Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf - won't start

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 pm

danowpg wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:41 pm
Lothsahn wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:05 pm
Thanks for posting the root cause. That helps if we have any other fellow northerners with HV battery issues. ;) Btw, $359+$180 is CHEAP compared to some of the diagnostic costs I've seen around. I would be very happy about that (and leave them a good review). This is why they quoted you $600 originally--turns out it wasn't a battery warranty issue and it's better to be up front about costs than to have a surprise.
Yeah, that's why I wanted to post everything was so that if someone else had an issue, they could learn from it.

My big question is still what IS the main cause?

How did it get corroded?

Is it related to the battery plate recall where corrosion could be introduced?

Where was the actual connection that was corroded - is it within the battery pack enclosure? If so, where does the battery pack warranty end and the electrical warranty stop?

This last question I think is really important. I'm assuming there's a connection somewhere in the battery pack for the main heater?

On the flip side, if I do find out that it has fixed my heater, I still have a quote from 1.5 years ago when my heat stopped working for $3,200 Canadian to replace the heater. Maybe it's still broken, we will know more tomorrow.
Ask them where the corrosion was present. If it was located around the heater plugin, then definitely no. If it was near the battery, maybe?

My understanding is that the recall was only to fix an issue where the battery pack could corrode through, break open, and expose people to high voltages. They basically replaced some plates and brackets to deal with potential corrosion issues. I highly doubt that had anything to do with your corrosion--corrosion around HV connections and plugs.

Also, the battery is fully sealed, so even if the car was driven through high water, it wouldn't have affected components inside the battery (unless something crazy happened). I know someone with 3 flood damaged Leaf's (from Katrina), and when he took the batteries out, they were 100% functional. The rest of the car, not so much. The cars were submerged, in some cases, up to the windows.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Is it related to the battery plate recall where corrosion could be introduced?
No
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

danowpg
Delivery Date: 03 May 2015
Leaf Number: 024077

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:56 pm

So this is what the service log says:
Continue diagnosis for current code of P31E1 HV System Interlock Error - Test All harnesses insulation and circuit resistance - good - Asper techline support test HV connector shorting bar circuit and found open wire from corrosion on heater harness to HV battery - repaired damaged wire and retest shorting bar circuit - good - reconnect high voltage system and codes cleared - vehicle goes into ready mode and drives normally - verified fix - good.
Car works. This did not fix my heater problem.

Daklein
Delivery Date: 02 Sep 2019
Leaf Number: 335449

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:15 pm

danowpg, Having taken mine apart, I think I see what happened to yours. Congrats on having it running again.

There is a high voltage interlock circuit in the battery pack and connectors: there are two small pins and a wire or bar on each plug, the HV heater, the service disconnect, and the main cable to the front. The purpose is to detect if any of the HV battery pack connections are not plugged in, before allowing to close the contactors (and give the ready light). It is a loop within the battery pack and the controller expects to see continuity through the whole loop (all connectors and the service plug are plugged in).

The HV heater plug has a loop of several inches hanging out of the connector. I think mine was tucked into the orange plastic conduit, but it is outside of the plug body. Could have been pinched or nicked and let moisture past the wire insulation. That wire must have gotten moisture in it or the connector, not maintained the circuit closed, and set the code. Fixing that loop of wire solved it.
2014 Leaf S w/ 6.6kw charger & Chademo port, 24kWh ->=> 62kWh !! :o (working on it)

Edelman

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Heater failures are a well known issue. If you do a search you will find detailed teardown that locate the source of the failure. My memory is that Toyota used the same unit and Toyota has been taken care of customers who experienced failures. This appears to be design or manufacturing defect.

danowpg
Delivery Date: 03 May 2015
Leaf Number: 024077

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Edelman wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:07 pm
Heater failures are a well known issue. If you do a search you will find detailed teardown that locate the source of the failure. My memory is that Toyota used the same unit and Toyota has been taken care of customers who experienced failures. This appears to be design or manufacturing defect.
And so far there hasn't been a word from Nissan on the heater issue :/

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”