Platinum Service at no extra charge!
leonk@mossy.com
http://www.mossyleaf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
858-565-4411x205
Owner/2011 Silver SL-e

kolmstead
Delivery Date: 15 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000257
Location: Ridgecrest, California (100 miles east of Bakersfield)

Re: LEAF won't go into Drive

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:45 pm

OK, I think you folks figured it out. What I didn't observe is that she wasn't putting her foot on the brake BEFORE pressing the go button. She just called again and was stranded. Based on what you told me, I walked her through the procedure, foot on brake before pressing go button, and the car responded perfectly. And special thanks to Dave, who was the first to point this out to me. How's my LEAF's brother doing, now that Carwings is working, Dave?

Again, many thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I think you were right on the money; if I learn differently, I'll let you know!

-Karl (humbled by the reservoir of knowledge available here)

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:00 pm

This is the second post here about unexpected behavior seemingly based on startup process. I posted a startup issue a little while back. I haven't been able to duplicate my yellow light scenario but I've also stopped doing the rapid fire: brake pedal -- push button -- release PB -- slap the shifter routine.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

hey glad everything has been worked out. that is the beauty of an online forum; there are few things that are unique in this world. whatever you are seeing, someone has probably already been there.

as far as Carwings, finally got it going and it was NOT

1)Rairdons fault
2)Nissans fault

it was Carwings fault. they most likely entered in my VIN # incorrectly into their system. So we simply deleted my account, re-entered in the "same" info as before and it works like a charm!
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnr
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Ok, foot on brake *before* pushing power button. This is gonna take some getting used to... :(
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:25 am

johnr wrote:Ok, foot on brake *before* pushing power button. This is gonna take some getting used to... :(
Not for those of us who drive Prii. Shucks, even my wife has that one down cold, and she never has has figured out how to store a phone number in her cell phone.
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

kolmstead
Delivery Date: 15 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000257
Location: Ridgecrest, California (100 miles east of Bakersfield)

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:22 am

Sparky, I saw your other thread after I started this one yesterday. Yes, it appears that we can generate all kinds of random errors by accelerating the boot up and go sequence. I thought that a text error message would always show up in the display, but that doesn't happen. Monika noted yesterday that the little green "ready to go" car shows up long before all the gauge check and caution lights go away. I believe that I was once able to get going without passing through the Carwings agreement screen. That would be a good trick to learn.

As I was fiddling with the car yesterday, I found another one: I had turned the car on so I could read SOC. When I went to turn car off, it thought that I wanted to go, so it kept chiming at me and displaying the plugged-in warning. (Can't go into D or R when plugged in.) I had to get out and unplug the car before it would let me turn it off. I'll try and reproduce that one; you shouldn't have to unplug to shut off.

I discovered on my second day of LEAFing that you need to close the rear hatch firmly. I drove most of way to work with a yellow master caution light and door ajar icon on dash. Latch has two stages; it won't come open on the first stage, but it rattles on bumps and the car complains.

Maybe owning a Prius should be part of training for LEAF? I skipped that step, so I'm learning the hard way.

-Karl

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:47 am

kolmstead wrote:As I was fiddling with the car yesterday, I found another one: I had turned the car on so I could read SOC. When I went to turn car off, it thought that I wanted to go, so it kept chiming at me and displaying the plugged-in warning. (Can't go into D or R when plugged in.) I had to get out and unplug the car before it would let me turn it off. I'll try and reproduce that one; you shouldn't have to unplug to shut off.
Your problem here is that you had your foot on the brake. When in ACC mode, to turn off the LEAF you CAN NOT have your foot on the brake. Simply press the start/stop button.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

LEAFer
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:08 am

ENIAC wrote:
kolmstead wrote:As I was fiddling with the car yesterday, I found another one: I had turned the car on so I could read SOC. When I went to turn car off, it thought that I wanted to go, so it kept chiming at me and displaying the plugged-in warning. (Can't go into D or R when plugged in.) I had to get out and unplug the car before it would let me turn it off. I'll try and reproduce that one; you shouldn't have to unplug to shut off.
Your problem here is that you had your foot on the brake. When in ACC mode, to turn off the LEAF you CAN NOT have your foot on the brake. Simply press the start/stop button.
Although ... if you have your foot on the brake and push "power" to read the SOC ... then the car would attempt to go into "start", which it can't since it was plugged in. Turning it OFF with the foot on the brake at that point ... hmmm ... not sure what it would try to do ... a second attempt to "start" (again unsuccessful) ?

Also: the status of the e-brake ("handbrake") ... which requires foot in brake to release ... may come into play in either a) causing confusion; or b) causing "bugs" (odd behaviour).
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

GroundLoop

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 am

Guys, all the Power States and transitions between them are explained in the Owner's Manual.

:lol:

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”