Dear Nissan: Please Help with missing “Charging Stopped”

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEAFer

Dear Nissan,

I would not be offended if you labeled me “EVangelist”. To ensure my continued strong support of the Nissan LEAF, please consider the following a high-priority bug fix.

Many hours were lost this past weekend while I had to recover from a self-inflicted low state-of-charge. I accept full responsibility for my mistake (running low) and am in no way critical of Nissan in that regard. However, my experience was made significantly worse by the FAILURE of CarWings’ report of the interruption of charging. Not only were the hours of non-charging lost, but I naturally (after discovering the issue) had to take the additional time to perform the charging needed to get home.

It appears that the “Charging Stopped” status is triggered only if the J-plug is unplugged from the charge port. And it appears that none of the following events result in the “Charging Stopped” notification I would expect: an EVSE failure, a tripped breaker, an unplugged portable EVSE, a remotely or manually initiated termination of charging (push the “Stop” button on an Avcon, network initiated termination (e.g. $ limit), etc).

In general, any supply-side “loss” of power should also result in a notification. Possibly a new category (rather than “Charging Stopped”) … such as “Supply Interrupted”.

This morning at home using the Nissan supplied L1 … as illustrated by the sequence below … the “bug” exhibited an even more satirical twist (see 07:59 entry).

*: 3rd Light on dash was still blinking.
SMS (txt message) notifications received Key: “S-U” = “Status Updated” txt; “C-C” = “Charge Complete” txt; “CC-F” = “Climate Control On Failed”; “CC-on” = “Climate Control On”; “CC-A0” = “Climate Control Auto Off”;

I would be very receptive to receiving a call from you. You have my contact information (VIN 215). And I would love to be the first customer with this BUG fixed.

Thank you in advance for your speedy attention to this matter. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18Feb2011 EDIT: Updated the title from "Dear Nissan: Please Fix “Charging Stopped”, Bug01" to "Dear Nissan: Please Help with missing “Charging Stopped”"

Also see my "Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:27 pm" post below in this thread for details. To avoid confusion I did not update the contents above, but it appears something intermittent is happening, rather than an outright bug.

Note some interesting details in the table above, however. Notice with 10mins remaining, but the breaker OFF, the car completed charging (?balancing?"), and then sent a "C-C" message.

Anyways ... does not look like a general bug ...

I don't have my Leaf yet, but this is indeed troubling. My biggest concern going L1 only is that the GFI will trip, interrupting the supply. That circuit has been touchy at times. The water softener is on the same circuit and runs at night. If the draw is enough the regular breaker might trip, also. I'll be watching this thread. Clearly you need to know the charging has stopped when it stops, not later when you're getting ready to drive away. Maybe this is a one-time glitch. I can't imagine it was designed that way, since you already know that when you unplug it the charging stops. You don't need an email unless maybe someone else unplugs it.

I level 2 at home, but at work I use level one, once the plug was not into my extension cord hard enough and I got the text, charging stopped, and once, the breaker went off, I also got the charging stopped text right away. Both times I was able to correct the problem and continue charging. Sounds like you have a bug.

hobbyguy said:
I level 2 at home, but at work I use level one, once the plug was not into my extension cord hard enough and I got the text, charging stopped, and once, the breaker went off, I also got the charging stopped text right away. Both times I was able to correct the problem and continue charging. Sounds like you have a bug.
Yes, indeed, it could be just my car that's exhibiting the bug. But it's happened 4 times now. Twice on Sunday (level 1 at a remote unfamiliar location), once on Tuesday (level 2 (public Avcon after charging for 2+ hours ... don't ask for details :ugeek: )), and 1x today (in the deliberate re-enactment at home on level 1 to illustrate the bug with the table above).

I am curious to know how many other LEAFs may exhibit this problem. It's easy to test your own ... just unplug your L1 or turn off the breaker on your L2.

Rat said:
My biggest concern going L1 only is that the GFI will trip, interrupting the supply. That circuit has been touchy at times. The water softener is on the same circuit and runs at night. If the draw is enough the regular breaker might trip, also.
If you'll be plugging into a 15A circuit that isn't dedicated - I can pretty much guarantee that you'll have nuisance circuit breaker trips.

There's a reason that Nissan has recommended a dedicated 20A circuit for L1 charging AND the L2 EVSE...

