You've been misinformed about desulfation due to normal market competition. It is not really possible to revive thick sulfation as no current will flow through it. It is only possible to do with lighly or mildly sulfated battery with high charging voltage and higher temperatures. Any charger that charges the battery is providing somewhat raised voltage. Therefore any charger desulfates. Going above 14.4V speeds the process but also hurts the battery in other ways.Bought a CTEK charger as a result of that understanding, as it runs a pulse cycle to reduce sulfating. Seems to work; but time will tell.
LeftieBiker, before fixing something a fault should not only be identified but also a solution should be found that not only fixes this specific problem but also avoids making another. As we can clearly see, many have left their Leaf for extended periods with positive outcomes. These few positive experiences already determine, that problem is not occurring on every Leaf.
Nubo - we have already concluded, that if battery has been somehow discharged, as soon as Leaf has been turned on (or is connected to grid) it will rapidly charge 12V battery. If harm is already done (discharged for many days) then it only charges as much as battery absorbs. It is most likely true that Leaf is not programmed to deal with damaged batteries and doesn't even tell the user to do something with that. But it is Nissan and not BMW. Totally different companies with different values.
powersurge - voltage is only one indicator and we can't even agree on that. This voltage is the biggest disagreement of them all. Some of us think that 12.5V is too low for lead acid battery. And those who disagree also disagree to justify their conception.
It is in human nature to accept the first way of notion, not the second or third. I bet JimSouCal understands and agrees with that.