Jack points

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While researching donuts for my Leaf, I poked my nose under the car, looking for where I would put a jack. And the owner's manual seems to be of no help at all (I still have the PDF on my work computer, even though the dealer got me the hardcopy to keep onboard).

The underside (surprise) looks like that of no other vehicle I've ever been under. I see no marked hardpoints on the body side for placing a scissors jack, and I'm not entirely sure where I'd put a bottle- or floor jack, either.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

This image will inform you and this method of notches underneath has been used for decades across all brands to show where to place a jack(stand)

leafjackpoint.png

The usual notches marking jack hardpoints are precisely what I looked for, under the sides, and didn't find.

And since I generally used a floor jack when available with the 1978 510 ("Arabella") or the 1998 Camry ("sagging old rust-bucket"), I also looked (as I said) for obvious places for that as well.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
The usual notches marking jack hardpoints are precisely what I looked for, under the sides, and didn't find.

And since I generally used a floor jack when available with the 1978 510 ("Arabella") or the 1998 Camry ("sagging old rust-bucket"), I also looked (as I said) for obvious places for that as well.

the above picture are what's on my 2019...I used the rubber pucks to protect the pinch wells when jacking with a floor jacket...see below for an example.
https://www.amazon.com/Qmiracle-Uni...keywords=car+jack+pads&qid=1620755157&sr=8-11

In the past, when using a floor or bottle jack, I looked for things like the front or rear crossmember, or the control arm, or (at least on my 510, which was rear-wheel drive) the rear axle housing, depending on what I needed to get off the ground. But I'm having trouble recognizing such points under the Leaf.

I'll look again for the characteristic notches, to see if I missed them the first time.

I can of course also enlist the help of my friend who's the senior service writer for my dealer (I've literally known him since he was in diapers).

Looked again, and this time, the ones on the port and starboard sides practically jumped out at me. Dunno how I missed them, except that the notches marking the hardpoints on old Arabella were a different shape. Something like, maybe,

old notch by James Lampert, on Flickr

Even so, I'm pretty sure the ones on my Leaf look just like the ones on my Camry (which didn't get used much, since I tended to use a floor jack).

And I also eventually found the other "Jack points" thread from 2016, which also pointed out the places to get a floor jack under the vehicle.

I still don't get it. Ok. I'm slow.... but here it goes... I want to lift both of my rear tires off the ground of my Nissan Leaf so that they can be removed at the same time. I have one scissor jack and two jack stands. I would like to jack up the car and then set the rear on jack stands for safety and be able to remove the scissor jack. (I am not rotating tires, I am not fixing a flat nor any of the other things addressed previously)

Just so we are clear - I don't want to lift a rear tire and have the front come up also. Those other iterations have already been answered here.

I can see where to place the scissor jack to jack up the rear tire. So I jack that up. Now I want to put a jack stand someplace where I can set down the elevated car and remove the jack. I can't place it next to those grooves as I tried that and the weight of the car crushed the seams. I did see one picture here where they show the middle of the rear of the car and the notation says "garage jack point". Is that the spot where I am to place the single jack stand? Is there a location where it's safe to place to jack stands (one for each of the rear wheels)?

TIA - Sorry for the "tone". But I have been looking for awhile and frustrated that Nissan didn't make this easier.
2011 Nissan Leaf.

I would assume (and always have assumed) that an axle housing would be a safe place to insert a jackstand. But I'm a programmer, not a mechanic.

@rdaught

If you routinely rotate your tires-- I do, for 5 rigs, just get a second jack, preferably a good floor jack. Even better, two floor jacks.

Just rotated my tires yesterday-- jacking up an entire side makes it quick and easy.

Oops gotta go put my snows on- decent hydraulic floor jack with 2 jack stands, this has to happen twice a year fro each vehicle so...... I have separate steel rims for winter without the pressure sensor so we see a little light on the dashboard 'till Spring rolls around.

This is somewhat relating to jack points. I will be doing the reduction gearbox oil change. It is easy enough to raise the rear by jacking up the crossmember and placing jack stands at the notched area of the pinch welds. But with the plastic undercover in the front, there is no access to that crossmember until the undercover is removed. So it is a matter of driving up on ramps, removing the cover, then jacking up the front at the crossmember then placing the front jack stands. And then jacking up the rear crossmember and placing those jack stands. Seems like a fair bit of work. Are there faster ways to do this? Thanks!

Do the front wheels need to come off? I would trust my ramps as much as I trust my jack stands so if the wheels can stay on I'd just use ramps.

I'm trying to rotate tyres on my leaf, and I see the points where I can put the jack stands. Where do i put the jack itself though? There should be a point at the front and another at the back, right?
For non directional tires I jacked up a front tire then placed the jack stand on the frame are pictured under the jack stand just back from the reinforced jack area. I then moved to the opposite rear tire with the jack and jacked that tire up and made the swap. Then I removed the jack stand on the front side after lowering the rear and moving the jack to the front where the jack stand was. I then repeated this process on the other two tires.

Attachments

• IMG_7719.jpg
    IMG_7719.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 0
To add for gen2 Leaf. On the "mud guard" (the little body mould behind the front tire) you will find a down facing triangle. Look under the car at that point and see a body weld about 10-12 cm in, and hanging about 6mm. Then there will be 2 little notches in the weld. That is the lifting point, and is at all 4 areas.

Back