evggarage

Re: Lock/Unlock switches have no backlight

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:31 am

Hi all,

Discovered the same in my Leaf 2015 (SV). My friend's Leaf (SL) has the same issue. Decided to add the small LEDs myself and made a video of this process https://youtu.be/JOzB6senYQM

Hope this will be helpful to someone who decides to add the small LEDs themselves. Be very careful in this process. Good luck!

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:01 am

evggarage wrote:Hi all,

Discovered the same in my Leaf 2015 (SV). My friend's Leaf (SL) has the same issue. Decided to add the small LEDs myself and made a video of this process

Hope this will be helpful to someone who decides to add the small LEDs themselves. Be very careful in this process. Good luck!
Nice result!
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:50 am

I used an Altima switch I bought off ebay as shown in this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... lit=altima
It works perfectly and is easy/peasy to install. Just pop the old switch out, unplug the connectors, plug the connectors into the new switch and pop it in. It took me about 5-10 minutes the first time since I was being very careful not to scratch anything. I think I could do another one in 60 seconds without trouble now.

If you go this route, the easy way to remove the old switch out is to put a blunt lever between the switch and the door panel next to the interior of the car. I used a plastic ruler and slipped it between the switch and panel and then just levered the switch out. It's much easier to get leverage on it here than trying to wedge something between the very tight spaces on the other sides. The plastic tabs that hold the switch in place release easily and the switch just pops out after that.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Discovered the same in my Leaf 2015 (SV). My friend's Leaf (SL) has the same issue. Decided to add the small LEDs myself and made a video of this process

Nice job. I'm not good enough at soldering to get those SMDs down on the board without buggering it up, particularity the LED. What physical size is the resistor being used there?
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:40 pm

goldbrick wrote:I used an Altima switch I bought off ebay as shown in this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... lit=altima
It works perfectly and is easy/peasy to install. Just pop the old switch out, unplug the connectors, plug the connectors into the new switch and pop it in. It took me about 5-10 minutes the first time since I was being very careful not to scratch anything. I think I could do another one in 60 seconds without trouble now.
Good find, I will upgrade my SV switches soon with Altima's ones on both sides, all project cost $34. Easy DIY - just swap switches and enjoy.

Just finished swap on both sides.

Note: after switch replacement you will need to recalibrate Auto-UP window function (due to plug disconnect, even if you re-connected the original switch back). To recalibrate: open the window and then close it by holding switch in up most position until windows is fully closed and then continue holding it for 3 more seconds. Now, you are good to go.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO traded for 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:13 pm

FYI... found out (the hard way) today that in the 2011 LEAF the non-lit switches are also not translucent. My somewhat educated guess is that the switches as pictured in your video probably came in with the 2013 model year, so I think the same would probably hold true for the 2012.

Also, the earlier assembly has a completely different mechanism for activating the door locks, so the later door lock switch will not transfer over.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses