Baltneu
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 313633

Re: 2018 Nissan Leaf does not charge at Eaton POW-R-STATION

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:09 pm

ramsgoms wrote:Free chargers at work was the main driver for my decision to buy 2019 Leaf. All of the chargers are Eaton and none are working. Took them to dealer and they tried it on their L2 chargers (non-Eaton) and refused that there is nothing wrong with the car... even after I told them I see at least 8 Leafs (older models) at my work that are charging fine. They told me to contact Eaton!!
I am stuck now. Did I get a lemon? :cry:
I am sorry that your car is not charging on the Eaton chargers. My 2018 SL seems to do OK on them.
Somehow I remember some time ago setting the charging speed in my car to 6.6KWH, I seem to remember their were some choices, is it possible yours is not set up to take that delivery speed/
2018 Gun Metallic Gray, SL, Technology Package, etc.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Baltneu wrote:
ramsgoms wrote:Free chargers at work was the main driver for my decision to buy 2019 Leaf. All of the chargers are Eaton and none are working. Took them to dealer and they tried it on their L2 chargers (non-Eaton) and refused that there is nothing wrong with the car... even after I told them I see at least 8 Leafs (older models) at my work that are charging fine. They told me to contact Eaton!!
I am sorry that your car is not charging on the Eaton chargers. My 2018 SL seems to do OK on them.
Somehow I remember some time ago setting the charging speed in my car to 6.6KWH, I seem to remember their were some choices, is it possible yours is not set up to take that delivery speed/
there is no way to adjust the level 2 charging speed. What you saw was probably the estimated time to charge at various speeds. Nissan in its infinitely questionable wisdom, also added the now non existent 3.8 KW charging time.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Baltneu wrote:
Charging rate is measured in kW, not "KWH".

It would be bizarre if Nissan offered UI to adjust charging speeds. Most non-Teslas EVs and PHEVs don't give a choice. Doing so can only cause confusion and can even encourage bad wiring practices.

As for Dave's comment about 3.8 kW, perhaps it vestigial code for other regions? Or, maybe it's meant for 16 amp EVSEs?

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

xhaltsalute
Delivery Date: 18 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 314564

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Baltneu wrote:
xhaltsalute wrote:
Not exactly a lemon. If you read through this thread you'll see that there's an incompatibility issue with Eaton EVSEs and 2018 and newer Leafs. The main problem seems to be that the Eaton EVSEs are no longer reveiving software updates because the manufacturer is no longer in the EVSE business. Basically, the car and the EVSE aren't communicating well sometimes because software needs to be updated in the EVSE.
Not sure about that. Posted earlier that my 2018 does not have any problem with the 3 Eaton chargers at my local train station so maybe some 2018's not working with Eaton charging stations.
Great that your n=1 experience is working out for you. Seems to me that the fact this thread and others, not to mention other sources on the web, points to incompatibility issues between 2018 and newer Leafs and Eaton charging stations. Incompatibility was apparently due to software changes Nissan made in 2018 in anticipation of new protocols among EVSE manufacturers and since Eaton EVSEs are no longer getting software upgrades, it's a problem. Eatons work with my 2018 sometimes but not always. I have no problems with any other brand of EVSE and I've used several. I suppose you could argue that it *is* the car since Nissan did apparently make software changes, but the actual problem is old, almost obsolete EVSEs. At least that's my read of the situation.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:45 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Baltneu wrote:
Charging rate is measured in kW, not "KWH".

It would be bizarre if Nissan offered UI to adjust charging speeds. Most non-Teslas EVs and PHEVs don't give a choice. Doing so can only cause confusion and can even encourage bad wiring practices.

As for Dave's comment about 3.8 kW, perhaps it vestigial code for other regions? Or, maybe it's meant for 16 amp EVSEs?
Bolt has charge rate options but only on Level 1 and that is due to the rarity of a dedicated circuit or when you are plugging at a friends and you aren't sure, you can dial the 120 volt charging to 8 amps instead of the standard 12
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:39 pm

^^^
Thanks for that. I should've qualified that with 208/240 volt charging.

