

I load tested, checked "settled" voltages somewhat extensively on my FLA battery in my 2102 Leaf. My best estimate is that for my conditions, the battery is kept at 40-60% SOC when not externally charged for a long period - very hard on an FLA type battery (sulfation).

Keep in mind that for a 1-2 amp "trickle" charger, to fully charge a 60% SOC, 60 ahr battery takes about 12-24 hours. My 2012 Leaf requires recharging every few weeks (the regen braking starts surging). I'm not sure how representative the Leaf Spy voltage readings are - if being used for an indication of battery SOC/condition as voltages vary so much with charging and discharging rates.

Anyone done a similar check of SOC monitering via "settled" voltages?

Back