2011 Leaf damaged by automatic car wash

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matroosoft

About a month ago I used the automatic car wash with my 2011 Leaf for the first time and was quite pleased with the result. So today I thought let's do it again but this time around it didn't end so well.

About halfway through the process, when the brushes where moving up over the rear I heard something breaking off and saw a piece of plastic flying over the car. It landed next to the rails of the washing installation, so when it moved forward it drove over it and once again when drying the car, breaking it in small pieces.

I was in the car and couldn't quite see what it was and had to wait for the wash being completed. At first I was thinking it was one of the tail light housings, but luckily it wasn't that horrible. What actually happened was that brake light housing in the spoiler broke off. I guess that the sensors didn't detect the spoiler so the brushes moving up (and rotating upwards) exerted such a force on the housing that it broke.

Anyway, the owner off the car wash wasn't available but through phone he told an employee that the part would've been loose before the car wash, otherwise it couldn't have happened according to him. But he told if I didn't agree I could come back Monday. So I have to see if we can come to an agreement then.

Does anyone know if it's an expensive part to replace?

Given stories like this and some new scratches that got added to a car which I sold years ago, I tend to avoid public automated car washes with brushes now.

I prefer to use "touchless" ones but they still have people w/wash mitts and brushes clean off your car ahead of going into the booth.

I suggest you call a dealer on Monday and find out the price of the part before talking to the car wash manager. Is the rest of the spoiler OK? I had a monthly subscription to a car wash chain that has brush-type equipment with the 2015 and transferred it to the 2019 so have gone through car wash units by that supplier numerous times without incident. Therefore, I doubt that it is a common problem.

I’ve taken my 2012SL through many car washes many times without incident. I’m trying to understand the part that broke and why. Could your post a picture perhaps?

20200704-173739.jpg

I had the antenna rod break off on my '13 in a brush style carwash. Unfortunately it broke/stripped out the female threads so I couldn't simply screw it back it. In the end I ended up purchasing a shark-fin style antenna that turned out to be a PIA to install but eventually did get to work after hours and hours of work! The antenna isn't nearly as good as the OEM rod antenna so I lost a few weaker FM channels as well as most of my AM stations but since I don't listen to the radio all that much anyway it's been fine. XM reception is the same but again I don't really use it.

Looks like it's quite an expensive part:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/2011-nissan-leaf/body_electrical/high_mounting_stop_lamp.html?PNC=26570M

Even on eBay it's > $200

alozzy said:
Looks like it's quite an expensive part:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/2011-nissan-leaf/body_electrical/high_mounting_stop_lamp.html?PNC=26570M

Even on eBay it's > $200

Thanks, that's expensive indeed. I'll ask my Nissan dealer for a quotation today, will see what they ask for it.

This happened too even after using the same car wash many times but this time it actually almost lifted the rear up and broken two bolts and the rear brake light cover off :evil:

Several Gen 1's have been "parted out" on this forum - might want to do a search just to determine if someone can supply it Seems to be an unusual part to replace! Might have to paint it, but that's likely anyway. Then again it looks to be all red lens?

bitmanEV, I'm in UK too and I've always avoided car washes because their terms of service seem to absolve them of any responsibility whatsoever. It is posted at the entrance to the wash so you cannot deny having the opportunity to read it. I have not used such a machine since I had my last company car in 1989 so the consumer protection laws may have changed since then.

My wife's Leaf leaks water in through the tailgate area if even a garden hose is used injudiciously when washing it. A car wash, especially a pressure wash type, would guarantee a luggage compartment awash with water!

Good luck with your claim anyway. Keep us posted.

What ever you say about the signs...

Shell have fully admit liability and arranged a Nissan approved car body shop to fix it. I can even get a free courtesy car as the Leaf will be at the body shop for about 3 days

So here you go

Update;

My LEAF is fixed at Fix Auto Birmingham free of charge inclusive a Herts courtesy car for 3 days

It took so long due parts shortage but all good

Back