corrisi
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2019

Re: Faint gear like noise at low speeds.

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:19 pm

I opened a new forum thread to open the discussion to more people and get their opinion.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29982

Thanks for all support in this thread. Feel free to participate in the new topic.

Best regards.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Could be a reduction gear problem???

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:02 pm

It's possible as the bearings will be loaded when under acceleration. First thing I would check is whether or not there is sufficient lubricant. This is done by removing the filler plug and checking with a finger. Likewise, check the axle joints to make sure the rubber boots are intact. Any cracks or damage to the rubber boots can allow the internal grease to become contaminated. If a bearing is damaged it's probably a labor-intensive project of working your way in from the wheel and checking for rough or loose bearings. Get a copy of the service manual.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Why do you think this needs a new topic? I'm inclined to just merge that one with this.

EDIT: Done. This was and is the appropriate topic for this issue.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

corrisi

Re: Could be a reduction gear problem???

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:20 am

Nubo wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:02 pm
It's possible as the bearings will be loaded when under acceleration. First thing I would check is whether or not there is sufficient lubricant. This is done by removing the filler plug and checking with a finger. Likewise, check the axle joints to make sure the rubber boots are intact. Any cracks or damage to the rubber boots can allow the internal grease to become contaminated. If a bearing is damaged it's probably a labor-intensive project of working your way in from the wheel and checking for rough or loose bearings. Get a copy of the service manual.
Hi.
I've been to the Nissan shop dealer twice and they are unable to detect the source of the problem.
In the first attempt to solve the problem the Nissan Shop dealer diagnosed a problem in rear wheel bearings and i replaced both.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u1ANL8wGsig5PfMz8

Continuing with the problem a 2 weeks ago I anticipated the 4 year maintenance to try solve this problem, but sadly they dont detect the source of it. I was informed that they observed the axles, the lubrication, etc. and apparently all is fine. The rubber boots are also intact.
They informed me, however, that the gear oil is a bit dark (see link bellow ) and recommended replaced it, not guaranteeing that this would solve the problem. The specific reference of gear oil are out of stock and I am waiting they arrive.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xWs1NKRPEdfHYMeQA

If everything remains the same after replacing the gear oil, they are told that the next step is to remove the gear out to check for any problems or defects.
Since the diagnosis is not easy and the research I have done in Web indicate that similar symptoms may be reduction gear I am a little worried about the situation.
On the other hand it can be something more simple like joint kit of the transmission, I dont know!?
Because of that, and before going to Nissan Shop dealer for the third time, I bought the camera to try my own way to get more information to help them make a correct diagnosis.
Any aditional information obtained in this thread Will be precious for me.

Best regards.

Nubo

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:23 am

You might try several runs with that camera, moving it in steps from the wheel area to the gearbox area, and then compare the recordings to see where the noise seems loudest. Might help locate a bit better.

corrisi

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:38 am

Nubo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:23 am
You might try several runs with that camera, moving it in steps from the wheel area to the gearbox area, and then compare the recordings to see where the noise seems loudest. Might help locate a bit better.
Thanks Nubo. As soon as possible I Will do more vídeos acording your sugestion. After I post the results. Best regards.

corrisi

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi people!

After a long process to dignosis the problem of the noise my Leaf NISSAN came to the conclusion that it would really be a gear reduction problem. Nissan Europa has taken over the repair under the 5-year warranty or 100,000 km.
It was replaced last week and the car is spotless now. Thank you for your help.

Nubo

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:06 pm

corrisi wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:40 pm
Hi people!

After a long process to dignosis the problem of the noise my Leaf NISSAN came to the conclusion that it would really be a gear reduction problem. Nissan Europa has taken over the repair under the 5-year warranty or 100,000 km.
It was replaced last week and the car is spotless now. Thank you for your help.
Awesome. Thanks for the update.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”