2018-2019 Leaf 2.0 "Service EV System. Unable to restart after power off"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
MikeinPA said:
SageBrush said:
Nissan has a severe definition of when a weak cell becomes a manufacturing defect. We know it includes DTCs; and we know it sometimes includes the CLI test protocol. More transparency is lacking. One thing we know for sure: it is not defined by what you think it should be.
Well, if they wont honor the warranty, then there are other options.
You sound like one of the 3 musketeers.

If I was in your shoes with your car and had a Nissan warranty claim rejection, I would seek arbitration.

The 3 musketeers reference eludes me, but is has been a very compressed years since this came up. I did seek arbitration through the BBBautoline, and they dismissed it because they only weigh in during the "basic" warranty, three years. That is what they told me.

Sagebrush, that's the thing!
If I was in your shoes with your car and had a Nissan warranty claim rejection, I would seek arbitration.
They have never ever rejected anything! Just non-answers. Not "your bad cell isn't bad enough", not 'there is no warranty", not 'the warranty doesn't apply".

MikeinPA said:
Sagebrush, that's the thing!
They have never ever rejected anything! Just non-answers. Not "your bad cell isn't bad enough", not 'there is no warranty", not 'the warranty doesn't apply".

You are right to demand a decision. IANAL, but I think you have the right to also demand to know why a claim is rejected.
Check you state's Lemon laws

As an aside, remember that Nissan is rather busy these days trying to avoid BK. Don't ascribe to malice that which can be explained by corporate disarray.

You are right to demand a decision.
I have not demanded anything, just not my style. I am polite and patient. But persistent. But this is good advice. The next time I go in I will make every effort to get a response on this.

IANAL, but I think you have the right to also demand to know why a claim is rejected.
Check you state's Lemon laws
I don't believe this is a lemon law situation, car is older than that for starters, its not new, so on.

As an aside, remember that Nissan is rather busy these days trying to avoid BK. Don't ascribe to malice that which can be explained by corporate disarray.
No malice. Mild frustration. In fact, although it is not coming through very well, I have a high opinion of Nissan and formerly Datsun. I love the Leaf. It would probably be a totally different situation if I actually needed the car for commuting or something. Most days I am on a bike and the white Leaf is healthy. :mrgreen:

No I did not know that. Stock has nearly doubled over the past 12 months.

Some examples of slow to fix packs under the defect warranty:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18103&start=30#p509949viewtopic.php?t=22667
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20106&start=10#p430085
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31826&start=10#p597312
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31826&start=70#p598183
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=596784#p596792
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31779&start=60#p599298
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25071&start=10#p514806
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31706#p595378
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=28108#p551159

MikeinPA said:
I have not demanded anything,
Then don't expect anything, and most certainly do not slander Nissan.

A demand does not mean uncivil, it means a call to respond to a contract provision.

SageBrush said:
MikeinPA said:
I have not demanded anything,
Then don't expect anything, and most certainly do not slander Nissan
Wasn't planning on slandering Nissan or anyone for that matter. But thanks for the advice.

A demand does not mean uncivil, it means a call to respond to a tort provision.
OK, I am always up for constructive advice. How do I get a yes/no decision from Nissan on a battery defect warranty claim?

MikeinPA said:
How do I get a yes/no decision from Nissan on a battery defect warranty claim?
1. Call the LEAF line in if you do not already have a case #
2. Follow-up with a letter explaining your dissatisfaction with the lack of a decision, and your intent to seek remedy in X days unless Nissan responds.
3. If no response in X days, invoke Nissan arbitration

Just had this error happen on my 2021 Nissan Leaf S Plus with 6k miles on Friday June 25th. Had it towed to local Nissan Dealership in Monroeville PA. They still haven't touched it.
I don't think they have any idea how to work on EVs. I hope my brand new 2 month old leaf with only 6k miles on it does not sit at dealer for months.

They never offered me a loaner I had to ask for one and they said they have none to give me.

I called consumer affairs this am and started a case file.

I called the service dept 6 times today to ask about my Leaf and noone ever answered the phone.

Pretty frustrating that my brand new Leaf is undrivable.

I got this exact same problem last week on on 2021 SL+, 4500 miles on the clock. Looked at the codes in LeafSpy, and they were pretty much the same as what others have reported:

P31E7 000B EV/HEV Restart Inhibition EVC-310
P0AA6 1A08 EV/HEV Hybrid Batt Volt Sys Isolation EVC-157
P0ABF 1608 EV/HEV 14V Power Supply EVC-136

Had it towed to the local dealership, and showed them the problem. Unfortunately, the dealer was not able to get the problem to reproduce - after clearing the codes and running their standard diagnostics, the car starts fine.

Not a comfortable feeling....

Some factors which may or may not be coincidental to the failure
1) Car had been sitting (at 40% charge) for about 3 weeks until two days before the failure
2) Car seemed to be going through a periodic BMS adjustment (almost 2% drop in SOH) during this period.

Well, another member for the club…

I tried turning on our 2019 Nissan Leaf SV (24k km) today and got the “Service EV System No Power” warning, and the vehicle wouldn’t start.

I tried plugging it in and it wouldn’t charge.

While plugged in, I activated the Climate Control via the Nissan LEAF app. That worked.

I then called Nissan to see if they could help and they recommended I get the vehicle towed to the nearest dealer. Since it was the evening, I decided to hold off on doing this.

