iamchemist
Delivery Date: 20 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 017449

T/M System Malfunction

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 am

I went to start my 2015 LEAF SL a few days ago and got the error message "T/M System Malfunction". The car would not start or allow me to put in into gear.

I feared that there was something major wrong with the transmission.

Thanks to this forum I leaned that this message is often seen, when the 12 V battery voltage is low, which usually happens when the battery is failing.

Sure enough, my battery (only 3 years old and lives in a mild climate) was only charged to 8.3 volts, which is apparently low enough to totally confuse the computer systems in the car and produce a bogus error message.. Removing the battery, charging it up to 12 volts, and replacing it allowed the car to start normally. Replacing the battery with a new one appears to have completely fixed the problem.

Note that this all happened, while I waited for Nissan Service to call me back. They finally did call back about 8 hours after I had called and requested a call back. The initial Nissan Service person that I talked to suggested that I might be able to jump start the car. This is typical of the things I hear from Nissan Service about my LEAF.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Re: T/M System Malfunction

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am

Which is why this forum is worth it's weight in whatever you value the most. :D
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 86,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Levenkay
Gold Member

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:05 pm

iamchemist wrote:Sure enough, my battery (only 3 years old and lives in a mild climate) was only charged to 8.3 volts, which is apparently low enough to totally confuse the computer systems in the car and produce a bogus error message..
Yeah; bummer. See, most microcomputer systems need something like 3.3V to operate, and while it may someday be possible to derive 3.3V from a raw supply that's fallen from 12V to 8V, it's not reasonable to expect Nissan to pull a miracle like that off just now. And besides; those computers probably need a dozen milliamperes or more to run; not the sort of punch that you could reasonably expect from a battery that's only intended to crank a starter motor. Well, maybe you can when it's in tip-top condition, but not one that's been kept on a starvation diet for a few years. Some might wonder whether, on its way down from 12V to 8V, the system computer could find twenty microseconds to record a trouble code signifying, "hey! my misapplied battery's toast!". Dreamers.

Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Levenkay wrote: Yeah; bummer. See, most microcomputer systems need something like 3.3V to operate, and while it may someday be possible to derive 3.3V from a raw supply that's fallen from 12V to 8V, it's not reasonable to expect Nissan to pull a miracle like that off just now. And besides; those computers probably need a dozen milliamperes or more to run; not the sort of punch that you could reasonably expect from a battery that's only intended to crank a starter motor. Well, maybe you can when it's in tip-top condition, but not one that's been kept on a starvation diet for a few years. Some might wonder whether, on its way down from 12V to 8V, the system computer could find twenty microseconds to record a trouble code signifying, "hey! my misapplied battery's toast!". Dreamers.
That post is sarcastic gold. Thanks for making my day.

Add to it: It's also a shame that there's no way to remove the 12v battery entirely. If only there were a large battery of sufficient power, we could avoid the lead acid one entirely...
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

bretthedude
Delivery Date: 07 Sep 2016

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:59 am

Thank you folks - this appears to be our issue: Complete electric dashboard meltdown/freakout!
We initially saw this when rescuing our daughter with a flat tire. We used the 'nissan' fix-a-flat air compressor to inflate a flat tire due to a slow air leak. Apparently - this was enough to dip the 12v battery below the threshold voltage required to properly boot the system. Unclear what was actually wrong - I decided to attempt a brief top-off charge from a nearby 110 outlet for three minutes. Retried - and suddenly all was good. Several days later this all happened yet again without any 'discharge' provocation as we had before - nonetheless; a brief connection to our charging system seemed to get this to start OK. We've never replaced or touched our 2016 SL 12v. battery before - so we'll replace that ASAP. This forum ROCKs!

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:50 am

Always use Ready Mode, NOT Accessory Mode, to run high drain things like air compressors from the car. Accessory mode shouldn't even be an option in most EVs.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”