ELROY
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 023406

Re: IS THIS NORMAL FOR A LEAF?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:50 am

surfingslovak wrote:
ELROY wrote:I am still wondering if there might be something wrong with my battery. It's just something I suspected from the day I picked up the car.
ImageELROY, the numbers you posted look perfectly reasonable. If you are still concerned about the battery, is there a chance that you could put a Gid meter to your LEAF? The recharge from VLBW to full should take somewhere between 6:45 and 7:00 hours. It's a hair over 7 hours from turtle to full on a new car, I believe.
I wish I had a GID meter! I'm curious as to how long it is going to take to charge tonight. I usually charge from midnight-, because of my Super Off Peak Time being 12am-6am. Tonight we are supposed to set our clocks ahead 1 hr. I already set the dash clock 1hr ahead, but not the one on the NAV screen. Is the NAV screen time updated automatically through CARWINGS? I'm really curious as to whether the charging is going to start at what used to be 12am, even though it will technically suddenly be 1am. Which means I can't get the full 100% charge within 5hrs of time. Perhaps I will just go outside and push the timer override.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:06 am

ELROY wrote:I wish I had a GID meter! I'm curious as to how long it is going to take to charge tonight. I usually charge from midnight-, because of my Super Off Peak Time being 12am-6am. Tonight we are supposed to set our clocks ahead 1 hr. I already set the dash clock 1hr ahead, but not the one on the NAV screen. Is the NAV screen time updated automatically through CARWINGS? I'm really curious as to whether the charging is going to start at what used to be 12am, even though it will technically suddenly be 1am. Which means I can't get the full 100% charge within 5hrs of time. Perhaps I will just go outside and push the timer override.
None of the clocks will update automatically, unfortunately. Perhaps they changed that in the 2013, but it's a manual process in 2011 and 2012 LEAFs. I concur with your timer override plan, sounds like the right thing to do given the circumstances. Is there a chance that your could link up with the SoCal group Gary organizes? It's 86 miles from Oxnard to Cypress, and a quick charger should be available there.
Last edited by surfingslovak on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 am

ELROY wrote: I wish I had a GID meter!
From looking at one of your earlier posts, it looks like you're in So Cal. Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side) so that it's easy for people to find/know?

I'd imagine there's someone in your area who could loan you one.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ELROY

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:37 am

cwerdna wrote:
ELROY wrote: I wish I had a GID meter!
From looking at one of your earlier posts, it looks like you're in So Cal. Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side) so that it's easy for people to find/know?

I'd imagine there's someone in your area who could loan you one.
Updated my profile. Location: Camarillo, California.

FYI: I sat in the car and waited, the timer turned it on at 12:00am. I pressed the timer override button and turned on, off the ignition. Still says the timer is on (per dash display). I turned off the timer in the Nav Display. Car still seemed to be charging. I supposed once it is charging, you have to unplug and plug it back in again?

surfingslovak
Vendor

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:43 am

Yes, once a charging session is underway, can't do much to change its parameters. It looks like you could chance a trip to Santa Ana from Camarillo, and attend a regular SoCal LEAF meetup. They hold an Open EVSE workshop up in Cypress regularly, which should be well within your driving range. It's a good and very knowledge group. "Gids" are named after the meeting organizer BTW ;-)

ELROY

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:31 am

surfingslovak wrote:Yes, once a charging session is underway, can't do much to change its parameters. It looks like you could chance a trip to Santa Ana from Camarillo, and attend a regular SoCal LEAF meetup. They hold an Open EVSE workshop up in Cypress regularly, which should be well within your driving range. It's a good and very knowledge group. "Gids" are named after the meeting organizer BTW ;-)
Sounds like fun. I think the maximum distance I can go on the freeway is right about 60 miles. I can make it to Staples Center from Camarillo.

