turbo2ltr
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 185

Window sealant outside A pillar cover

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Anyone else have this on their A pillar? The passenger side doesn't have it.

Last edited by turbo2ltr on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver SL-e
Ford F450 Crew Cab Hybrid Conversion

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: Window sealant outside A pillar

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:47 pm

This is a picture of the INSIDE, right?

What is missing from the Passenger side, the jagged black "mask" on the outside, or the curl (bead) on the inside?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:57 pm

No, I don't have that. It appears on your LEAF they put a bead of sealant on between the plastic and the window for some reason. It doesn't appear to be as a result of too much window adhesive oozing out. I wonder if there was a rattle they were addressing? That certainly isn't they way to address a leak. I suggest you either go to a dealer and inquire about it or remove it with an x-acto knife.
Last edited by ENIAC on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

turbo2ltr
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 185

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:05 pm

garygid wrote:This is a picture of the INSIDE, right?

What is missing from the Passenger side, the jagged black "mask" on the outside, or the curl (bead) on the inside?
Yes, its of the inside. And yes, the bead of sealant, not the "mask".

I should take a better pic.
Silver SL-e
Ford F450 Crew Cab Hybrid Conversion

EVDRIVER

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Anyone wondering why cars are delayed. Nissan rushes to be first and hastily builds cars and fixes issues on the fly.

Ready2plugin

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:09 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Anyone wondering why cars are delayed. Nissan rushes to be first and hastily builds cars and fixes issues on the fly.
That is a rather strong statement, especially for a "moderator". To me delays are so that they can make this very NEW car right. Last time I looked cars are made by people and people can make mistakes.

EVDRIVER

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 pm

Ready2plugin wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Anyone wondering why cars are delayed. Nissan rushes to be first and hastily builds cars and fixes issues on the fly.
That is a rather strong statement, especially for a "moderator". To me delays are so that they can make this very NEW car right. Last time I looked cars are made by people and people can make mistakes.

Moderator, how is that relevant? Clearly they are having issues, it is showing up and they keep using "quality" control as an excuse. It is evident the cars we rushed to market. I'll take a bet that there will be plenty of fixes and oddities on early cars, that's a fact of rushing production. Even well run lines have issues that get worked out after year one. I worked in manufacturing for a few years and there were always patches made along the way. I find it interesting that I have had a Feb then March delivery date since Dec 10 and could not make a color change since then yet dealers have March production dates and expect them in April. Three months vs one and change. In a way, if I knew I would get the CA rebate for sure I would delay my order for a car build with a more refined production line or even the possibility of the changes that are certain to be offered to later orders in gen1.

Ready2plugin

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:34 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
Ready2plugin wrote:
Moderator, how is that relevant? Clearly they are having issues, it is showing up and they keep using "quality" control as an excuse. It is evident the cars we rushed to market. I'll take a bet that there will be plenty of fixes and oddities on early cars, that's a fact of rushing production. Even well run lines have issues that get worked out after year one. I worked in manufacturing for a few years and there were always patches made along the way. I find it interesting that I have had a Feb then March delivery date since Dec 10 and could not make a color change since then yet dealers have March production dates and expect them in April. Three months vs one and change. In a way, if I knew I would get the CA rebate for sure I would delay my order for a car build with a more refined production line or even the possibility of the changes that are certain to be offered to later orders in gen1.
It is relevant because if someone has the control of what is posted here, it is my opinion, and yes it's only my option, that you should not make statements that have no basis in fact. Also, isn't that gap in timing more have to do with Japan getting the majority of the current build with a mass of cars coming to the US shortly after? With your statements here, I would be surprised if you took delivery, or if you did, kept the car for very long.

LakeLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:18 pm

turbo2ltr wrote:
garygid wrote:This is a picture of the INSIDE, right?

Yes, its of the inside. And yes, the bead of sealant, not the "mask".

I should take a better pic.
Take a picture of the other side too for comparison.

From what I see - it doesn't look bad. I'd be careful about trying to "fix" it and end up making it look bad. Have others noticed it, or is it just something you see?

I have this spot on the front of one of my cars where a stone hit it. To me it looks like a meteorite impacted the car - but no one else seems to have ever noticed.

EVDRIVER

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Show it to the dealer if you stop in and ask them to document it in case you have issues post warranty, etc.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”