Data not showing up in Carwings (mostly due to Bluetooth!)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you get notifications from CarWings on your cell ? Is something not properly setup (nickname) ? Try changing your profile's password to something else on Nissan Owner's Portal (might "unclog" a pipe).

Not just you. I have had the car since Thursday and no data. I thought I may have to manually tell car to upload data but I haven't seen how.

Otherwise, I have been using the web and iPhone app quite a bit. It works fine. I get some notifications and can query car.

I did ask for email and text on charge complete and have not received those. I do get emails when status is updated.

I also would like the app to have options to shut off charging. This would allow me to manage things a bit more manually.

I called on Friday morning. Everything works except for my data on the web app (State of charge, remote HVAC, etc). Well, I haven't tried the phone app yet, but I have an Android and not an iPhone. I get the proper emails and my data gets uploaded to the Carwings pages like energy efficiency, miles, trees, etc.

Nissan called me back later on Friday and said they would have their Carwings expert call me back. I can't remember if she said Monday or Tuesday, but it should be soon.

I did have to fiddle with the web and car settings to get the emails and data to flow from the car. As I recall, I think the menu choices are shut off. And, you have to "opt in" for the international rankings on the Carwings website...

mwalsh said:
EVNation said:
I did ask for email and text on charge complete and have not received those. I do get emails when status is updated.

I get those OK. I may call the Nissan help line on the Carwings thing today.

Man, it annoys me when software and hardware doesn't work properly. :x

As a software developer, I am a bit more tolerant... :) Particularly on a new and complicated platform. It is just like with the chargers and nav system, we early adopters are a bit the product testers for the nationwide rollout. I would rather it be me, who understands the issues, have the problems than someone brand new to the whole EV thing.

Have you found any good place to send CarWings or App feedback? I have been just using the owner's portal message system through Contact Nissan.

Well I found out why there is no data....Carwings in my car is not fully working. Tried to connect to the data center from a couple of places today (home, work, and while on the move) with no luck. :(

carwings1.jpg

carwings2.jpg

Not sure if it is the same thing, but messages similiar to that in the setup process caused Tom the regional Nissan guy to say that we needed a software update. After they did that, it went through the setup process fine.

I'm not near my car now, but what version of Carwings do you have on the car?

A bit weird....I was just out at my car again - I thought I might blow out my user ID and password and re-enter them. So I figured I might as well just try what was already entered one more time as it was, just to see. And what do you know....it worked! I got a message back that said something like "activating account" (it went by too quickly to take a photo) and Carwings now works.

Maybe Nissan is checking on us here to see if we're having any problems?

garygid said:
How does one see the CARWINGS firmware version number in the car?

It's in the service manual. ;) Section AV chapter page 45

The AV panel has a diagnosis mode.
- power switch on
- audio system off
- Press MAP three times, POWER switch two times, and MAP switch once

This will activate diagnosis mode and give two options - Self Diagnosis and Confirmation/Adjustment

Be careful here - you can adjust steering angle, reset the gyroscope used for nav, and tweak other settings.

Check the clock - the date/time has to be set correctly in the AV system for the charge timers to work. (System Diagnostic menu)
One of the options is the version number of the AV software. Not explicitly CarWings, but this is where CarWings 'lives' so maybe close enough? The manual says firmware can be updated via SD card.

I think I know what it is (for me at least)....Carwings seems to work when I don't have my GSM (T-Mobile) cell phone in the car with me, but not when I do.

Now, the car is paired to the phone via Bluetooth, and I remember at the dealer we paired the phone AFTER we setup Carwings. So I guess the next thing I should do is try deleting my phone and add it back.

Now I KNOW what my problem is. It's not my phone....it's the Bluetooth connectivity - when my phone is paired to the car Carwings can't properly connect.

I'm going to try my wife's phone when I get home tonight and see if it's Bluetooth, period, or the Bluetooth in this particular phone. If is the phone....that's great.....I've been wanting a new phone for a while.

Anyone else have this problem? Or anyone else with a GSM phone (preferably quad-band) NOT have this problem (so I know which phone I can safely buy)?

There is data in Carwings for my driving on Sunday and I did not have my phone paired via Bluetooth. Starting Monday I paired my phone to use it for calls and audio streaming (using Slacker on my Android phone). I will have to see if it still uploads. Let me know what you find out as I may or may not see the same thing.

Skywagon said:
There is data in Carwings for my driving on Sunday and I did not have my phone paired via Bluetooth. Starting Monday I paired my phone to use it for calls and audio streaming (using Slacker on my Android phone). I will have to see if it still uploads. Let me know what you find out as I may or may not see the same thing.

The phone aside, is there anything you might be aware of that I might be missing, or the dealer might have missed, in setting up my car to transmit the data? Or is it pretty much an automatic deal?

Looks like Nissan is on the case...I just sent them an email and somebody has just refreshed the status of my car (not me). Unfortunately, that won't have shown them any indication of the problem because the phone is in my office with me right now, not in the car.

I was not showing up on CarWings or on the rankings. I got in the car yesterday and went through every setting on Carwings. I found one that said something like this "send info to center at - each start up, - every 2 hours, - every 6 hours" or something close to that. I am not near my car to go look. I checked off the "at startup" and now I am getting the charging emails and texts, the finished charging, the climate control on etc. I am also in the rankings now as GnGsLEAF.
I don;t know why it was not set that way to begin with but it worked. Glen

Back