Potential issue? 2017 SV+ 30kwh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerys

Ok I live in new mexico. 24miles up mountain from Albuquerque. so its 1600ft downhill to get to the city and 1600ft uphill to get back home.

anyway I drove a short distance 24.2miles IIRC to a walmart lot to pick up some water tanks (they weigh nothing 35gallons you can pick up one with one hand)

IIRC I had 72% left on the battery maybe 68% by the time I hit the "climb"

I got lucky and I mean INSANELY lucky. I was totally not paying attemtpion to charge since it only takes 40% to climb the mountain to get back home so I was not paying attention at all to it.

The only reason I knew I was in trouble soon enough to do something about it was I was using the cars built in navigation (I don't use it often) and it suddenly said "destination may be out of range" part way up the mountain. I was like WTF looked down and the car is damned near dead !!! I killed everything put the 4 ways on and dropped down to 50mph VERY SKETCH !!! speed limit here is 65 and later 75mph but it was that or just pull over and wait for AAA because no way in hell would I make it at my current rate of consumption and it was dropping fast

I thought maybe I accidentally turned the heater on nope. everything was off.

I did make it. less than 4% left when I got home

I plugged the car into the trickle charger (project is in the way of the 240v charger for a few days) and in 2 hours the charge "jumped" to 56% if you understand what I Just said you know that's not possible. 13amps at 110v can't get you from 4% to 56% in 2 hours. physically impossible

I let it charge it seemed to charge normally otherwise.

What gives? bad cell? BMS cut a bag cell out on the climb (it is a roughly climb over 1600ft at 65mph) Fluke?

Sunday or monday I am going to repeat the trip and see what happens but pay more attention to it this time.

Ideas? Thoughts?

2017 30kwh SV+ 45,000 already lost 2 capacity bars (at 35,000 miles I lost the second one!!!)

Weak cells will cause that behavior. The voltage of the weak cell(s) drops under heavy load so the BMS reduces SOC and remaining range even though the other cells have plenty of energy. It is a cascading situation because the motor draws more current as its terminal voltage drops and the increasing current causes more voltage drop which causes the motor to draw more current. The only solution is to reduce power draw (which you did).

The voltage of the weak cell(s) increases faster than the other cells while charging so the displayed SOC increases faster than expected as the BMS updates. You arrived home with more energy in the remaining cells than normal because you drove slow and the actual SOC of those cells was higher than displayed.

I'm not in the mood to piece together your post into a succinct description and question so I'll guess you are concerned about your battery, either for the long term or that something recent has happened.

LeafSpy is the way to figure it out. I live in Abq, so if you would like you can drop by and I'll scan your car for you. Weak cells are best identified by a scan when the SoC is low -- say below 30%.

If you want to DIY, the app is around $10 - $15,
and a good Bluetooth adapter is currently on sale for $60 at
https://www.obdlink.com/

I agree with the other posts, the SoC behavior sounds like weak cell(s). As an aside, if your car has not had the Nissan 30 kWh pack software update you should schedule that service at a dealership ASAP. You are going to need it done one way or another.

I would really like to see some LeafSpy cell data on this pack. I have a weak cell and would like to know exactly how "weak" it has to be to cause this kind of behavior.

I have leaf spy and an adaptor just have to dig it up. I will repeat the same identical run I made once I find the adapter and run leafspy

Sagebrush if I can't find my BT adapter I may take you up on your offer but it would have to be carefully planned as I can not make it home on 30% I need at least 45-50% to make it up the mountain (not counting this potential problem)

so I would have to drain the battery up here then come down mountain already below 50% to end up around 30% depending on how deep into ABQ you are and do it early so I can stop by melloy and charge up again to head up mountain.

IE I would have to carefully plan that day. thank you for offering its appreciated!

nerys said:
I have leaf spy and an adaptor just have to dig it up. I will repeat the same identical run I made once I find the adapter and run leafspy

No reason to repeat the run. Just scan with LeafSpy when the SoC is < 30%. And check the App for DTC's. I think you need the 'pro' version of the App

nerys said:

Sagebrush if I can't find my BT adapter I may take you up on your offer but it would have to be carefully planned as I can not make it home on 30% I need at least 45-50% to make it up the mountain (not counting this potential problem)
Do you live on the east or west side of the Sandia ? My home is at 6300 feet to the west, near the tram.

nerys said:
I am up in edgewood

I agree, your path of least resistance is to find your adapter ;)

Albuquerque has new (and for now, free) L2 charging at the NW corner of Candelaria and Tramway at the 'Bridges', and at the Rec center near Costco. You need an App from SEMA for the former, and from ChargePoint to use the latter. There is also a private EVSE in Tijeras you may be able to use in a pinch. Plugshare.com has the details

Take heart -- your LEAF has a good battery warranty. If that is the problem, it will be resolved at no cost to you. The only stickler might be waiting.

Finally got it ran leaf spy

I am limited on how MUCH I can push it to get results from leafspy. if I command too many KWH from the drive unit the car will shut down entirely (disconnect the battery pack) and then my only option is a AAA home and plug it in to reset it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13YsA1IGtQJo_pqpmnSb_GxNFOpU_7FtA?usp=sharing

That is some screenies from leafspy today coming home with 100% charge right off the EVSE at the dealership. SOH just over 70% with 46,000 miles. Ouch. and yet still insists 10 bars which is impossible with that SOH.

I started running leafspy around 60% SOC. I was hitting 93 to 122mv delta on the cells under 20-30kwh load. I dared not risk more and risk a shut down.

Let me know what you think and what I can do. I am only 5% from new battery trigger but I don't think my SOH means anything anymore as they only go by the capacity bars it seems and those refuse to go away even though I am well below their thresholds.

I think the dealership ran the update again (they already did that 2 years ago) since when I got in it said 109miles range at full charge but within 5 miles that was down in the 80's again as the car realized that was BS.

Was it ever below 10 bars? The firmware update supposedly resets the BMS so it will show 12 bars and then re-adjust as it measures the true capacity.

The battery is warranted for 8 years. If the dealer won't do anything you could contact Nissan USA also. If that doesn't help maybe just start doing lots of CHAdeMO sessions and leave the car parked at 100% SOC as much as possible in the heat.

NO as best I can recall it never went below 10 bars.

sadly there is no chademo around here :-( the one L3 charger I can access (free too) but its BARELY over L2 (7kwh)

I thought bar 8 was 62-64% ?? Is this listed anywhere? maybe I was looking at the wrong pack size or something (30kwh pack)

"This does not make any sense. Are you trying to say 20 - 30 kW load ?"

you seemed to have no problem at all figuring it out.

I never claimed to be a world expert. please find "world" anywhere in my post.

nerys said:
"This does not make any sense. Are you trying to say 20 - 30 kW load ?"
you seemed to have no problem at all figuring it out.
If you cannot be bothered to make the minimal effort required to write correct units, I cannot be bothered with you.
I never claimed to be a world expert. please find "world" anywhere in my post.
Trumper "reasoning"

Back