jjeff
Posts: 2171
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:38 am

civicwithacord wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:04 am
My 2013 is separating too, and not from pulling too often; just normal wear. Agree with your solution, but haven’t tried yet. Stay tuned.
It's really sad IMO that Nissan figures simple double-faced tape(the thin clear 3M type) is good enough to hold the outer trim piece of the door handle to the actual door handle :roll: I mean I suppose it's probably good enough to make it past the 3 year warranty but really, double-faced tape :x
On the bright side, my repair using glue(epoxy not JB Weld as I didn't have any) has been working fine for coming up on 1 year and I expect it to last many years more.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

civicwithacord
Forum Supporter
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:07 am
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 406358

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:54 am

This shows my repair: https://youtu.be/pDJM15f2HGw
2013 Brilliant Silver SV
Charged by 3kW SolarWorld PV panels
My best science lessons are the ones I live...

jjeff
Posts: 2171
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:40 pm

jjeff wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:38 am
civicwithacord wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:04 am
My 2013 is separating too, and not from pulling too often; just normal wear. Agree with your solution, but haven’t tried yet. Stay tuned.
It's really sad IMO that Nissan figures simple double-faced tape(the thin clear 3M type) is good enough to hold the outer trim piece of the door handle to the actual door handle :roll: I mean I suppose it's probably good enough to make it past the 3 year warranty but really, double-faced tape :x
On the bright side, my repair using glue(epoxy not JB Weld as I didn't have any) has been working fine for coming up on 1 year and I expect it to last many years more.
Well only 6 months past this post and my "epoxy" repair has failed, the chrome is now pulling out past the handle :x
F'ing Nissan! guess I should purchase some "JB Weld"
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

powersurge
Posts: 1743
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 am

I hope the JB WELD holds.. I think that it is very hard when it dries. I don't know that over time it may separate from the smooth plastic parts.

I also have this problem, and have been keeping the handle on with a tight zip tie until I decide what to do.

I think I will use a glue that I have used with good results for keeping my door edge trim on all doors and trunk lids..

It is called "Shoe Goo", which is sold at ACE hardware for gluing on shoe and sneaker soles that separate.

It is very sticky and holds well. I think I will try this on my car...

jjeff
Posts: 2171
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:08 am

powersurge wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 am
I hope the JB WELD holds.. I think that it is very hard when it dries. I don't know that over time it may separate from the smooth plastic parts.

I also have this problem, and have been keeping the handle on with a tight zip tie until I decide what to do.

I think I will use a glue that I have used with good results for keeping my door edge trim on all doors and trunk lids..

It is called "Shoe Goo", which is sold at ACE hardware for gluing on shoe and sneaker soles that separate.

It is very sticky and holds well. I think I will try this on my car...
I have "Shoe Goo" also and it works wonders for shoes, hadn't thought to use it on my door handle.....maybe worth a try. If you do it, let us know how it went.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5799
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:08 am

powersurge wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 am
I hope the JB WELD holds.. I think that it is very hard when it dries. I don't know that over time it may separate from the smooth plastic parts.

I also have this problem, and have been keeping the handle on with a tight zip tie until I decide what to do.

I think I will use a glue that I have used with good results for keeping my door edge trim on all doors and trunk lids..

It is called "Shoe Goo", which is sold at ACE hardware for gluing on shoe and sneaker soles that separate.

It is very sticky and holds well. I think I will try this on my car...
Shoe Goo is good stuff, but smells like a rotting corpse for days. Good thing this is on the OUTSIDE of the car!
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15731
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:42 am

I'm thinking that the zip tie may be the most long-lasting repair. You could try matching the color to the car.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
jlv
Moderator
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Nubo wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:08 am
Shoe Goo is good stuff, but smells like a rotting corpse for days. Good thing this is on the OUTSIDE of the car!
In my experience, the smell goes away in well under an hour. I've use the stuff on lots of things, including the handle of our toaster oven and the round knob/handle on a Revere Ware pop lid (Shoe Goo is remarkably heat tolerant). The smell was never present after the stuff set.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 45K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 23K mi)
ICE free since '18
100K+ 100% BEV miles since '14

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5799
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:42 pm

jlv wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:14 pm
Nubo wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:08 am
Shoe Goo is good stuff, but smells like a rotting corpse for days. Good thing this is on the OUTSIDE of the car!
In my experience, the smell goes away in well under an hour. I've use the stuff on lots of things, including the handle of our toaster oven and the round knob/handle on a Revere Ware pop lid (Shoe Goo is remarkably heat tolerant). The smell was never present after the stuff set.
Maybe I'm just very sensitive to that stinkflower smell. It is very useful stuff though.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

crimsona
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:36 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2020

Re: Driver Door Handle Problem

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:40 pm

So I've been having this problem on my driver's door. Used some double sided tape (because my chrome trim can peel out way further), and then stuck it back together

Still had the problem, but when I looked at the gap, my tape wasn't there, (black piece was still stuck to the chrome trim), so I think it's actually 3 pieces held together with some weak double sided tape.

I added another piece of double sided tape between the black piece and the bottom, and now the whole contraption is a little bit too thick. Whoops.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”