NoReleaf
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:07 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 305255
Location: Wheaton, Illinois, USA

Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:56 pm

So I was in a minor accident with my Leaf the other day (evening). First accident for me in over 10 years, and the first one ever where I was not unquestionably blameless. Imagine making a left turn at an intersection and being clipped rear passenger side just even with the tail light by a 2001 Suzuki Vitara going 35-40 MPH, at an approximate 90 degree angle. The damage certainly isn't minor, but at least it is not terribly extensive. No glass, not even lights (OK, plastic), no doors. The rear panel is toast (and pretty much everything it was attached to is affected), the passenger side blind spot thingamajig was vaporized, and there is a dent deep enough to have widened the rear passenger door crack a bit and caused a little paint chip there. Could have been worse.

My question is mainly to do with the leased vehicle issue. This is my first lease. My understanding is that I need to notify the financing entity NMAC of the accident. Beyond that, I don't know what's different about this situation than the usual report to your insurance company and work it out with them (there were no citations issued and no injuries). If anyone else who has had accident in a leased vehicle can point out anything else I need to be especially aware of in this situation, please do.

Aside from making my Leaf whole and beautiful again as soon as possible - my main interest - I also have to consider how this is going to affect the end of lease strategy. It's an extra reason to want the best repair job possible. So the next question is: Is there are a reason to believe a Nissan dealership is the best choice for the repair? Is the quality of such a repair any less dicey than any other collision shop, and is it simply wiser to go with Nissan because it would reduce the chance of controversy over the car's condition when the end of the lease is upon me?
2018 Leaf SV Gun Metallic (leased)
All-Weather Package, Technology Package

Jerryr
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 am
Delivery Date: 12 May 2019
Leaf Number: 310009
Location: Bradenton, Florida

Re: Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:17 pm

I don’t think there’s an obligation to notify NMAC. You want a body shop that is certified in electric car repairs. I would think using a Nissan dealership would be best to cover you when turning in the lease. They do an inspection at lease end. You would be liable for any damage that is not properly repaired at that time.

The worst thing you could do is take it to a body shop that decides to bake it to cure the paint. That would potentially damage the battery.
2019 SL Plus 5/19- current
2018 SV w/tech and All Weather pkg 5/18-4/19 (traded)
2015 SL 4/15-5/18 (traded)
2019 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate CCSB SRW Diesel
2015 Lexus RX450h
2017 Grand Design RV 337RLS 5th wheel

nrvous
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2018

Re: Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Sorry to hear this and glad you are ok. I totally agree that you should bring it back to Nissan for repairs so that there will be no disputing the quality of the repair at lease turn-in. I found this on the NMAC website but don't know if it applies specifically to leased vehicles.
Hope it helps.

https://www.nissanfinance.com/nmac/arti ... /?ln=en_US
NoReleaf wrote:So I was in a minor accident with my Leaf the other day (evening). First accident for me in over 10 years, and the first one ever where I was not unquestionably blameless. Imagine making a left turn at an intersection and being clipped rear passenger side just even with the tail light by a 2001 Suzuki Vitara going 35-40 MPH, at an approximate 90 degree angle. The damage certainly isn't minor, but at least it is not terribly extensive. No glass, not even lights (OK, plastic), no doors. The rear panel is toast (and pretty much everything it was attached to is affected), the passenger side blind spot thingamajig was vaporized, and there is a dent deep enough to have widened the rear passenger door crack a bit and caused a little paint chip there. Could have been worse.

My question is mainly to do with the leased vehicle issue. This is my first lease. My understanding is that I need to notify the financing entity NMAC of the accident. Beyond that, I don't know what's different about this situation than the usual report to your insurance company and work it out with them (there were no citations issued and no injuries). If anyone else who has had accident in a leased vehicle can point out anything else I need to be especially aware of in this situation, please do.

Aside from making my Leaf whole and beautiful again as soon as possible - my main interest - I also have to consider how this is going to affect the end of lease strategy. It's an extra reason to want the best repair job possible. So the next question is: Is there are a reason to believe a Nissan dealership is the best choice for the repair? Is the quality of such a repair any less dicey than any other collision shop, and is it simply wiser to go with Nissan because it would reduce the chance of controversy over the car's condition when the end of the lease is upon me?

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13222
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:18 pm

As long as the shop that fixes it realizes that it is a leased vehicle, and promises in writing to provide a repair that will meet lease return standards, you don't need to use a Nissan dealership shop to fix it. They often contract that out anyway. If you are worried, have NMAC do a lease return pre-inspection before the body shop's warranty period ends.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:21 pm

I would notify NMAC. You want to know now if they have any demands.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13222
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:39 pm

SageBrush wrote:I would notify NMAC. You want to know now if they have any demands.
Not comparable directly because it wasn't NMAC, but our first leased Prius was in a similar parking lot crash. We used an independent shop that knew it was leased, and who guaranteed a repair that would pass return inspection. It did. More comparably, my 2013 Leaf was in a fender bender in which only the other car was visibly damaged. I didn't make any attempt to replace the very slightly dinged parts on it, and it too passed the return inspection, with no deductions for damage. The lease return inspectors, who are usually third parties, look for visible signs of repaired damage; if there are none, they don't get out the micrometers.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:53 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
SageBrush wrote:I would notify NMAC. You want to know now if they have any demands.
Not comparable directly because it wasn't NMAC, but our first leased Prius was in a similar parking lot crash. We used an independent shop that knew it was leased, and who guaranteed a repair that would pass return inspection. It did. More comparably, my 2013 Leaf was in a fender bender in which only the other car was visibly damaged. I didn't make any attempt to replace the very slightly dinged parts on it, and it too passed the return inspection, with no deductions for damage. The lease return inspectors, who are usually third parties, look for visible signs of repaired damage; if there are none, they don't get out the micrometers.
Anecdotes are not useful here.

Face it, OP is asking if he can keep Nissan in the dark to reduce the chance that he will be asked to pay damages. Ethics aside, my answer to him is that he has to weigh the risks of non-disclosure.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13222
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:27 pm

Anecdotes are not useful here.
Seriously? Are you going to apply Aristotelian logic then, and just deduce the correct answer? Have you ever read the NMAC turn-in inspection requirements? I have. Have you ever turned in a Leaf that was in an accident? I have. Have you ever turned in any leased car that had been damaged and then repaired? My household has.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:43 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Anecdotes are not useful here.
Seriously? Are you going to apply Aristotelian logic then, and just deduce the correct answer? Have you ever read the NMAC turn-in inspection requirements? I have. Have you ever turned in a Leaf that was in an accident? I have. Have you ever turned in any leased car that had been damaged and then repaired? My household has.
Seriously. Your anecdote does not tell him anything about his obligations. Perhaps you just got lucky and dodged a bullet of non-disclosure.

OP can call, or read his contract VERY carefully with the help of a lawyer. Or play stupid. His choice.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13222
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Accident in leased 2018 Leaf

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:52 pm

OP can call, or read his contract VERY carefully with the help of a lawyer. Or play stupid. His choice.
He can read the NMAC inspection parameters (posted often in the end of lease topic - I can post the link here, later) and make sure the car meets them. All he needs is a reputable body shop that regularly deals with leased vehicles and will guarantee passage in writing, as I noted earlier. You are shooting wildly from the hip on this.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”