Is Daylight Saving Time Set on Your LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENIAC

Make sure your LEAF is set to daylight savings time, especially if you are doing timer charging. Menu/Settings/Others/Clock/Daylight Savings Time "on". Why isn't is this automatic and tied to the GSM network or atomic clock?

Yeah, I thought that was weird too, since it sets the time based in the gps signal. Apparently, it's just the time, not the date, so you have to manually toggle daylight savings time on/off. Funny, in such a high-tech car.

Since the DST has been changing every few years, they have decided to let the user deal with it, rather that have in the firmware and have to update for every location (not to mention some state(s) and counties that don't even respect it to make it even more complex).
I am with Nissan on this one choice, OTOH having 2 clocks that need individual sync is pure idiocy ;)

GeekEV said:
Yeah, I thought that was weird too, since it sets the time based in the gps signal. Apparently, it's just the time, not the date, so you have to manually toggle daylight savings time on/off. Funny, in such a high-tech car.

GPS sends a DST bit that is changed as necessary to track the national DST schedule. So, all they really need to do is have a user settable flag that says ignore (for states that don't follow it) or allow (for states that do) and follow that bit. I have a number of GPS clocks here that do that and they always follow DST perfectly. Personally, I think it is lazy programming on Nissan's part... Don't even get me started on the dash clock!

Fabio said:
Since the DST has been changing every few years, they have decided to let the user deal with it, rather that have in the firmware and have to update for every location (not to mention some state(s) and counties that don't even respect it to make it even more complex).
I am with Nissan on this one choice, OTOH having 2 clocks that need individual sync is pure idiocy ;)

GeekEV said:

ENIAC said:
Make sure your LEAF is set to daylight savings time, especially if you are doing timer charging. Menu/Settings/Others/Clock/Daylight Savings Time "on". Why isn't is this automatic and tied to the GSM network or atomic clock?

Because here in AZ, we don't change to DST. Even my atomic clock can't be changed (DST is automatic) so I have to put it on 'P' when DST starts. We need to have the choice here.

Reminder:
Some PU's TOU meters change DST at the OLD dates, not the NEW dates so the meters Super-Off-Peak window is still on the OLD time.

So, for a few weeks, assuming the clocks in your LEAF have been set ahead, the 12 to 5 AM window will be 1 to 6 AM. Then after the OLD DST-change date, the window will be back to 12 to 5 AM.

This is a good thing for dealers to set up for you when you take the car. Mine wasn't set up so yesterday morning at 7:30 I got into a very cold car. I do keep a blanket in the car but I hate it when it's not preheated. brrrr!

garygid said:
Reminder:
Some PU's TOU meters change DST at the OLD dates, not the NEW dates so the meters Super-Off-Peak window is still on the OLD time.

So, for a few weeks, assuming the clocks in your LEAF have been set ahead, the 12 to 5 AM window will be 1 to 6 AM. Then after the OLD DST-change date, the window will be back to 12 to 5 AM.
That's right, and it's not just southern California. Up here in PG&E territory I believe nearly all TOU meters except new smart meters are GE KV2's which are hardcoded with the old DST dates, so they won't change until the first Sunday in April. Since these meters maintain three internal kWh counters by time of day, PG&E has no choice but to use the old DST dates for billing.

At least we get 7 hours a night for the best rate, rather 5, and that's with the special (E9) EV rate schedules. We get even more with the E6 and E7 solar schedules, which is part of the reason I'm keeping E6 to go along with my "trickle charging".

Ray

mogur said:
GPS sends a DST bit that is changed as necessary to track the national DST schedule.
I have been unable to find anywhere a reference that the GPS signal has a DST flag embedded in it. So far as I know, GPS doesn't even transmit UTC; it doesn't have the "leap second" adjustments. WWVB does transmit a DST flag and UTC, which may be what you're thinking of. I have a WWVB wall clock which indeed automatically adjusts for DST, but the LEAF does not receive this 60 kHz longwave signal. Of course, the cellular networks (which the LEAF uses for Carwings) transmit DST correction information, so likely that is the source the LEAF should use to correct its clock.

Automatic DST correction is a low or no cost feature that is mainly done in software, one which would likely be appreciated by many LEAF owners and which would enhance the hi-tech, futuristic image Nissan is probably trying to project.

It would be nice (but probably no one does it) if it the GPS database had timezone info in it so the user would have the option of having the clock automatically adjust to local time at the car's current location. Although this would be great for many owners, those who lived near a timezone border might wish to disable such a feature after letting it set to their "primary" timezone.

Yeah, it's been discussed here somewhere. Mine is creeping forward a bit too. Cheap clock I guess. Why it isn't tied to the navi unit I don't know...

I called service after my last post and they said they will call Nissan Engineer next week. I don't really want to set my clock every month and it bothers me when I see the differences in the two clocks. I hope there is a switch in the LEAF where it allows me to turn off the bad clock.

It's great to have leaf when you are working in daylight saving time.. Nissan is the best one to ahead in any road.

waidy said:
I hope there is a switch in the LEAF where it allows me to turn off the bad clock.
Although it may look ghetto in the car, I've found that a strip of electrical tape does wonders for blocking out obnoxious LEDs or unwanted displays in my home theater... :roll:

Back