Recall notice July 2019

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanuckEVDriver

Recall notice July 2019

REASON FOR SERVICE CAMPAIGN

“Due to a manufacturing issue, which has since been corrected, certain LEAF vehicle ‘s lithium-ion battery bonding plates may not meet Nissan internal standards for corrosion resistance. The plates may corrode and in areas where road salt is extensively used, could break. In rare cases during vehicle servicing, if both plates break, the battery cover plate is removed and the vehicle is left in READY mode, a technician could be exposed to electric shock if all EV servicing safety instructions are not followed. Although no such incidents have been reported to Nissan, this voluntary service campaign is being conducted as a preventative measure out of an abundance of caution.”

WHAT NISSAN WILL DO

“To assure your continued satisfaction and confidence in your vehicle, Nissan Certified LEAF dealers will replace the lithium-ion battery bonding plates and mounting bolts at no charge to you for parts and labour. The service could take up to one and half (1.5) hours to complete, but your dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule."

My appointment is July 31st.

Did anyone else receive this? Perhaps this is only for Canadian LEAF owners? We do use a lot of salt in the Winter on our roads and highways in Ontario.

I have an appointment for my annual battery check on 7/29. It will be interesting to see if they mention it then or do the update. BTW, the service lady said there was no charge for the battery check as long as the car was < 3 years old. It will turn 2 on 8/1 so maybe I'll get one more free check. I guess we'll see next year.

And to answer your question, I have not received any communication from Nissan (yet) about this recall.

Received the notice too. 2014 SL. Don't think road salt is much of a problem in SoCal but might as well stay up to date on the recalls.

Yes, just received the recall notice too. Haven't had a reason to be back to the dealer the past few years, but will probably have the work done in a few months once they have some time to practice on others first. :)

We have ours scheduled for Friday. When we called they actually knew what we were talking about and even said they had a few of the "parts" ready to go and they would hold a set for our 13 leaf. Maybe it is becasue we live in the land of snow and salt up here....

I had my 2017 in for the annual battery check (and to sit in a 2019, just for kicks....) yesterday. I didn't mention the recall but the service guy told me about it and ordered the parts. It's interesting they haven't gotten ahead of this but I suppose there's no money in it so why hurry?

This is in Boulder, CO which has to be close to the top of the heap for Leafs-per-capita. It really surprised me that they had to order the parts.

I took my 2011 first gen Nissan Leaf in today to have AC compressor speed increased due to intermittent AC Cooling and yes the service advisor told me about this recall and I am having it done at Peoria Nissan AZ.

Does anyone have a technical diagram of where these plates are and what they do? Just for reference.

Hi,

I just had this recall performed on my 2018 Leaf S. Takes about 90 minutes from what they said and they gave me a loaner. Car seems fine and happy just like it was before.

Info from the service invoice:

NTB19-055
P9312 Leaf Battery Plate
(2) 744J7-5SVB0A Plate-Frame
(4) 01456-00031 Screw

I don't have a diagram but this article seems to go into some technical detail:

https://www.autoconnectedcar.com/2019/07/what-to-do-about-nissan-leaf-battery-bonding-plates-recall-notice/

danowpg said:
Does anyone have a technical diagram of where these plates are and what they do? Just for reference.

goldbrick said:
I had my 2017 in for the annual battery check (and to sit in a 2019, just for kicks....) yesterday. I didn't mention the recall but the service guy told me about it and ordered the parts. It's interesting they haven't gotten ahead of this but I suppose there's no money in it so why hurry?

This is in Boulder, CO which has to be close to the top of the heap for Leafs-per-capita. It really surprised me that they had to order the parts.

I’m taking in my 2015 on Thursday - hope Boulder Nissan has the parts!

Even after they asked me about an oil change to go with the recall service. 😂

I took my 2016 in for a broken driver's side door handle and they brought this up and just did it.
I do not think I need it in California, but they did it fast.

Since it is a "road salt" issue, it must be a part exposed to water/salt? Thus the bottom of the battery tray?

brycenesbitt said:
Since it is a "road salt" issue, it must be a part exposed to water/salt? Thus the bottom of the battery tray?

Heh heh. I wonder how those of us who regularly go thru car washes (including under carriage rinse) twice a week are affected. The car always looks great but maybe it’s decaying from the bottom up. :).

lutefisk said:

Maybe that's why they told me it would take most of the day...even though It sounds like a 30 minute procedure once the car is up on the lift.

And lutefisk???! Don't tell me you actually eat that stuff. :shock:

goldbrick said:
lutefisk said:

Maybe that's why they told me it would take most of the day...even though It sounds like a 30 minute procedure once the car is up on the lift.

And lutefisk???! Don't tell me you actually eat that stuff. :shock:

Took about 1hr 20m this morning. Easy-peasy.

I've got some lutefisk frozen in the freezer. Working up the courage to have some.

Good luck with the lutefisk. My mom likes the stuff although I can't understand why.

This also reminds me of a guy I know who absolutely loves Durian. He said the first 6 times he tried it he hated it but now he can't get enough. So maybe if it's not your cup of tea off the bat you just have to keep at it :lol:

2018 SL
Brought car in at 7:45, started work at 8:00, completed at 9 am.
They also performed multi point inspection and tire service, so I assume recall takes less than an hour to complete.
Just waiting for car, dealer washes car complimentary.

I got the notice in July and brought the car in for service in September for the recall, state inspection, and annual battery check. All work took approx 2 hours, with multi-point inspection.

The recall replaces a simple plate that connects the battery to the car frame as an extra, extra, extra grounding point.
If I had known specifics ahead of time I would not have bothered.

Back