2012 Leaf with Popping/Banging sounds from front right

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I've got a 2012 Leaf (one of the first made from what I've seen). Only 16700 miles on it. Interior is pristine as is the exterior save for some paint swirling - nothing a cut & polish can't solve. It is a right hand drive car, imported from Japan to New Zealand (which is where I live).

I've had it for just over two weeks. This is my first EV and so my first car with no 'engine noise' so I am hearing a lot of noises you wouldn't otherwise hear.

I find there is a strange banging/popping/"thunk"/"clunk" sound coming from the front right hand side. Sounds like its coming from above the wheel.

It seems intermittent. I tried to replicate it by going over bumps, turning the steering wheel side to side but it seems intermittent. To me, it sounds like it _COULD_ be a ball joint or sway bar or something.

The car has just gone through a "compliance" check, and then a second inspection (yearly inspection for older cars is mandatory here), and none of these has turned up anything about this.

Any ideas what this could be?

Also thought I'd add - I can't feel the noise through the steering (so it doesn't feel like an issue with the rack&pinion nor the actual tie rods.

I can't recreate the noise by rapidly swinging the steering from side to side when stopped.

You are likely on the right track. Just add "CV joint" to your list. There is also a bearing in the strut tower that lets the struts turn with the steering; that may be dry.

KeepTheCoalInTheHole said:
Hi all,

I've got a 2012 Leaf (one of the first made from what I've seen). Only 16700 miles on it. Interior is pristine as is the exterior save for some paint swirling - nothing a cut & polish can't solve. It is a right hand drive car, imported from Japan to New Zealand (which is where I live).

I've had it for just over two weeks. This is my first EV and so my first car with no 'engine noise' so I am hearing a lot of noises you wouldn't otherwise hear.

I find there is a strange banging/popping/"thunk"/"clunk" sound coming from the front right hand side. Sounds like its coming from above the wheel.

It seems intermittent. I tried to replicate it by going over bumps, turning the steering wheel side to side but it seems intermittent. To me, it sounds like it _COULD_ be a ball joint or sway bar or something.

The car has just gone through a "compliance" check, and then a second inspection (yearly inspection for older cars is mandatory here), and none of these has turned up anything about this.

Any ideas what this could be?

Did you resolve this problem? Sounds similar to what I'm trying to track down. The intermittent nature makes it tough.

Our 2011 had a distinct clunk when changing from drive to reverse pretty early on. It took 2 or 3 visits at the dealer to make it go away. I seem to remember a recall for lubing or tightening steering stuff. Any mechanic should be able to find it.

Back