DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15052
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?

Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:42 pm

with my numbers bouncing all over the place, its hard to nail an exact figure and that issue is aggravated by the fact that my numbers started out higher than most here but when new....

I was seeing 67.36 ahr and 22.7 kwh available with 284 GIDs. you can read my signature to see the range of what I am seeing now. GID counts bounce around the most but still see 284 occasionally
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 13,705 mi, 93.41% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mottyski82
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 2:22 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 405969
Location: Hinesburg, VT

Re: Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?

Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:09 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:The thing about my car is it charged to 80% for more than a year, then started stopping at 79%. That still sounds to me like degradation.
My own two cents is that the charge capacity limit is decreased when ambient temperatures are colder. You and I have cars with similar build dates. In Vermont, on the other side of the pond, I have seen 80% charges in "Winter" frequently 79%. I agree with you that any degradation you and I might have seen is from that first summer in 2013 when temps were up around 90 nearly two weeks. I still think you and I are well ahead of the degradation model curve though...

Phatcat73
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:44 pm
Leaf Number: 401511
Location: Buffalo Grove, Il

Re: Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:36 pm

Very little degradation. See sig
2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD
2017 Chevy Bolt
Retired: 2013 & 2016 SV;
Soon to be retired: 2015 S;
Solar Array: [url]https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/ ... overview[l]

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15492
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:19 am

Mottyski82 wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:The thing about my car is it charged to 80% for more than a year, then started stopping at 79%. That still sounds to me like degradation.
My own two cents is that the charge capacity limit is decreased when ambient temperatures are colder. You and I have cars with similar build dates. In Vermont, on the other side of the pond, I have seen 80% charges in "Winter" frequently 79%. I agree with you that any degradation you and I might have seen is from that first summer in 2013 when temps were up around 90 nearly two weeks. I still think you and I are well ahead of the degradation model curve though...
Mine charges to 79% in all temps and seasons, now. The only time it charges to 80% is when the charge timer restarts (it's set to always be on) while the car is plugged in but charged at 8:00am and the car then 'tops off' to 80%.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:20 pm

From GID readings and Amp Hr readings, I'm seeing about 8.5% degradation after 17 months and 14,500 miles, including two summers, in coastal Southern California. Here is some data:

2013 LEAF SL placed in service June 15, 2013

Highest GID reading 284 and Amp Hr reading 65.33 at 100% charge on June 27, 2013

Most recent highest GID reading 259 and Amp Hr reading 59.76 at 100% charge on Nov 22, 2014

GID current percent of new car reading: 91.47%

Amp Hr current percent of new car reading: 91.2%

Interesting note:
The recent highest GID reading of 259 was only reached after four successive 100% overnight charges. The first two of these 100% charges gave GID readings of 252 and 251 GIDs. So if I hadn't continued the 100% charging, I would have used the 252 reading and reached the conclusion that I had lost 7 more GIDs than I really have lost.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15052
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:20 am

Boomer23 wrote:From GID readings and Amp Hr readings, I'm seeing about 8.5% degradation after 17 months and 14,500 miles, including two summers, in coastal Southern California. Here is some data:

2013 LEAF SL placed in service June 15, 2013

Highest GID reading 284 and Amp Hr reading 65.33 at 100% charge on June 27, 2013

Most recent highest GID reading 259 and Amp Hr reading 59.76 at 100% charge on Nov 22, 2014

GID current percent of new car reading: 91.47%

Amp Hr current percent of new car reading: 91.2%

Interesting note:
The recent highest GID reading of 259 was only reached after four successive 100% overnight charges. The first two of these 100% charges gave GID readings of 252 and 251 GIDs. So if I hadn't continued the 100% charging, I would have used the 252 reading and reached the conclusion that I had lost 7 more GIDs than I really have lost.
your losses seem extreme at least to me but it is 2 Summers. Would say your pack is better than previous or about the same?

As far as your rising battery stats; your LEAF seems to thrive on constant use and the higher numbers might just be better top end balancing

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/06 ... -leaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/09 ... stats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 13,705 mi, 93.41% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:20 am

First stats available for actual initial capacity and degradation rates for 2013 LEAFs:

Initial capacity (tested at ~500 miles) ranging from 23.6 to 24.6 kWh, averaging 24.2.

Degradation after ~4k miles and 3-4 months, January to May (apparently) in Phoenix AZ.

0.8 kWh (~3%) average actual capacity loss (from 0.6 to 1.0 kWh loss, 23.1 to 23.6 remaining) to 23.4 kWh average.

The fourth 2013 tested, which has only 20.8 capacity at its initial test after 6,258 miles is a mystery to me.

It has a much lower serial #, but age alone (unless driven hard during the previous Phoenix Summer?) would not seem to explain the much lower kWh.

Any one know the build date for 1N4AZ0CP0DC405045?

I guess the good news is that that 23.4 average kWh remaining for the other three, after considerable time and miles driven, is the same 23.4 kWh that the AVTA tests found average "new" capacity for its four car sample of 2012 LEAFs.

All links here:

AVTA capacity/range/efficiency tests of four 2013 LEAFs

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no condition is permanent

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:30 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Boomer23 wrote:From GID readings and Amp Hr readings, I'm seeing about 8.5% degradation after 17 months and 14,500 miles, including two summers, in coastal Southern California. Here is some data:

2013 LEAF SL placed in service June 15, 2013

Highest GID reading 284 and Amp Hr reading 65.33 at 100% charge on June 27, 2013

Most recent highest GID reading 259 and Amp Hr reading 59.76 at 100% charge on Nov 22, 2014

GID current percent of new car reading: 91.47%

Amp Hr current percent of new car reading: 91.2%

Interesting note:
The recent highest GID reading of 259 was only reached after four successive 100% overnight charges. The first two of these 100% charges gave GID readings of 252 and 251 GIDs. So if I hadn't continued the 100% charging, I would have used the 252 reading and reached the conclusion that I had lost 7 more GIDs than I really have lost.
your losses seem extreme at least to me but it is 2 Summers. Would say your pack is better than previous or about the same?

As far as your rising battery stats; your LEAF seems to thrive on constant use and the higher numbers might just be better top end balancing

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/06 ... -leaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/09 ... stats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My loss estimate might be high because I only saw that high GID reading of 284 once. Readings in the mid-270s were more common when the car was new. The real proof of the pudding will come when I do a driving range test to Turtle and measure the kWh required to recharge to 100%. I'll probably do that next Spring when temps reliably warm into the 70s early in the AM when freeway traffic is light.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Posts: 11140
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:57 pm

I haven't heard of anyone w/a '13 or '14 Leaf losing a capacity bar yet, I don't think. I quickly scanned http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real ... 2815.25.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and didn't notice any w/a manufacture date corresponding to MY '13 or '14 yet. I and many others have observed that the '13 batteries seem to be holding up better from a capacity POV.

If any '13 or '14 Leafs lose capacity bars, please post them here and add them to the wiki.

I figure it's better here than in the 721+ page thread at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

We'll eventually need another for the "lizard" batteries that came w/the '15.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
keydiver
Posts: 1080
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:04 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484
Location: Hobe Sound, Florida
Contact: Website

Re: Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:03 pm

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”