User avatar
TRONZ
Posts: 2240
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202
Location: Denver, CO

Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:50 pm

I saw this on the LeafOwners Group Facebook page and thought it worth sharing. The comment read "This is what happens when its dry". I ordered the Splash Guards from Fontana today and hope to have them installed before taking delivery. Anyone else getting their new LEAFs peppered by gravel???

Image
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12465
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Is the rear wheel splash guard just behind the wheel, or also something in front of the wheel?

In front and back of the front wheel also?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

User avatar
Rokeby
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:03 am
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: Ballamer, Merlin

Re: Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:36 pm

To my eye/mind there is a disconnect between the pictured paint damage
and the installation of mud/spray guards. I don't see where wet or dry
anything is applicable.

Mud/spray guards mount at the after end of a wheel well opening. Their
intended purpose -- not always realized in the real world -- is to prevent
spray and sand/gravel from being thrown up by the wheel, here the front
wheel, against the rocker panel, the long piece under the doors, and possibly
a flare in the rear body panel at the rear wheel well.

The damage, hopefully only to the paint, is forward of the wheel.
It can not have come from an absence of mud/spray guards.
I see two possibilities:
* a hit/scrape in a parking lot, etc.
* a major paint system malfunction

In either case, this kind of damage to an only-days-car would most likely have
caused a near physical pain to the owner...
and an intent to commit murder. :oops:

Maybe they are talking about mud/spray on all the other cars???

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9644
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 pm

garygid wrote:Is the rear wheel splash guard just behind the wheel, or also something in front of the wheel?

In front and back of the front wheel also?
The car has some stuff bolted to it in front of the wheels as stock...I just noticed it today. Be right back with photos.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

smkettner
Posts: 7380
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 pm

Is that really chipped paint? Or is it tar - mud tossed up?

Does the car in question have the protection package?
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Wow, makes me glad I'm getting the splash guards!
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9644
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Rokeby wrote:To my eye/mind there is a disconnect between the pictured paint damage
and the installation of mud/spray guards. I don't see where wet or dry
anything is applicable.

Mud/spray guards mount at the after end of a wheel well opening. Their
intended purpose -- not always realized in the real world -- is to prevent
spray and sand/gravel from being thrown up by the wheel, here the front
wheel, against the rocker panel, the long piece under the doors, and possibly
a flare in the rear body panel at the rear wheel well.

The damage, hopefully only to the paint, is forward of the wheel.
It can not have come from an absence of mud/spray guards.
Dude, you is lookin' at the photo wrong.....that is the rear of the car.

Here are the stock flaps, in front of each wheel. Big one on the fronts. Tiny one on the rears. Don't know what purpose they serve other than maybe helping to stop your tires picking up rocks thrown up by other vehicles? :?:

Image
Image
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

User avatar
Rokeby
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:03 am
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: Ballamer, Merlin

Re: Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:50 pm

mwalsh wrote:
Dude, you is lookin' at the photo wrong.....that is the rear of the car.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Guess that comes from never having seen a LEAF in real life ...
you know, Tier 2, Nissan Tour not due 'til March, etc.

OK -- deep breath, count to 10 --

I'm still suspicious. Damage is too high and outside, and in too irregular a
dispersion to be clearly from a lack of mud splash guards.

I'm sticking with parking lot rash or OEM paint issues...
and add backing into something... it's the rear of the car, right?
Last edited by Rokeby on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9644
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Rokeby wrote:I'm sticking with parking lot rash or OEM paint issues...
and add backing into something... it's the rear of the car, right?
I gots me some mud there, but I'm not going anyplace near gravel!
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10642
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Damage without Splash Guards - Pic

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:00 pm

I believe they are aerodynamic aids to reduce the drag of the tires. Which makes me wonder how much drag the mud flaps add...
mwalsh wrote:
Here are the stock flaps, in front of each wheel. Big one on the fronts. Tiny one on the rears. Don't know what purpose they serve other than maybe helping to stop your tires picking up rocks thrown up by other vehicles
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”