edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses

Fri May 22, 2015 9:04 am

mjblazin wrote:I am more impressed he is still on his original brake pads.
There's another thread on that, but I wouldn't be surprised if many LEAFs make it to 200k miles, on their OE pads.

Looks like your LBC reports are more-or-less typical for those of a 2011-12 MY LEAF.

What is your LEAF's build date?

Any history of where it was from, or when it lost the 12th bar?

Have you ever checked its recharge capacity in kWh from a low SOC point (LBW, VLBW, or turtle) to "100%"?
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses

Wed May 27, 2015 10:49 am

Note to moderators.

Any reason not to consolidate these threads (and others)?

Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no condition is permanent

RLewisCA
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2013
Location: SoCal

Re: Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses

Wed May 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Well, I have a 2013 SL that I leased at the end of March 2013, so 2 summers. I live in San Dimas, CA, so somewhat hot here in the summer, but nothing like Phoenix. I'm now just shy of 24,000 miles, and just lost my first capacity bar yesterday.

For the first 20 months or so, I pretty much charged to 80% for my commute (48 miles round trip), and to 100% probably a couple times a week when I needed additional range. The car is garaged when at home, but did have to sit outside on blacktop at my office in Anaheim on the days I was in the office (average 2-3 days/week). I have a lifetime average of 4.4 mi./Kwh.

When I first took a LeafSpy reading in June 2014 (about 15 months after leasing) with 14,350 miles, I had a SOH of 97%. Now, less than 10,000 miles and 11 months later, I have a SOH of 84%. So, it held up very well for the first year plus, then a pretty steady decline over the course of the last 11 months. That second summer really had a significant effect.

Here's my original screenshot from June of last year:

Image

And here is a link to the new one (notice no additional QC's):

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy

From a 100% charge, I can still get roughly 75 miles out of the battery until VLBW if I'm very careful, so not too bad. But definitely a noticeable drop in range from new. I'm a bit concerned about what's going to happen throughout and after this coming summer. I guess I'll see.

I really do enjoy driving electric, but I'm thinking that the Leaf just went about it the wrong way with no thermal control system on the battery. I see a lot of Volt owners with 2011's still getting 50 miles/charge after four years - probably a combination of a good thermal management system, and the overall percentage of capacity that is available for driving in a Volt. At any rate, with 50 'rated' miles in the 2016 Volt (and probably closer to 60 miles actual), I'm think that the 2016 Volt might be my next car when I turn in my Leaf next March. With the quick capacity degradation and the used values of Leafs, I'm just glad I leased and didn't buy this time around.
2013 Leaf SL - Metallic Slate
EVSE Upgrade (20A)

dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses

Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 pm

RLewisCA wrote:Well, I have a 2013 SL that I leased at the end of March 2013, so 2 summers. I live in San Dimas, CA, so somewhat hot here in the summer, but nothing like Phoenix. I'm now just shy of 24,000 miles, and just lost my first capacity bar yesterday.

For the first 20 months or so, I pretty much charged to 80% for my commute (48 miles round trip), and to 100% probably a couple times a week when I needed additional range. The car is garaged when at home, but did have to sit outside on blacktop at my office in Anaheim on the days I was in the office (average 2-3 days/week). I have a lifetime average of 4.4 mi./Kwh.

When I first took a LeafSpy reading in June 2014 (about 15 months after leasing) with 14,350 miles, I had a SOH of 97%. Now, less than 10,000 miles and 11 months later, I have a SOH of 84%. So, it held up very well for the first year plus, then a pretty steady decline over the course of the last 11 months. That second summer really had a significant effect.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy
Thanks for the data, can you tell me the manufacturing date?
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6246
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses

Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

edatoakrun wrote:Note to moderators.

Any reason not to consolidate these threads (and others)?

Any degradation statistics on 2013 yet?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good call, merged these two together.

RLewisCA
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2013
Location: SoCal

Re: Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses

Thu May 28, 2015 6:28 am

dhanson865 wrote: Thanks for the data, can you tell me the manufacturing date?
How would I go about finding that?
2013 Leaf SL - Metallic Slate
EVSE Upgrade (20A)

dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses

Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 am

RLewisCA wrote:
dhanson865 wrote: Thanks for the data, can you tell me the manufacturing date?
How would I go about finding that?
Open the drivers door and look for a sticker or metal plate somewhere near the center pillar. It should say the country of manufacture and the date of manufacture in addition to several other details about the car.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

RLewisCA
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2013
Location: SoCal

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Thu May 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks for the info. It was manufactured 01/13.
2013 Leaf SL - Metallic Slate
EVSE Upgrade (20A)

Valdemar
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Fri May 29, 2015 2:18 pm

RLewisCA wrote:Thanks for the info. It was manufactured 01/13.
This may be better than my 2011 in similar climate but not by much. My first bar went after 1.5 summers (September 2011 to May 2013) and 33,000 miles.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Fri May 29, 2015 2:58 pm

There was some conjecture that the 2013 battery was better... This would seem to put that to rest!
Valdemar wrote:This may be better than my 2011 in similar climate but not by much. My first bar went after 1.5 summers (September 2011 to May 2013) and 33,000 miles.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”