2012 LEAF won't charge.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe6pack

Well, that's what I get for bragging about how reliable my LEAF has been over the past 6+ years.

Background: 2012 LEAF SL, 64,000 miles, new high voltage battery in June of 2017. The EVSE is a modified (EVSE Upgrade) original Panasonic upgraded to L2. I've been using this EVSE almost exclusively for the past six years.

When the connector is plugged into the car, it makes the usual noises and the blue light furthest from the steering wheel begins to flash (normal). However, after about 3 seconds, the EVSE clicks off and everything is dead.

The car runs and drives fine with no warning lights. However, I pulled the following codes using LEAFSpy: B29C1 and P3173.

The car is on it's original 12 volt battery, so I know that could be an issue. Since I'm using the original albeit upgraded EVSE, it probably isn't the diode. Any other thoughts?

Really hoping it isn't the charger.

I would try to test the 12V battery and/or connect another 12V battery with jumper cables to eliminate it as the cause of the problem. I would also try to power cycle the car by completely disconnecting the battery, clearing codes with LeafSpy, and trying again.

Also, given the nature of the failure, the EVSE potentially could be at fault. Do you have a friend with a different EVSE you could try, or could you try a public charging station?

There are a bunch of TSB's describing this problem:
NTB13-069: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17078
NTB16-006: https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/latest-uploads/28158-ntb16-006-a.html
NTB13-098: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=399892#p399892

Here's a thread on the topic:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22540

Unfortunately, these don't apply as you have a 2012, not a 2013. But these highlight a probable PDM/Charger problem or a connector problem in the cabling.

Can you visually inspect your charging port and ensure that none of the pins are bent or damaged? You have both a signal stuck code and a on board charging system fault. The thread below talks about a car that had rodent damage where a wire was chewed, causing the problem:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=9435

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go to a public charging station this morning to try and get a charge. Hopefully the Chademo still works. There are also J1772 chargers there as well, so I will give that a try. I'll post a follow up.

Yes, Chademo worked. I then moved over to the Level 2 co-located with the Chademo - no go. this is an EV-Go station. Also, I got the car symbol with the exclamation point and the yellow triangle. When I got home I cleared the codes and tried again with my Panasonic. Same result and the codes came back. The codes are:

B291C 236C Charger EVSE VC-98

P3173 00C0 EV/HEV On Board Charger Sys EVC-236

I have an appointment for Monday at Nissan. The car is out of warranty, so this may hurt a bit.

Ok, question for the gallery. I have the factory service manual for the 2012. I am also a mechanical engineer by training and an excellent ice mechanic having owned and worked on everything from Mustangs to Panteras to Porsches. If you were in my shoes would you:

a) Go ahead and replace the on-board charger yourself with a new or used unit or

b) Go ahead with the appointment with Nissan on Monday which will cost $130 just for the diagnosis.

A new charger is around $1300 and a used unit is around $750 shipped (eBay). I hate to waste $130.

The problem with the dealership option is finding one that employs a LEAF certified mechanic with a good reputation. Depending on where you live, that could be a challenge.

Looking into NTB16-006 too (reprogram of PDM), as that looks like it might be relevant. You can check your VIN to see the recall status here: https://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin

These forum posts too are worth your attention:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=25377&start=10

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24899

Finally, do a Google search of these forums (the forum search feature sucks):

Code:
"P3173" site:www.mynissanleaf.com

Joe6pack said:
b) Go ahead with the appointment with Nissan on Monday which will cost $130 just for the diagnosis.

This one. As you said, you've had the car awhile with very few problems; at least be confident in knowing what the problem actually is.

You're probably right. I am now at the point where I think I will get the diagnosis and quote and call Nissan and see if they are willing to offer any goodwill. I will keep the community posted.

The diode in the onboard charger may have failed in the open state. If so, the diode, its circuit board or the charger will need to be replaced.

Any update on your situation? My 2011 is doing the same thing as of a few days ago. Won't charge via J1772, CHAdeMO still works. LeafSpy reports the same two error codes.

I'm dreading the search for a dealer in range with a competent LEAF tech. You'd think there'd be plenty in the area (SoCal), but last time I contacted my original dealer, they said they no longer had one on staff. I don't get the impression that others in the area are any more interested in supporting this model.

@baronvonshush look on these forums for details on the diode issue. There is a good video on YouTube that explains how to determine if the diode is the problem.

If it charges on DCQC stations, but not on L2 EVSEs, then it's likely it's the diode. The good news is that, if you are handy, you can install a new diode on the J1772 port to resolve the problem on the cheap. Again, there is a post here that explains all the steps, including pictures.

I would greatly appreciate an update from @Joe6pack.
How did you get the issue resolved and what were costs associated?

I just experienced the same issue with my 2012 Leaf. I've tried multiple chargers (level 1 and 2). Charging process starts for about 10 seconds then stops. My DTC codes are B29C1 and P3173. I suspect it's something in the J1772 charge port circuit. Pins on the vehicle side appear to be intact. I've tried charging the 12V, disconnecting it, discharging residual current in cables and reconnecting. So far nothing has worked.

I limped it home at 25 mph last night and made it 22 miles with only 3.7 kwh of charge. I had 0.5 kwh to spare. I had my son-in-law push me around the neighborhood this morning with his truck at about 30 mph and that charged the battery up to 4 kwh. I plan to bring it into the Nissan dealership tomorrow. I'll try the DCQC first to see if the problem is isolated to the J1772 port.

