buzzing/rattling 2012 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeye1289

I had a buzzing/rattling issue on my 2012 Leaf. It only happens when its cold outside. Kind of starts at about 50F, and gets worse as it gets colder. I finally determined that its coming from the rear view mirror. I thought at first that it was the wires or jacket for the cord, but after re-shrinkwrapping it and isolating that specific part, its clear the problem is within the mirror itself.

Searches on other forums show that this is a very common problem among Nissan cars, and several other forums detail somewhat useful approaches for fixing the problem.

I took mine apart last night, and didn't take any pictures... I was a bit in a hurry and was doing it in the spur of the moment, after having to listen to the buzzing all the way home.

If it helps other users, I'll try to document the process I took.
Take off the mirror, which uses a T20 torx screwdriver to loosen the set-screw.
The mirror is clipped together and is seamless on the outside. Use plastic spudgers or putty knives to separate the two halves of the mirror.
Its best to start about 1" in from the left or right on the bottom of the mirror. Once you get it started you can work around until you get it completely apart.
You will find that there is no isolation or insulation used in the housing, and this is what is rattling. I applied silicone to all the areas of the back ABS plastic that contact the control board. I also placed some thin foam tape on the top of the control board (facing the mirror).
Finally I put a bead of silicone around the ABS fascia (front part) which presses against the mirror. A lot of posts on the 350Z forums indicate that this is the root of the problem which is the glass rattling against this front border piece.
I pressed these together, then wiped all the excess silicone with a rag until there wasn't any visible.

Seems to be working great, just wanted to share as this as been annoying me for the last year (on cold days).

Thanks for posting about this--it is perfect timing since i just started hearing this today and wondered what was the buzzing? i thought it might have been an insect caught inside the dash. Annoying noise.

Back