You are correct. Going from 3.3 to 6.6 is a very big deal!!!!!! There will not be enough fast chargers to sufficiently solve range anxiety. Come on Nissan. Please adopt this as your standard. Nissan has done so many things right with the Leaf. It is hard to believe they will drag their feet on this change.

We are getting off-topic ... but, yes, I was using L1 as an emergency measure (due to my own mistakes) because that's the only one I could reach safely. But even later, after reaching a Nissan Dealer, I was "stuck" on 3.3kW and would have prefered to get home more quickly ... I would not have expected QC, but since the Nissan Dealer's AV is perfectly 7.2kW capable, I would be more than happy to have an internal 6.6kW charger.

No one else with this BUG ? (And, yes, diff't cars might have different firmware versions.)

Usure why we are not getting more owners to respond with their experiences.
Would turning this into a poll help ?

Are You Getting "Charging Stopped" Notifications if you unplug/turn-off breaker on the SUPPLY SIDE (not the J-plug) ?
1. YES - L1 EVSE ( the only one I tried )
2. YES - L2 EVSE ( the only one I tried )
3. YES - Both L1 & L2 EVSE (if you tried both)
4. YES - L1, but not L2 (unlikely)
5. YES - L2, but not L1 (unlikely)
6. UNABLE TO TEST (don't have car, or other reason)
7. NO - Tested both, neither L1 nor L2 give notification

I am category 7.

LEAFer said:
Usure why we are not getting more owners to respond with their experiences.
Would turning this into a poll help ?

Are You Getting "Charging Stopped" Notifications if you unplug/turn-off breaker on the SUPPLY SIDE (not the J-plug) ?
1. YES - L1 EVSE ( the only one I tried )

Yes, I pulled the plug out of the wall at the end of the hour of L1 I just got done with, and did get a charging stopped notification.

insuring you are plugging into a circuit that can handle the charge is your responsibility. my Leaf never charges above 11.62 amps. my Zenn charged at up to 13.5 amps. never tripped a breaker and have charged one EV or another since Nov, 2007

as far as notifications, i am receiving texts sometimes as little as 5 seconds after i unplug. i dont have the email option enabled.

DaveinOlyWA said:
insuring you are plugging into a circuit that can handle the charge is your responsibility. my Leaf never charges above 11.62 amps. my Zenn charged at up to 13.5 amps. never tripped a breaker and have charged one EV or another since Nov, 2007
Sorry, Dave. I don't think you've been following along on my issue here. :)

Of course, you are correct. But that has nothing to do with what happened. My L1 became unplugged and I did not get notification and did not discover the problem for a long while. In another case the L2 was terminated deliberately manually (proper procedure for an Avcon), and I did not get notified. The only reason I am suggesting a tripped breaker might trigger the issue, and/or to use the breaker to deliberately test the issue, has nothing to do with "insuring you are plugging into a circuit that can handle the charge is your responsibility.".

Okay, I went out and hit the 'cancel timer' button. The LEAF started charging. Went back in the house and verified that Carwings said the car was charging.

Went back out and flipped off the breaker to the AV EVSE. Went back in the house.

No email, but Carwings said that the car wasn't plugged in. In ten or fifteen minutes, I got the expected email.... charging stopped. I went out and turned the breaker back on, and the car went back to 'waiting on timer' mode. I deliberately waited more than fifteen minutes so that the timer defeat would have timed out.

So, LEAFer, it looks like a problem with your car, not a general bug.

Incidentally, I still don't get text messages telling me that charging has started. Never have. I have email selected for charging stopped messages; that works fine (for me).

-Karl

Thanks, Karl & Michael. Yes, could be mine's the only one ... odd.

The "Charging Started" is supposedly still to be fixed ... I don't think it's worked for anyone.

Couple of things occurred to me this morning, before I had any coffee, so take them for what they're worth...

Try email and see if charging stopped messages show up there. That's what I'm using. Just for another data point.

I configured the Carwings messages while using a PC, not from the LEAF's nav screen. Can't imagine that it would make any difference, but if you did yours in the car, maybe...........

With a little coffee in me, they seem like pretty goofy ideas.

-Karl

kolmstead said:
Try email and see if charging stopped messages show up there. That's what I'm using. Just for another data point.

+1 (not a goofy idea at all).

Also, don't discount going back into the OP and disabling/re-enabling the notification check boxes - that was the solution with missing notifications for me a while back.

No charge start messages here either. Like you said....never worked for anyone!

Back