Leaf 2015 not charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafbuggie

Our 2015 Leaf does not show charging lights when plugged in using the trickle charger. That's all we've been using to charge it for the last year or so. The problem began with random charge cut off. That is it does not charge to 100%. After that, we noticed sometime it may require plug/unplug a couple times to charge. Now, it just does not charge. The car will beep upon insertion but none of the charging lights light up.

Any idea on how we may troubleshoot this? The 12V battery was on the low side (12.26V) so we topped it up with an external charger but that did not seem to help. Leafspy pro shows SOH at around 80%.

Thanks.

The next thing to try is using the same L-1 charging cable in different outlets (with the circuit unloaded otherwise), assuming it isn't hardwired. If it works then, the issue is with the home circuit/outlet. If not, then next try charging the car at different charging stations.

matchett808 said:
Isn't this the charge timer behaviour? Try pressing the immediate charge button

When a charge timer is preventing charging, the blue charge lights light up in sequence, one at a time. I call it the 'charge timer dance'.

OP -- where do you live ?
You may be able to borrow someone's EVSE for a test, or just take the car to a public L2 station.

Does your car have CHAdeMO ? It would let you add some juice to your battery

It might be a proximity detection issue. Check that there's no damage to any of the pins on the EVSE's J1772 handle and that the charging port has no obstructions.

alozzy said:
It might be a proximity detection issue. Check that there's no damage to any of the pins on the EVSE's J1772 handle and that the charging port has no obstructions.

This can also happen when the smaller proximity detection wire breaks inside the handle, or even inside its insulation. Has the J-1772 cord been stepped on or driven over at all?

Are any error lights showing up on the dash when this happens? What about any flashing lights on the trickle chargger aka the EVVSE unit? There are error codes indicated by certain colors flashing.

The other idea is to read any stored trouble codes in the vehicle over the OBDII port.

LeftieBiker said:
matchett808 said:
Isn't this the charge timer behaviour? Try pressing the immediate charge button

When a charge timer is preventing charging, the blue charge lights light up in sequence, one at a time. I call it the 'charge timer dance'.

Ah - that's fair, haven't actually _ever_ used the charge time - 100% made some assumptions lol

Thanks all for your replies. I took the leaf to a public charging station and it was able to charge just fine. It's my first time ever at a public charger. It took just over 2 hours to charge the leaf from 30% to full (7.3KW station).

Therefore, I think the problem is with the trickle charger that came with the leaf. It's probably something wrong with the plug. The status light indicator on the charger (big rectangular block) is green when plugged in but not the charge light.

Back