I've seen something about replacing a diode but I'm not sure if that's on the vehicle side. I haven't been able to find the YouTube video yet. So if anyone else has any suggestions or links, that would help me out.

PHXLeaf16 said:
I would greatly appreciate an update from @Joe6pack.
How did you get the issue resolved and what were costs associated?

I just experienced the same issue with my 2012 Leaf. I've tried multiple chargers (level 1 and 2). Charging process starts for about 10 seconds then stops. My DTC codes are B29C1 and P3173. I suspect it's something in the J1772 charge port circuit. Pins on the vehicle side appear to be intact. I've tried charging the 12V, disconnecting it, discharging residual current in cables and reconnecting. So far nothing has worked.

I limped it home at 25 mph last night and made it 22 miles with only 3.7 kwh of charge. I had 0.5 kwh to spare. I had my son-in-law push me around the neighborhood this morning with his truck at about 30 mph and that charged the battery up to 4 kwh. I plan to bring it into the Nissan dealership tomorrow. I'll try the DCQC first to see if the problem is isolated to the J1772 port.

I've seen something about replacing a diode but I'm not sure if that's on the vehicle side. I haven't been able to find the YouTube video yet. So if anyone else has any suggestions or links, that would help me out.

I know it is slow, but try charging with the Nissan 120-volt EVSE that came with the car. It does not do the diode check so it will charge even with a failed diode. By the way, the diode is in the onboard charger. If it fails shorted, an external diode can be added in the wiring between the J1772 port and the onboard charger. If it fails open, the onboard charger must be repaired or replaced.

GerryAZ,
Thanks for the reply.
I did try my Level 1 charger and it will not charge. When plugged in, the blue charging light on the dash comes on for about 5 seconds, then stops. Same thing happens with L2 chargers.

I found a YouTube video of the Diode check procedure and it looks like my Diode is OK. Hi resistance with Black on the common pin (about 5.5 Mohms) and no resistance with red lead to common pin. When diode is blown they say about the same resistance both ways in Kohms.

I went to a DC Quick Charger today and the vehicle Charged fine.

So it seems like the problem resides in the J1772 charge port circuit up to and including the OBC.

Are you aware of method to tell if its the J1772 plug itself?

PHXLeaf16 said:
So it seems like the problem resides in the J1772 charge port circuit up to and including the OBC.
Sorry to pile on with an unhelpful tangent, but in case someone industrious is watching...

With a name like "J1772", it sure sounds as if the plugs are (or claim to be) built to a published interface specification, right? So it ought to be possible to construct testing equipment for both "sides" of that interface, capable of completely verifying compliance to that standard. The service department of at least SOME of the electric vehicle producers should have such equipment. You should be able to plug an EV into a "J1772 inlet tester", push a button, and get a definitive answer as to whether the car's J1772 inlet port is compliant or not. And a "not compliant" verdict should be grounds for repair.

I understand there'd be a teething problem in the initial stages of producing the equipment, since apparently none of the LEAF inlet ports are compliant (the diode issue), and they'd all fail. But the imaginary supplier of the test equipment could just offer a derated "J1772-N" (for Nissan) qualification in those cases .

Levenkay said:
I understand there'd be a teething problem in the initial stages of producing the equipment, since apparently none of the LEAF inlet ports are compliant (the diode issue), and they'd all fail. But the imaginary supplier of the test equipment could just offer a derated "J1772-N" (for Nissan) qualification in those cases .

Actually, the diode issue is that a diode in the charger can break due to overcurrent from the pre-charge cycle not working right, especially if using specific evses (https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/07/dead-leafs-and-ge-chargers/) or unplugging the car right when charging is starting. When the diode fails, the charger has a component failure inside it, which does make it non-compliant (due to being broken).

Nissan made a change in later charger revisions to prevent such a situation from destroying the charger (probably by using the proper voltage rating on the diode). No recall was ever performed so older Leafs remain affected by this issue.

In addition, the original Nissan EVSE did not perform a diode check, which made it out of spec. But best I can tell, the car itself is always within spec.

PHXLeaf16 said:
I found a YouTube video of the Diode check procedure and it looks like my Diode is OK. Hi resistance with Black on the common pin (about 5.5 Mohms) and no resistance with red lead to common pin. When diode is blown they say about the same resistance both ways in Kohms.

I went to a DC Quick Charger today and the vehicle Charged fine.

That's unfortunate that it's not your diode. I would agree that you have an issue with the HV charging system. Have you tried clearing the codes with LeafSpy before trying to charge again? A quick google search indicates that these codes prevent charging. It's possible (but unlikely) that you could just clear the codes and charge.

If not, let me know, and I'll look through the service manual tonight for troubleshooting information.

It might be worth checking the conections of the J1772 receiver’s harness. One is a large connector straight back in, about a foot from the receiver. The other is a small one that connects to the left of the receiver along the front. The small connector is more likely to cause this type of problem.

PHXLeaf16 said:

I did try clearing the codes with Leafspy pro but that did not resolve the issue.

I'm ashamed to admit that I put the car up for sale in Craigslist for cheap and I got several people interested in buying it despite the charging problems. I ended up selling the car this morning. I provided full disclosure and they guy that bought it was willing to take the risk of getting it fixed.

Back