Pipcecil
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:15 pm
Location: Midlothian, TX

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:06 am

Ok, I am still a little bit confused one the capacity warranty. I know its 5 years/60k. But what is the offical replacement threashold? "Below 3 bars" would mean the next day after you hit 3 bars you are technically below three bars...is it only when you hit 4 bars? or is it when the capacity drops below 70% (I am assuming they have to measure and test it to verify)?

Going off "its when you hit 4 bars" is easy because its a very visable indicator, but what is the "offical nissan threashold"?
DFW Public EV Station Locations
DFW Public Charging Access
Plug-In Vehicles Available in Texas
Total Locations: 254
Total EVSEs: 611
Level 1: 66 Level 2: 512 DC Fast: 33

User avatar
jhm614
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:38 am

Pipcecil wrote:Ok, I am still a little bit confused one the capacity warranty. I know its 5 years/60k. But what is the offical replacement threashold? "Below 3 bars" would mean the next day after you hit 3 bars you are technically below three bars...is it only when you hit 4 bars? or is it when the capacity drops below 70% (I am assuming they have to measure and test it to verify)?

Going off "its when you hit 4 bars" is easy because its a very visable indicator, but what is the "offical nissan threashold"?
I interpret it as the warranty kicks in when you lose bar 4. That also matches the roughly 70% mark. Here's the verbiage that was in the "Warranty Enhancement Letter" that I received from Nissan. (This is the same letter that announced the P3227 update).
Nissan wrote:EXPANDED WARRANTY COVERAGE

In addition to the existing lithium-ion battery coverage provided under the Nissan Electric Vehicle Limited Warranty for defects in materials or workmanship, the lithium-ion battery for your 2011 or 2012 Nissan LEAF is now also warranted against capacity loss below nine (9) bars (or approximately below 70 percent) as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for a period of 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This warranty covers any repairs needed to return battery capacity to a level of nine remaining bars on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge. If possible, the lithium-ion battery components will be repaired or replaced, and the original battery pack will be returned to the vehicle. If necessary, the lithium-ion battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured battery. Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage may not return the battery to an “as new” condition with all 12 battery capacity bars, but it will provide the vehicle with a capacity level of nine bars or more on the battery capacity level gauge.
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:38 am

I believe that the official process once you loose the fourth bar is for the dealer to hook up their Consult III+ and look at the capacity to see if it is 70% or below. That is the official trigger for the warranty. Technically, you would be a little below this mark by the time the fourth bar goes away (15% plus 3 X 6.25%)...
jhm614 wrote:I interpret it as the warranty kicks in when you lose bar 4. That also matches the roughly 70% mark.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
jhm614
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:12 am

RegGuheert wrote:I'm wondering if you will get a second new battery under the warranty, assuming you don't swap for a "high-temperature" one soon.
Based on my first battery's performance, I will hit the 60,000 mile limit way before I would come close to a 2nd battery. In fact, I might not lose my first bar on the new battery before I hit the limit. It will be close.
DaveinOlyWA wrote:too bad it isnt June instead of Sept...
As someone that has to live through that heat, I'm not sure I agree :lol:
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:20 am

jhm614 wrote:
RegGuheert wrote:I'm wondering if you will get a second new battery under the warranty, assuming you don't swap for a "high-temperature" one soon.
Based on my first battery's performance, I will hit the 60,000 mile limit way before I would come close to a 2nd battery. In fact, I might not lose my first bar on the new battery before I hit the limit. It will be close.
In that case, I'd be inclined to hold onto that "hot battery" Get-Out-of-Jail-Free-Card (if/when you get it) for as long as possible before cashing it in.
jhm614 wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:too bad it isnt June instead of Sept...
As someone that has to live through that heat, I'm not sure I agree :lol:
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Dave, how insensitive of you! ;)
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

phxsmiley
Forum Supporter
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7837
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Got the call today that my battery was in at the dealer - taking it in on Monday to get the battery replaced :)

Ironically, it was a day in which I had to do enough mid-day errands that I needed a QC. But if I had the new battery, I would have been fine.
Glacier Pearl SL-e, Delivered Aug 26th, 2011
Current Miles: 94,000 Miles (Aug 31st, 2017); Capacity Bars: 12/12;
EV Project; EVSE Upgrade Rev2

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10091
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:29 pm

jhm614 wrote:
Screenshot_2013-09-09-06-18-26.png

It's awesome to see the 57.9 miles to go on your four bar loser at 4.0 miles/kWh.

When we tested the first four-bar-loser last September, it went 59.3 miles in the same conditions.

September 15, 2012 LEA Range Autonomy Demonstration, Phoenix, ArizonaF

The dash display of Battery Capacities per Nissan documents are as follows:

53.75% - 59.99% - 7 segments of 12 illuminated
60.00% - 66.24% - 8 segments of 12 illuminated
66.25% - 72.49% - 9 segments of 12 illuminated
72.50% - 78.74% - 10 segments of 12 illuminated
78.75% - 84.99% - 11 segments of 12 illuminated
85.00% - 100.0% - 12 segments of 12 illuminated


Following is the performance of each car from September 15, 2012 in Phoenix, Arizona, almost one year ago!!!

Image

User avatar
jhm614
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 pm

phxsmiley wrote:Got the call today that my battery was in at the dealer - taking it in on Monday to get the battery replaced :)

Ironically, it was a day in which I had to do enough mid-day errands that I needed a QC. But if I had the new battery, I would have been fine.
'Grats on getting the call!
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

User avatar
jhm614
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Image
Interesting -- is 494 the Vin? If so, it popped out of the womb right after mine...
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: The Battery Replacement Thread

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm

jhm614 wrote: Interesting -- is 494 the Vin? If so, it popped out of the womb right after mine...
That was Scott's LEAF. His pending lease return was one of the reason's why Tony selected September 15 for the range test.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”