Immediate charging button behavior

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsf

The user guide says "press the button and charge will start immediately if you plug the car within 15min".

So far, each time (4-5) I tried this in "real world" conditions the charge didn't start as expected and I had to go back into the car to press the button again for the charging to start. I am pretty sure I didn't press it twice but it's not impossible.

I just went to try it in my garage and it worked as expected. I noticed that the middle blue light went ON after pressing the button. But I can't say for sure if this light was ON in previous cases because it was in bright daylight and its possible that I missed it.

Other conditions that are different : the car had just been driven and I was pluging the L1 charger instead of the L2 in my garage. Has anyone else observed similar behavior with this button or it's just another case of "dumb user error" ?

ericsf said:
The user guide says "press the button and charge will start immediately if you plug the car within 15min".

So far, each time (4-5) I tried this in "real world" conditions the charge didn't start as expected and I had to go back into the car to press the button again for the charging to start. I am pretty sure I didn't press it twice but it's not impossible.

I just went to try it in my garage and it worked as expected. I noticed that the middle blue light went ON after pressing the button. But I can't say for sure if this light was ON in previous cases because it was in bright daylight and its possible that I missed it.

Other conditions that are different : the car had just been driven and I was pluging the L1 charger instead of the L2 in my garage. Has anyone else observed similar behavior with this button or it's just another case of "dumb user error" ?
I also noticed a possible issue here. Although I've only charged at a public charger twice. I think the instruction may be wrong. Try this. Connect the EVSE first. Let it go through it's whole process and when you get the three light sequence, then press the button to bypass the charging timer.

I've done it both ways (pressing before or after plugging in) many times and both work fine. I do believe you have to press it *after* you turn the car off though.

turbo2ltr said:
I've done it both ways (pressing before or after plugging in) many times and both work fine.
I've done it both ways as well. However I've seen the issue where it fails to start charging when I press it first. But it always seems to work when I press it last. I had one fail on an AV (public charger at Nissan dealership), once on the Nissan L1, and once on a Clipper Creek. I haven't tried it on the Blink. But basically it's become my habit to connect the car, press the button and check the lights.

I wish Nissan had configured the charge timer to a location based. The charge timer I've set is only for "home", no other location. So the behavior should be that if I'm not "home", check for another charge timer tied to my present location, if not found, then start charging immediately. The "charge immediately" button is plain silly for a vehicle with GPS. The other issue is if I'm away from home and charging and someone pulls the E-nozzle and plugs it back in, if you have a charge timer set, it won't charge. With a location based charge timer solution, it would begin charging again.

ENIAC said:
turbo2ltr said:
I wish Nissan had configured the charge timer to a location based.

Great idea. A friend who owns a Tesla Roadster told me that it does something similar: It remembers the charging level per location. The challenge with is how to make this configurable without turning the interface into a clutered mess.

We just went through this discussion today. Mallory plugged her car in but she hit her timer override switch first, and that center blue light came on. That's the first time I have ever seen that - I plug in first and then push the override switch. So apparently both ways should work, but I've yet to try the one way to see if one is more reliable than the other.

Hello,
IIRC you have 45 seconds after either pressing the button to then plug in the charger or after the charger is plugged in to then press the override switch.

bowthom said:
Hello,
IIRC you have 45 seconds after either pressing the button to then plug in the charger or after the charger is plugged in to then press the override switch.

If you have no timers set, the car should start charging immediately when you plug it in to an active EVSE. The button is to bypass any timers, and you have 15 minutes, not 45 seconds after you press it to plug in and start an immediate charge. Or, you can plug in and then press the switch, and you'll get immediate charging.

You can cancel the immediate charge (timer bypass) by pressing it again.

I surmise that instances where someone had a timer set, and tried to bypass it, and then plugged in and did not get immediate charging MAY be due to having inadvertently pressed the charge switch twice, effectively negating the timer bypass intent.

Reference: User Manual page CH-23 - our experience so far matches the described behavior.

Edit to add - as noted above, the car needs to be Off for the bypass to occur.

It's been a few weeks and it's confirmed. The trick was indeed that the car has to be OFF for the "Cancel timer" button to work. Once I payed attention to this I had no problem ever since.

I know this is an old thread, but the subject seemed right...

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-owner-manual.pdf describes the immediate charge button behavior as, 'To cancel immediate charge mode press the immediate charge switch again.' I have noticed that — with the car off and unplugged — I can press the immediate charge button and the middle blue light lights. Pressing the immediate charge button again turns off the middle blue light.

Once the car is plugged in and the immediate charge button is pressed once, further pressing does nothing. How do I stop charging from within the car without unplugging?

Thanks.

p.s. And how do I stop charging with the NissanConnect EV app? Is the only option to unplug the car?!

Back