glass12hk
Delivery Date: 25 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 308881

Re: 2018-2019 Leaf 2.0 "Service EV System. Unable to restart after power off"

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:08 am

I have a 2018 Leaf, purchased on 8/25/2018. I drive a lot. As of 9/11/2019, i drove about 24k miles. On 9/11/2019, i got the "Service EV System. Unable to restart after power off" error message, Nissan Roadside assistance towed it to the dealership. It is now more than 3 weeks in the shop. They said it is the Power Delivery Module and the wires/fuses of it. However, they need the part to ship from Japan. It won't be here until Oct 20.... Who knows how long it will take to repair or if they will find more problems... I really need to get on the HOV lanes (free for alternative fuel vehicle, but the loaner doesn't have the alternative fuel tag). Is there anything i can do??

igranderojo
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2019
Leaf Number: 313533

Re: 2018 Leaf 2.0 "Service EV System. Unable to restart after power off"

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks to henrydehoja I was able to identify operator error.
We charged 2019 Leaf SL PLUS for 3 hours last night on timer, however I forget and left my fob in the cup holder.
The car is my wife's that she drives most of the time. In the morning, I removed my fob from the car and placed back in house.
Later, when she went to drive the car, "Service EV System No Power" error.
Thanks to this post from Oct. 4, 2018 by henrydehoja I was able to follow his procedure, holding my wife's fob in the car and leaving the other fob in the house. Avoided a tow to dealer! Avoided down time without car!
Thank you henrydehoja!
henrydehoja wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:05 pm
I have not seen that on my 2018 Leaf. However, it sounds like it may be an issue with the vehicle immobilizer system. Below is what I see in the manual on this system:

=================================
NISSAN VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM

The NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System will not allow the power switch to be placed in the READY to drive position without the
use of the registered key.

If the power switch fails to place the vehicle into the READY to drive position using the registered key, it may be due to interference
caused by another registered key, an automated toll road device or automated payment device on the key ring. Restart the
EV system using the following procedure:

1. Leave the power switch in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds.
2. Place the power switch in the OFF position and wait approximately 10 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 again.
4. Place the power switch in the READY to drive position while holding the device (which may have caused the interference) separate from the registered key.

If this procedure allows the power switch to be placed in the READY to drive mode, NISSAN recommends placing the registered key on a separate key ring to avoid interference from other devices.
This is my wife's car:
2019 Nissan LEAF PLUS SL Brilliant Silver Metallic 313533
Purchased 6/8/2019 from Carr Nissan in Beaverton OR
Incentives: $2,500 OR rebate, $2,500 PGE-Nissan, $7,500 Fed Tax Credit.
(My car is a 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD)

igranderojo
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2019
Leaf Number: 313533

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:35 pm

OK, so we actually had a bad cell that shorted the 12volt battery.
replaced under warranty today. Car works fine.

The intermittent warning message "Service EV System, no power" lists several different possible causes in the owners manual.
None of them were that the 12 volt battery might be bad.

We followed the procedure below, and then the car worked.
We replaced the batteries in the FOBs and then the car worked.
The last time, we were in a parking lot, and the warning message appeared.
I went back in the building to use the bathroom after calling AAA for a tow to the dealer.
When I came out and tried to put the car in neutral for the tow truck -- the car worked!
I cancelled the tow and drove straight to the deal.....about 0.5miles.
They replaced the battery at a value of about $400-$500.
igranderojo wrote:
Thanks to henrydehoja I was able to identify operator error.
We charged 2019 Leaf SL PLUS for 3 hours last night on timer, however I forget and left my fob in the cup holder.
The car is my wife's that she drives most of the time. In the morning, I removed my fob from the car and placed back in house.
Later, when she went to drive the car, "Service EV System No Power" error.
Thanks to this post from Oct. 4, 2018 by henrydehoja I was able to follow his procedure, holding my wife's fob in the car and leaving the other fob in the house. Avoided a tow to dealer! Avoided down time without car!
Thank you henrydehoja!
henrydehoja wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:05 pm
I have not seen that on my 2018 Leaf. However, it sounds like it may be an issue with the vehicle immobilizer system. Below is what I see in the manual on this system:

NISSAN VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM

The NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System will not allow the power switch to be placed in the READY to drive position without the
use of the registered key.

If the power switch fails to place the vehicle into the READY to drive position using the registered key, it may be due to interference
caused by another registered key, an automated toll road device or automated payment device on the key ring. Restart the
EV system using the following procedure:

1. Leave the power switch in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds.
2. Place the power switch in the OFF position and wait approximately 10 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 again.
4. Place the power switch in the READY to drive position while holding the device (which may have caused the interference) separate from the registered key.

If this procedure allows the power switch to be placed in the READY to drive mode, NISSAN recommends placing the registered key on a separate key ring to avoid interference from other devices.
This is my wife's car:
2019 Nissan LEAF PLUS SL Brilliant Silver Metallic 313533
Purchased 6/8/2019 from Carr Nissan in Beaverton OR
Incentives: $2,500 OR rebate, $2,500 PGE-Nissan, $7,500 Fed Tax Credit.
(My car is a 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD)

henrydehoja
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 317129

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:13 pm

igranderojo wrote:
Thanks to henrydehoja I was able to identify operator error...
Thank you henrydehoja!
Glad it worked. :)
2018 Nissan Leaf S w/QC
Placed in action: 9/2018

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”