I decided to try to start the vehicle again, so unplugged and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it started! :)

Using LeafSpy, I checked if I could see an issue. I do see some DTC codes, but nothing similar to those posted in this thread. I did however notice that the 12v battery voltage is way too low - Went down to 8.8V when the car was turned off and the headlights were on, 9.44 when the lights were off. I think I saw that this could cause this issue, so I will start by changing my battery (It also did go dead a few times already…). Fingers crossed that this will fix the issue!

That should do it. Make sure that the new 12 volt battery is fully charged before you install it, or charge it immediately after installation, with an external battery charger. I recommend an AGM type battery, type 51R - and that "R" is very important.

Thanks! I did get the 51R at Costco. Unfortunately, they didn’t have the AGM version in store. It was fully charged, but I plugged in the vehicle after installing it - if I am not mistaken, the 12v battery is typically charged as well as the drive battery when the vehicle is plugged-in?

It has only been a couple of days, but up to this point, I have not seen any issues. :)

Don't rely on plugging the car in to charge the 12 volt battery. That should work, in an ideal world, but in this one it doesn't really. Use an external battery charger or maintainer/charger to top off the 12 volt battery. I'm glad to hear that this seems to have resolved your problem.

oxothuk said:
I got this exact same problem last week on on 2021 SL+, 4500 miles on the clock. Looked at the codes in LeafSpy, and they were pretty much the same as what others have reported:

P31E7 000B EV/HEV Restart Inhibition EVC-310
P0AA6 1A08 EV/HEV Hybrid Batt Volt Sys Isolation EVC-157
P0ABF 1608 EV/HEV 14V Power Supply EVC-136

Had it towed to the local dealership, and showed them the problem. Unfortunately, the dealer was not able to get the problem to reproduce - after clearing the codes and running their standard diagnostics, the car starts fine.

Not a comfortable feeling....

Some factors which may or may not be coincidental to the failure
1) Car had been sitting (at 40% charge) for about 3 weeks until two days before the failure
2) Car seemed to be going through a periodic BMS adjustment (almost 2% drop in SOH) during this period.
This problem reoccurred on Tuesday, but this time I was able to drive to the dealership before turning the car off and they were able to come out with their diagnostic computer and read the codes directly.

Diagnosis is that I have a bad battery module. Part is back ordered - no ETA, but the service tech said to expect "several weeks". At least they gave me a loaner this time.

Finally got my Leaf back today after seven weeks. Well really six weeks, since they had it ready a week ago but I was out of town. Service manager said mine was at least the fourth they have serviced like this in the last six months, and speculated that there must have been a bad batch at the factory.

Car runs fine now, but SOH dropped another 2% while it was in the shop. Now down to 91.9% after only 9 months/6K miles.

oxothuk said:
Service manager said mine was at least the fourth they have serviced like this in the last six months, and speculated that there must have been a bad batch at the factory.
In a way I wish that were true, but in reading this thread I have seen a range of at least 2 years of cars where this "bad cell/module" occurs. It also seems like most of these cars are the larger (62 kWh) pack, but I don't see how it would be isolated to the larger pack size...although that wouldn't upset me since I'm running a 40 kWh pack :?
Glad you got your Leaf back up-and-running.

Another one reporting here, I got the dreaded P31E7 / P0AA6 errors immediately after a 30 minute fast charge at a Nissan dealer. My Leaf is a 2020 SL Plus (18 months old, 16000 miles). Just got it back from the dealer a week ago, they had it for 67 days (battery module was back ordered). The vehicle seems to run fine, but I'm concerned about the cell balancing. LeafSpy Pro shows a group of 9 cells which are about 170 mV lower than the others when fully charged. Prior to the module replacement, the difference was less than 20 mV. The GOM shows normal range (~230 mi) when fully charged, and the SOH is about 94%.

Is this imbalance going to correct itself over time? I have only done one charge cycle since the battery was serviced. Or should I take it back and have them correct it? Also wondering if they have to take the battery pack out of the vehicle in order to rebalance. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.

If the cells have the same basic capacity they should balance themselves over time. If they don't....I would guess Nissan will tell you that the new cells are good enough to satisfy the warranty and leave it at that.

I think that the battery would need to be removed from the car and the case opened up in order to balance the new cells but I'm not sure about that. Theoretically, the controller could be used to balance the cells but the balancing current is low and I think it is only designed to handle the drift of the cell voltages during normal operation.

It sounds like the immediate problem has been fixed so I'd give the cells a chance to reach a better balance before going back to the dealer.

Cbdudley said:
Another one reporting here, I got the dreaded P31E7 / P0AA6 errors immediately after a 30 minute fast charge at a Nissan dealer. My Leaf is a 2020 SL Plus (18 months old, 16000 miles). Just got it back from the dealer a week ago, they had it for 67 days (battery module was back ordered). The vehicle seems to run fine, but I'm concerned about the cell balancing. LeafSpy Pro shows a group of 9 cells which are about 170 mV lower than the others when fully charged. Prior to the module replacement, the difference was less than 20 mV. The GOM shows normal range (~230 mi) when fully charged, and the SOH is about 94%.

Is this imbalance going to correct itself over time? I have only done one charge cycle since the battery was serviced. Or should I take it back and have them correct it? Also wondering if they have to take the battery pack out of the vehicle in order to rebalance. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.
My guess would be, they probably had no way to balance the cells when the pack was open and just going to let time do its thing. There is a way to balance them out, but it's a long and tedious process of running down the pack slowly using LeafSpy as a guide and then charging back up after pack shutdown, then waiting some time (like days or weeks) and repeating the process until you get the balance where you want it. It took 3 attempts to balance my wife's 2018 40kWh pack when she bought it, it was actually more out of balance than yours was, so it's probably possible if you have time and patience and access to a good L2 EVSE nearby. :)

Back