2015 Leaf A/C —Dealer wants $3900 to repair

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72andsunny

My hard stop figure was 2K. The dealer wants $3900 to replace the evaporator. They also want to change the brake fluid and align the wheels; I did the brake fluid about a year ago, so I’m doubtful it needs replacing and I figure anyone can do the wheels. In the mean time, I plan on sweating a little. I see an evaporator is not an expensive part, so maybe I’ll look into DIYing this repair. Pretty sure I’m not going to buy another Nissan.

Keep in mind the leaf's electric compressor uses one of two non-standard lubricants (depending on vehicle). The normal compressor oil will ruin the unit. For similar reasons, dyes or sealants cannot be used. Make sure to get the service manual before undertaking HVAC repairs.

In case anyone was interested:

A friend with a Leaf was also told by this dealer that his evaporator was bad and needed replacing---for $3500+. He took it to his regular mechanic, who did the job for around $1000. So I took mine to the same mechanic...they replaced the o-rings and so far it's working: $320 including diagnostics.

Why are nissan dealers so crappy?

There are crooks among all brands - it's the American dealership model. Nissan does at least seem to have a higher proportion of crooks among their franchised dealers, though...

72andsunny said:
In case anyone was interested:

A friend with a Leaf was also told by this dealer that his evaporator was bad and needed replacing---for $3500+. He took it to his regular mechanic, who did the job for around $1000. So I took mine to the same mechanic...they replaced the o-rings and so far it's working: $320 including diagnostics.

Why are nissan dealers so crappy?

Forgot to post an update. A/C stopped blowing cold after a week. Mechanic found a very fine crack in (I'm having trouble remembering, now) the high pressure line right near the o-ring that was leaking. It took about 3 trips, but total cost came out to a little under $1000. It's winter here, which means usually only in the low 80s, but the AC has been blowing cold for a couple months now.

Back