Toxic smell in car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tn77

I've owned a used Leaf for a couple months now. About three days ago, I got in my car in the morning and there was some nasty smell. Its origins are hard to determine, but I think it's coming from near the back seat floor (hey, isn't that where the battery is?).

I'd classify this smell as the junk you smell when you walk past a manicure store. It smells just horrible, so much that my throat is now irritated after I've been driving the vehicle. It's definitely synthetic or mechanical; we haven't had food in the car.

I had a battery checkup today at the local Nissan dealership (something that was scheduled prior to the smell's origin) and the idiots there said they couldn't even smell anything! This is pretty infuriating, as the smell is obvious. (Note that they also couldn't answer warranty questions or other basic things. I can't wait to own my Model 3 and deal with a company that actually wants to sell electric cars.) Their tests on the battery showed that it was healthy. Not sure if I believe dealerships. Ever.

This smell in the car isn't getting better, and it's been three days. What are your thoughts on this? What could it be? HOW can I determine what it is? Has anyone else experienced this?

tn77 said:
I had a battery checkup today at the local Nissan dealership (something that was scheduled prior to the smell's origin) and the idiots there said they couldn't even smell anything! This is pretty infuriating, as the smell is obvious.

You should know that dealership service departments deliberately hire people without sensory apparatus. They can't smell odors, they can't hear rattles, they can't feel vibrations, and they can't see cars pulling to one side of the road. :lol:

Good luck tracking it down. I suppose the first thing I might try is to air out the car really good and then get inside and try to pinpoint the origin. Airing it out first should help; otherwise it may seem like the smell is everywhere. Check the air vents and under the hood. Rodents have been known to nest; they like the hours of gentle warmth from the charger. Or maybe the car was tagged by a skunk?

What year is the car? In 2013 they moved the onboard charger (and associated coolant lines) from behind the rear seats to the front of the car.

Check your coolant level to see if there might be a leak.

Unsure what manicure shops smell like? solvents and paint remover?

tn77 said:
I've owned a used Leaf for a couple months now. About three days ago, I got in my car in the morning and there was some nasty smell. Its origins are hard to determine, but I think it's coming from near the back seat floor (hey, isn't that where the battery is?).

I'd classify this smell as the junk you smell when you walk past a manicure store. It smells just horrible, so much that my throat is now irritated after I've been driving the vehicle. It's definitely synthetic or mechanical; we haven't had food in the car.

I had a battery checkup today at the local Nissan dealership (something that was scheduled prior to the smell's origin) and the idiots there said they couldn't even smell anything! This is pretty infuriating, as the smell is obvious. (Note that they also couldn't answer warranty questions or other basic things. I can't wait to own my Model 3 and deal with a company that actually wants to sell electric cars.) Their tests on the battery showed that it was healthy. Not sure if I believe dealerships. Ever.

This smell in the car isn't getting better, and it's been three days. What are your thoughts on this? What could it be? HOW can I determine what it is? Has anyone else experienced this?

It sounds like maybe a capacitor that has blown somewhere, they tend to smell very chemically sometimes. But the problem is that would definitely have some functional symptoms. Would you describe it as more acrid/sharp or more like burnt/melted plastic?

Nubo:

No skunk, doubtful that there are rodents. Besides, these things would have been found upon today's inspection, right? It's a 2011.

Your manicure shop smell description is correct.

Epirali:

No functional symptoms (yet!), so yeah, that's confusing. I would describe it more like burnt plastic.

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I drive a chevy spark and am having the exact same problem. Bought it used three months ago, got in this morning, horrible toxic smell that was noxious and yet the car was driving fine with no warnings. It was so toxic that I drive with all of the windows down but could still feel the lining of my mouth irritated for the first part of my day. I have two kids and worried about it being poisonous, not to mention undriveable with this intense chemical smell.

Has this ever been resolved? I have the same issue. The interior smells like really strong plastic/vinyl odor. Have to drive with the windows down. even makes my clothes smell. My first guess was the interior material was degrading and this off gassing. But now im not sure. Car runs fine and I dont smell anything outside of the car when parked in a garage.

Back