The BMW i3 does and boy, can that cause confusion and discussion of bad wiring practices rather than doing things right w/the EVSE, wiring, breaker, etc.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cobbr66
Delivery Date: 28 Aug 2019
Leaf Number: 16664

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:04 am

2019 LEAF SL PLUS WILL NOT CHARGE AT ALL STATIONS...Bought this $42K car to support the sustainable technology theme at my college. Much to my surprise, the EV chargers (Eaton) available did not charge my 2019 Leaf...thus no free charging at my work...no available software upgrades from Eaton (out of the EV business). My dealer did not know this information either...supposedly. Nissan needs to explore this in more detail and let potential buyers know that it will not charge at every Level 2 charging station. I suppose I am partly to blame for not exploring this unnecessary phenomenon. When someone buys a 110 v toaster at Walmart and gets it home only to find that it does not work on their 110 v kitchen receptacle...I guess that's the buyers fault. At least at Walmart, they allow returns... Just sayin'...
Last edited by cobbr66 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baltneu
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 313633

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:12 am

cobbr66 wrote:
2019 LEAF SL PLUS WILL NOT CHARGE AT ALL STATIONS...Bought this $42K car to support the sustainable technology theme at my college. Much to my surprise, the EV chargers (Eaton) available did not charge my 2019 Leaf...thus no free charging at my work...no available software upgrades from Eaton (out of the EV business). My dealer did not know this information either...supposedly. Nissan needs to explore this in more detail and let potential buyers know that it will not charge at every Level 2 charging station. I suppose I am partly to blame for not exploring this unnecessary phenomenon. When someone buys a 110 v toaster at Walmart and get it home only to find that it does not work on your 110 v kitchen receptacle...I guess that's the buyers fault. Just sayin'...
I am sorry for your problem. This problem about Eaton chargers not charging all EV cars is known. I see you are new to this forum and had you seen this thread in the past, it started March 2018. I have a 2018 SL and my car does charge on an Eaton charger at my local train station.
However, 1 of the 3 chargers is broken, and has been out of service for at least a month (Tarrytown, NY train station), so I am not holding my breath it will be fixed anytime soon or even at all.
2018 Gun Metallic Gray, SL, Technology Package, etc.

xhaltsalute
Delivery Date: 18 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 314564

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:52 am

cobbr66 wrote:
2019 LEAF SL PLUS WILL NOT CHARGE AT ALL STATIONS...Bought this $42K car to support the sustainable technology theme at my college. Much to my surprise, the EV chargers (Eaton) available did not charge my 2019 Leaf...thus no free charging at my work...no available software upgrades from Eaton (out of the EV business). My dealer did not know this information either...supposedly. Nissan needs to explore this in more detail and let potential buyers know that it will not charge at every Level 2 charging station. I suppose I am partly to blame for not exploring this unnecessary phenomenon. When someone buys a 110 v toaster at Walmart and get it home only to find that it does not work on your 110 v kitchen receptacle...I guess that's the buyers fault. Just sayin'...
I feel your pain - I was in the same boat a year ago. A new EV driver doesn't understand all of the ins-and-outs of this stuff - a Level 2 charger should be a Level 2 charger! I would suggest trying to lobby your college to change out the EVSEs to newer units. There are grants out there for institutions/businesses to do this sort of thing. I successfully convinced the sustainability guy at my work that this is a problem for anyone driving a 2018 and newer Leaf and he was recently successful in obtaining grant funding to upgrade the EVSEs to a brand that is maintained (Clipper Creek) and compatible with all current EVs. The changeout will happen in the next couple of months.

That said, I am able to get my 2018 Leaf charging on some Eaton EVSEs but not others. And I almost always have to do a reset or even a hard-reset to get the car and the EVSE talking nicely to each other. Knowing this, I make sure that I don't have to rely on an Eaton EVSE to get me where I need to go.

Good luck!

Flyct
Delivery Date: 02 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 307113

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Thankfully my home installed Eaton EVSE had no problem charging my 2015 Leaf, my 2018 Leaf or my current 2019 Leaf Plus.

2019 Leaf SL Plus w/All Options
2015 Lexus RX450h Hybrid SUV
2019 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate Crew Cab Short Bed Diesel
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS 5th Wheel RV
2017 Kawasaki FXT-Pro LE Side by Side
Blissfully Retired and loving it!

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”