Tire Warning Light due to no data from TPMS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo3

Leaf Supporting Member
On the way to the dealer yesterday for yearly battery check the "Low tire pressure" warning light came on.

A quick reading of the DTC codes with Leaf Spy Pro gave two DTCs of C1710 and C1711 which indicate no data from RR and RL wheels.

However, by the time I made it to the dealer the fault had cleared and the warning light was off. So they could not do anything.

Today the warning light came back on as my wife was driving home but now the codes are C1708 and C1711 (FL & RL).

Leaf is three years old. Could the batteries in the TPMS modules be going bad? Of course this is happening just days before the 36 month warranty ends on Monday.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

The dealer says he can do nothing if the warning light is not on when I bring it in. I will drive it some more today and if it stays on take it in tomorrow and hope it does not auto clear.

Seems TPMS modules should have a longer warranty than three years.

mwalsh said:
These batteries are supposed to last anywhere from 5-12 years. Don't tell me that this is yet another LEAF battery that doesn't hold up well? :shock: It's getting to be something of a running joke, no?
Not just the batteries ... tires are not holding up. Our OEM tires were REALLY shot by 30K miles - and I babied them just to get 'em that far. Ran 'em near bald to 36K. But hey! Making Lemon aid outta lemons here ... since the OEM tires were horribly worn, we used the 'oportunity' to replace the batteries since the tires were off anyway ... so ... thank you Nissan for the 'quick-wear' tire feature. Apparently, it comes in handy!
:lol:

I have been seeing the same trouble codes for the rear tires for over a year. It has happened 3 times where the tire warning starts flashing, then goes steady and disappears in a few more minutes of driving. I think it's interference related as it's always been the rear tires and clears when I am on surface streets. When I'm in congested traffic I get the warnings but hey I'm just about always in congested traffic. Maybe someone who knows about the transmission details of these TPS can comment? My observations are based on readings of the LEAF SPY PRO when I finally caught the TPS in action a few weeks ago. Yeah my LEAF turns 3 today. I left the trouble codes there for Nissan to read.

My Leaf also turns 3 years today.

The problem I was having seems to be electrical interference. When it happened I was running a trace tool in a mode that is not normal. The problem has only happened in this mode. If it is logging or the logger is not installed then I have not seen the problem.

The fact that the problem moved from tire to tire points to it not being the TPMS battery. Not very likely that pairs of TPMS batteries would fail at the exact same time.

BUMP: My TPMS sensor light came on last night while driving on the freeway. However, unlike the last two times it came in (due to punctures), the light flashes for a few minutes, then stays lit, as mentioned by someone else.

Tire pressures this morning were at factory spec for the fronts, and a couple of PSI low for the rears. Stopped by a Firestone store about 1/2 hour ago who pumped them up and said they were OK. Driving about 5 miles on city streets at an average of 30 MPH since my visit has not reset the light.

As mentioned before, the battery could be low on one of the sensors, but my car is a month shy of two years old. Build date was August 2012. Tires are probably not going to last the remaining year for my lease but don't seem unevenly worn (I am good about rotating every 6 months....5k per rotation in my case).

Any other ideas what it could be? As long as I don't experience any other issues, I'm just going to put up with the warning light for another month until I can get the car to a dealer for its two year check up.

Update: the Nissan dealer believes that it is my dash cam system that is causing interference, and preventing the TPMS sensors at each wheel from communicating with the receiver in the car.

The cause is either the dash cam, or possibly the cigarette lighter to USB adapter that I am using.

Unless the dash cam has wireless stuff (bluetooth or wifi for offloading video?) I would suspect the cig lighter to USB first. It's probably a cheaper part to replace too! :)

It's just a run of the mill no-name dash cam: http://www.amazon.com/Recorder-Dashboard-Dashcam-Authentic-NT96650/dp/B00KZ0GKVS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421197800&sr=1-1&keywords=a118+dash+cam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had put in an Amazon Basics-branded dual port 2.1a USB adapter in at the same time so if necessary I could charge my iPad at the same time. Before that I was using a single port 2.1a adapter and I know that was not causing any issues.

Coming home from the dealership, I left the dash cam unplugged at the power port and the problem did not recur.

I think I may have found the problem: instead of using the factory cord, I rigged up my own cord using a spare USB A-mini B cable and a USB car adapter. I noticed that the factory cord has a ferrite core (that round bulge you see on many cables) but my own USB cable lacked this. The lack of a ferrite core may have been the cause of the interference.

I've only driven about 15 miles with this new setup, but so far the light hasn't come on.

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I just had this happen to me. Switched to a new charging adapter, and started to get the flashing TPMS light. At first I thought it might be road related as it always happened on the same 1/2 mile stretch of road on my way to work, but later realized it was likely time based. Approximately 10 minutes of driving and the light would start flashing. Some times it would go away immediately, other times it would turn solid until the I restarted the car.

After seeing this thread, I switched back to my old charger, and the problem didn't recur. Went back to the new charger, and the problem came back. After rearranging the cables going into the charger (the new one has 3 ports, 1 for my phone, 1 for my dash cam, and a 3rd for my wife's phone/mp3 player/whatever), I found an order that allows me to use the new power adapter without triggering the TPMS.

Warning light would not go out even though 38lbs @each tire. Removed air from all tires. 31Lb. 29Lb. 27Lb. And25 lbs. To set off a real warning situation. Drove 1 mile @ 35mph. Stopped. Off ignition. Replaced to 38lbs.all tire pressure. Started leaf and imediately after passing 16mph warnong light off. Easy peasy, japaneesy.

Yes, this reset TPMS procedure works. Especially if the TPMS warning light blinks when you initially start the car. Sometimes disconnecting 12v battery also resets the system.

Back