I have been trying to figure out a way to get a solar system underway as cheap as possible. I mean, for a 8KW system and $5-$7 watt installed in SoCal, that could be $40,000 + which doesn't make sense at all. I see panels on Ebay for a 7.9KW system for about .88 cents/watt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-99KW-Sharp-23 ... 0908722559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Isn't there a way to charge the LEAF without an expensive battery array or grid tie system? Once you Grid Tie, you have to have certified electricians install it, with permits, etc....and expensive labor! I'm thinking about finding out what it takes to be a certified electrical contractor. I used to be a Certified BMW technician specializing in electronics, so I have decent background experience.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 am

^^^
I'm not even a novice when it comes to solar options, but you don't have to buy. There are other methods such as leasing and power purchase agreement (PPA). I've always known of SolarCity (Elon Musk's company) for leasing. I've seen http://www.recsolar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; guys at Costco and spoken to them briefly.

Some people have the attitude that they want to have the biggest array they can so that their net usage is near 0 or even negative. Others only want to keep themselves out of the higher electric tiers. At least that's what the REC Solar guys have recommended, to keep costs down.

My situation is goofy and my usage is pretty low. for now. When I mentioned to the REC Solar guy that I'm usually within Tier 1 and only go into Tier 2 in winter months (this is w/PG&E's joke baselines), he looked very surprised. Essentially he said to me that it wouldn't even make sense until I started getting into Tier 3 (which a BEV could push me into).

You need more than just panels. You also need an inverter + other parts.

I'm sure that are folks here that know WAY more than I do.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ELROY

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 am

surfingslovak wrote:
ELROY wrote:I am still wondering if there might be something wrong with my battery. It's just something I suspected from the day I picked up the car.
ImageELROY, the numbers you posted look perfectly reasonable. If you are still concerned about the battery, is there a chance that you could put a Gid meter to your LEAF? The recharge from VLBW to full should take somewhere between 6:45 and 7:00 hours. It's a hair over 7 hours from turtle to full on a new car, I believe.
Okay so the car took 6hrs, 7minutes to charge. Compared to 7hrs this is about 53 minutes short...or a little over 12%.
And compared to the EPA estimate...that would mean about 9 miles short of 73miles with their type of m/kWh usage.
Is barely over 6hrs charge time from VLBW-100% unusually low for a LEAF barely over 4 months old and under 4000 miles? Sounds like I really need a GID meter.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:21 am

Yes, it sounds a bit short. On the other hand, it fit neatly into the Super Off Peak Time :-) The battery could be legitimately down a bit in terms of capacity. Would you know what the date of manufacture was? It's explained in Tom Saxton's battery survey. I think that it would be helpful to know the number of kWh it took to recharge, going by the time alone will not be as accurate. The pre-paid power purchase agreement from Solar City could be a very reasonably priced option, just like cwerdna said. I know several people that went with this option. Self-installation is a possibility, the only challenge there could be permitting. It's probably worth asking your municipality and the local utility what the requirements were. There were several solar-reled threads here and a number of knowledgeable folks. It's a good place to ask related questions.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:25 pm

surfingslovak wrote:
ELROY wrote:Is the NAV screen time updated automatically through CARWINGS? I'm really curious as to whether the charging is going to start at what used to be 12am, even though it will technically suddenly be 1am.
None of the clocks will update automatically, unfortunately. Perhaps they changed that in the 2013, but it's a manual process in 2011 and 2012 LEAFs.
That's correct, but I have two caveats:
  • The time to the nearest minute is maintained automatically on the console clock. It's just that the GMT offset is not changed for Daylight Savings Time. I find the option rather confusing.
    Menu -> Settings -> Others -> Clock -> Daylight Savings Time On/Off
    My initial assumption was that it should be On if DST was used in your area, Off otherwise. WRONG! It needs to be On during the DST part of the year and Off during the standard part of the year. So, yes, you need to change it twice a year.
  • I don't know about your meter and service provider (is it LA DWP?), but up here in PG&E land most TOU meters are not smart meters, and apparently are stuck with the old DST schedule. So the time that your super off peak time starts and ends may shift at a different date from the current DST dates. You may want to leave your console time at DST Off until the utility time changes (probably 2AM March 31) if that applies to you.
Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”