AC charging does not work, 2012 Leaf in Sweden

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2012 Leaf as well. That sound at the end of your video is very familiar. I'd guess it's a motor pumping coolant around the charger fluid circuit.

On my 2012 when plugging in i get a single beep and some clacking relays, followed by 2 beeps. So a total of 3 beeps. Don't know why or what that means but there must be some reason for it.

nlspace said:
Is there some damage in the potted area between the two orange capacitors on the left side in your picture over by fuse F102? There is a resistor buried under the potting in that section of the output filter that you can measure from the bottom side.

I actually wanted to remove the potting material and what you see is probably the damage from that attempt. But I also checked the resistor and to my surprise, it shows open. [It either was damaged before or maybe my knife has cut it].

Uttie said:
Hi mikeEcho, i am having problems with ac charging too, i also live in sweden and have a 2012 leaf. But mine makes a strange sound from the motor area when i connect the 230v charger, i uploaded it to youtube. Did yours sound anything like this?
My car has not been able to charge from public charging points for quite a while now btw.

https://youtube.com/shorts/HFmDHEmQsYo?feature=share

Not sure, I am not sure what is the sound in your video, are you shaking the connector or is it from some relays?

BTW...
Uttie said:
My car has not been able to charge from public charging points for quite a while now btw.
Do you mean you can charge at home?

My resistor measures about 317k Ohms.

The black potting in the fenced areas is easy to remove with a wooden spudger stick.

i use a bamboo chop stick that has one end sharpened to a point and the other end whittled to a flat blade like a screwdriver, it is easy to pry the material out with wooden tools to avoid damage from knives and metal tools.

MikeEcho said:
Not sure, I am not sure what is the sound in your video, are you shaking the connector or is it from some relays?

The first click is from the connector, then i dont move it anymore. The sounds come from somewhere behind the motor, the first two clicks and the blue lights flicking are as usual when connecting the car for charging, but then they click again and the light turns off, and the whole cycle starts again with clicking. Now that you mention it does sound like relays.
And no, i cant charge at home since a couple of weeks with the j1772 which is the real problem here. What i meant is i cant use any of the free charging poles in our city, i started noticing about two years ago that the newer ones did not work with my car anymore, literally nothing happens when i connect. no lights, no clicks, nothing. my hypothesis was that they maybe are too strong (7 kw +) or "speak another language", but in retrospect maybe there was something faulty with the on board charger already?
I am a fairly competent home mechanic, but electronics are not really something i understand and i am struggling to find the fault. I would really appreciate any help in figuring out where the problem is, i can then change parts and so. Do you guys think my problem is with the on board charger?
I borrowed a j1772 from a friend with a 2016 model to check if my j1722 is the problem , and the car makes the same sounds and does not charge. i also checked the plug connector in the car and the cables from it to a box behind the motor, and the cables and connector were all good.

You may have an issue in the OBC, but to be sure and know where to look it would help to find out which DTCs have been thrown and stored. The issue could be in the communication with the EVSE, or within the OBC; The codes would help determine where to look. A dealer could read the tools with the Consult scanner tool, or you can do it yourself.

An OBDII reader such as the scantool OBDLink LX has bluetooth to connect with an android device running the leafspy app, and it will display the codes from all the ECUs.

There is a good thread discussing the diode issue with a successful repair,...
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24560#p505289

Uttie said:
MikeEcho said:

The first click is from the connector, then i dont move it anymore. The sounds come from somewhere behind the motor, the first two clicks and the blue lights flicking are as usual when connecting the car for charging, but then they click again and the light turns off, and the whole cycle starts again with clicking. Now that you mention it does sound like relays.
And no, i cant charge at home since a couple of weeks with the j1772 which is the real problem here. What i meant is i cant use any of the free charging poles in our city, i started noticing about two years ago that the newer ones did not work with my car anymore, literally nothing happens when i connect. no lights, no clicks, nothing. my hypothesis was that they maybe are too strong (7 kw +) or "speak another language", but in retrospect maybe there was something faulty with the on board charger already?
I am a fairly competent home mechanic, but electronics are not really something i understand and i am struggling to find the fault. I would really appreciate any help in figuring out where the problem is, i can then change parts and so. Do you guys think my problem is with the on board charger?
I borrowed a j1772 from a friend with a 2016 model to check if my j1722 is the problem , and the car makes the same sounds and does not charge. i also checked the plug connector in the car and the cables from it to a box behind the motor, and the cables and connector were all good.

If you conclude that you need an OBC, there seems to be a rather expensive OBC in Norway: https://finndel.no/delinfo.aspx?f=750&dnr=23931... I think the prices approaching to the levels to consider conversion to 3 phase aftermarket chargers.

Back